SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2015, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by tc1971at
United States, TX, Forney
Joined Jan 2007
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenx5 View Post
Are you guys all running the stock servos or have you changed them out?
Still running stock servos in the pair of VisionAires currently flying...
Probably still under (or around) 100 flights each and no issues.
I suppose if I get the "opportunity" to replace them at some point I would likely go with Hitec Digitals if I keep the AS3X in it...probably 5065's....maybe 5085's...

Have seen a number of posts about guys successfully using HXT-900s...but I just always run Hitecs when I replace anything... purely out of personal preference...

My (V1) CZ Yak and my Scimitars are running HS-85MG's but nothing digital as those don't have any of the AS3X stuff that "recommend" the digital servos.

Thanks,
TC
tc1971at is online now Find More Posts by tc1971at
Last edited by tc1971at; Apr 29, 2015 at 10:14 AM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2015, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,133 Posts
I'm running the 900s on the elev. and rudder. Have to put in about a 1/4 in. of foam as a filler. The 900s are about that much shorter. Been in there about a yr. now and they're working fine. One of the ail servos as starting to jitter, so going to have to replace it. Probably both to keep them matched.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 29, 2015, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by eghershey
FB Group: We Fly RC's
Joined Mar 2007
538 Posts
I just picked up a fuselage and wings for a VisionAire. Both in pretty good shape for being crashed and repaired but done well. I think I'll use a much larger motor (4 cell) that I have from an Extra and build another VisionAire but make it pretty radical in the HP department. Has anyone had positive results in this type of conversion?
eghershey is offline Find More Posts by eghershey
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,166 Posts
I've been thinking the same thing. I like Rimfire .15's on 4S and it's a fairly light motor.
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Apr 30, 2015, 02:47 AM
Find More Posts by jiggz
"its not a hobby its obsession
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
2,475 Posts
What about the Cz yak setup ..should be able to swing a 13x4 on 4s for lots of torque
jiggz is offline Find More Posts by jiggz
Old May 17, 2015, 02:30 AM
Find More Posts by jiggz
"its not a hobby its obsession
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
2,475 Posts
Hey guys ..managed to get my VA out for a couple batts last night and got some footage from my pole cam ..still need lots more practice ..but I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable
Jeff

Visionaire 3d pole cam (5 min 55 sec)
jiggz is offline Find More Posts by jiggz
Old May 24, 2015, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by Willie T
What goes up, will come down..
United States, FL, Zephyrhills
Joined Jun 2011
196 Posts
I took my VA out yesterday and few were flying because of the wind. I haven't flown this plane in a bit. It really seemed a bit mushy as I remembered. So upon returning home I hit the forum for some info. This morning I installed a P10 and APC 12x6 prop. It draws 42 amps at WOT. We had a short break in the rain here so I flew 1 battery at the end of our street. All I can say is WOW!Thank You all here at RC Groups for your info. It is much more lively, holds a hover much better and the throttle response is almost like my PA planes...... I am really going to enjoy windy day flying with this plane!
Willie T is offline Find More Posts by Willie T
Old Yesterday, 05:32 AM
Find More Posts by Deerslayer
Kingston Ontario Canada
Joined May 2006
257 Posts
Floats?

I am still looking to see what others may have done to use floats on the VA. What size floats, weight, location, homemade or bought,etc.? Thanks, in advance.
Deerslayer is offline Find More Posts by Deerslayer
Last edited by Deerslayer; Yesterday at 07:59 AM.
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by gtzero
Huck'in Addict
United States, FL, Crestview
Joined Feb 2014
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eghershey View Post
I just picked up a fuselage and wings for a VisionAire. Both in pretty good shape for being crashed and repaired but done well. I think I'll use a much larger motor (4 cell) that I have from an Extra and build another VisionAire but make it pretty radical in the HP department. Has anyone had positive results in this type of conversion?
Yep, I run my VA on both 3S and 4S with an NTM Prop Drive 1000KV. I've only run a 13X4 prop on it so far with the stock ESC (Both 3S and 4S amps are fine with both -30C batts). Works great! You will have to watch your speed if you are using the stock receiver( oscillations), but the VA really seems to like more power. 4S wakes the plane up and give a lot of punch out in a hover, but it's still in no way a speed demon.

I do have something to report about servos. I honestly recommend sticking with stock or a higher level digital servo for the ailerons. The HXT-900s are great but didn't quite have the bite I needed for a nice smooth roll rate. They actually get blown back a bit. I went back to the stock digis in the wings and the roll rate is back to nice and smooth. The HXTs do work great for elevator and rudder though.

Dee
gtzero is offline Find More Posts by gtzero
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by gtzero
Huck'in Addict
United States, FL, Crestview
Joined Feb 2014
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I took my VA out yesterday and few were flying because of the wind. I haven't flown this plane in a bit. It really seemed a bit mushy as I remembered. So upon returning home I hit the forum for some info. This morning I installed a P10 and APC 12x6 prop. It draws 42 amps at WOT. We had a short break in the rain here so I flew 1 battery at the end of our street. All I can say is WOW!Thank You all here at RC Groups for your info. It is much more lively, holds a hover much better and the throttle response is almost like my PA planes...... I am really going to enjoy windy day flying with this plane!
I'm excited to try a 12X6 prop on my setup. I've heard really good things about that size prop, but I have to wait to get some in. What KV is your Power 10 motor?
gtzero is offline Find More Posts by gtzero
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by Willie T
What goes up, will come down..
United States, FL, Zephyrhills
Joined Jun 2011
196 Posts
I want to say it is 1100 but I am not 100% sure.....
More flights today.... Awesome......
Willie T is offline Find More Posts by Willie T
Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM
Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,166 Posts
Three of us flew our VA's in some pretty strong sea breeze today and what a blast. Some hard and fast stuff and my favorite hanging post stall stuff. So cool to hang a harrier into the wind and barely move and then start going backwards. What a fun plane. My beater needs to really have the throttle working for all the 3D stuff but it works well for the hell its been through.
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer