Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
3,600 Posts
Discussion
Hobby Kings Laser cut J3 Cub

I have looked at the semi kit occasionally but when the price dropped to around $A32 I decided to grab it as the $Au is sadly losing purchasing power fast so prices are rising quite dramatically.
Anyway I tucked it away for a few months while I completed some other projects and finally dragged it out a few days ago.

The kit is very basic but the laser cutting is superb. In the Files section there are some nice photos where one chap has done a nice job and made this little Cub look great. There is no hardware supplied so you are on your own there and that is probably a good thing as you can select all your own components. The plan is a series of fairly poor quality photos, however, anyone with experience will hardly need to reference them.
I had a heap of spare motors etc lying around so my initial cost is very low.
There is no undercarriage or pushrod hardware so it really is a experienced builders kit.
There is a cowling supplied but it is very basic and not a nice look on the ones I have seen finished, however it does fit perfectly if that is any consolation.
I will have to explore other possibilities there and have ordered some glass cloth to play with.
In no hurry to complete this so I will just add pics over time.
One thing, I will not be doing it Cub Yellow.
I have also cut a little more of the excess balsa from the rear fuse and added extra framing as my covering will be transparent.

More in time.

Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Yesterday at 06:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts