New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 01:16 AM
Find More Posts by marblekit
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Oct 2014
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
By the way, if you hain't already discovered it on yer own yet, don't store the wings nested, guys:
I put the wings back into the plastic bags they came in
marblekit is offline Find More Posts by marblekit
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:19 AM
Find More Posts by marblekit
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Oct 2014
75 Posts
Alternative props for stock motors?

My mule came with badly unbalanced three bladed props. I want to get CW & CCW two bladed props that will also fit these unusual stock motor shafts. Will APC props fit? How do you mount them without the nuts coming loose (and then the prop)?

If APC props are no good, then what other brand will work. I see others who have bought the kit version are using their own motors with more traditional collet style prop adapters, but these stock motors have me all confused...
marblekit is offline Find More Posts by marblekit
Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM
Find More Posts by subsonic
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marblekit View Post
My mule came with badly unbalanced three bladed props. I want to get CW & CCW two bladed props that will also fit these unusual stock motor shafts. Will APC props fit? How do you mount them without the nuts coming loose (and then the prop)?

If APC props are no good, then what other brand will work. I see others who have bought the kit version are using their own motors with more traditional collet style prop adapters, but these stock motors have me all confused...
Cut off the supplied threaded motor shaft leaving 15mm remaining. Fit one of these to each side: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16578

The supplied jam nut solution and threaded shaft really is crap. Almost impossible to get a reliable connection between prop and shaft. I can't believe model manufacturers continue to supply aircraft like this. I was very happy to chop the shaft off and junk the supplied props. You can also replace the shaft completely if you like with a solid 4mm one. Available anywhere, just trim whatever length you get to 53mm length

I've tried APC 10x7's, and 11x5.5s. The 11" props only work with the FPV canopy, and even then occasionally touch the foam. No big deal, but causes cosmetic damage. I've also used MAS 10x7 three bladers, but you really should upgrade your ESC's to 40A per side if going this route. Nice performance from the MAS props compard to the stockies.

Sub.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Last edited by subsonic; Yesterday at 02:03 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM
Find More Posts by StarHopper44
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
6,670 Posts
Yo Subs -- on those 11x5.5's? Nothing wrong with snipping the tips off a tiny bit -- just be sure to re-balance as needed. There's a popular Reno Racer ARF that runs best with a prop that isn't made - you buy a 12x12 & cut 1/2" off (1/4" off each tip). Works the charm!
Other mileages might vary, as they say - so be sure & do a wattmeter check also.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM
Find More Posts by subsonic
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Yo Subs -- on those 11x5.5's? Nothing wrong with snipping the tips off a tiny bit -- just be sure to re-balance as needed. There's a popular Reno Racer ARF that runs best with a prop that isn't made - you buy a 12x12 & cut 1/2" off (1/4" off each tip). Works the charm!
Other mileages might vary, as they say - so be sure & do a wattmeter check also.
That's actually not a bad idea. One other reason I don't like the 11x5.5's much is because the tips run so close to the fuselage, they make an odd noise intermittently. Maybe trimming the tips will help that too.

I did put my 11x5.5's on the meter the other day, but I was using an old lipo that sagged to 10.6V under load. Results:

Props: APC 11x5.5 L/R
Amps: 60.11
Vmin: 10.6
Watts: 649.7
Thrust: 2480g

Quite a bit of static thrust which is great for a quick getaway, and remember I use a pair of 40A ecs's in mine. The stock 30A's would be on the limit, and worse so on a decent battery.

I've since dropped down to APC 10x7's which look like this on the same battery:

Props: APC 10x7 L/R
Amps: 57.96
Vmin: 10.74
Watts: 626.5
Thrust: 1750g

You can see that although the current is similar, the static thrust is much lower which is obvious on takeoff. I think the high pitch is partly stalled on the bench.

It's only part of the story though, because the cruise amps are much lower with these 10" props which is why I like them for FPV. On the 11x5.5's my cruse power was about 145W, where on the 10x7's I can cruise happily at 120W for the same speed which is a big difference.

Sub
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic