New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2015, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by speedy01
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,621 Posts
Discussion
EasySky micro FW190D "Dora". DSM2 Compatible

A thread on the new micro long nose Dora was started in the Electric Warbird forum, but I think this model has a place here too. So here's a crosslink to where karltrek did a great review:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2404670

The model was easy to set it up on my DX-9, with the gear switch turning the stabilization On/Off. Rates, expo, etc programmed "as normal". Of course alongside my Easysky P-38, I now have two Easysky transmitters to put in the dusty box with the multiple E-Flite chargers I've accumulated. Maybe Easysky will at some point give a BNF option for a little less $$, making a good deal even better!

I haven't "checked" the model against scale drawings, but as shown below, it appears to me to be somewhat semi-scale - only in the oversized tail section (likely designed to enhance flying qualities). So far I've only enhanced the panel lines with a Sharpie, and added swastikas. Next, the statue posing as the pilot needs "enhancement" or replacement. Lots of possibilities for other schemes ....

All in all a great looking model that I'm looking forward to flying tomorrow. I hope Easysky/Amain continues with the good quality, great price, and unique subject matter, giving HH a run for my money!!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2015, 03:08 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,621 Posts
Initial Impression :)

Hopefully interest in this warbird will pick up as more folks get theirs .... I’ll post some of my initial observations across a couple of following posts.

First – how does it look? Pretty good FW-190D-9 outline. Finish is very good, but the color scheme is uninspired. But lots of good marking and color info available through Google for those who want to adventure a repaint. I’ll convert the second one I have coming back to a short nose FW-190A-8 just for grins.

Second – how does it fly? Pretty good, but with the three axis stabilization turned on, EXCELLENT. Rock solid, but when inverted, hesitates to roll out with 100% stabilization turned on.

Third – how good is the included transmitter? Touted as a 4 channel with 5 channel receiver ... but I have: TAER; plus gyro gain control on a knob, variable … Off to 100%; plus a Hi/Lo rate toggle switch. Since the model is DSM2, I am using my DX9, with Gear (Channel 5) acting as gyro gain off/on (will make it variable when I figure that out). No problems at all as concerns binding as usual.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jun 01, 2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old May 31, 2015, 03:09 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,621 Posts
The Insides

I opened the model to see what kind of gear is used (and in preparation for my modifying the second fuselage to a short nose Würger ). Prying open just one fuselage side was easily accomplished using lighter fluid carefully and sparingly applied by brush along the seams. Once the fuselage was opened, I was surprised on a couple of counts:

First, there is no brick – all surfaces are moved via small servos similar in size to the HobbyKing 1.7g gems. HOWEVER, the receiver accepts, and each servo has, five leads (vice “standard “ three). That means standard micro servos will not mate up with the receiver - the servo electronics are on the Rx vice inside the servos. Replacement EasySky servos are only $6.

Second surprise is the motor (the following is relative to a "standard" Parkzone motor) - the EasySky motor is a standard 8.5mm size, and has a 9 tooth pinion (good), BUT that pinion is much smaller at 2 .7mm than the standard ~3.3mm (bad – standard won’t mesh with gearbox). That means replacement motors will need new pinions (or use the pinions of the replaced motors) … alternately, the gearbox and motor need to be replaced as a unit.

As an aside, the plug from the motor to the Rx is non-standard (only two pins of a four block connector are used), but the receiver easily takes a standard plug. The gearbox’s prop shaft is threaded (and the three blade prop is nicely molded with just a little flex).

I haven't made any thrust comparisons yet.

Gene K
Last edited by speedy01; Jun 03, 2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old May 31, 2015, 03:10 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,621 Posts
reserved

(Things I learned about EasySky transmitter and receiver)
Last edited by speedy01; Jun 01, 2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by mtflyr
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,104 Posts
Good write up and info as usual Gene. I like the looks of that bird. I just flew my P-38 for a little. Been traveling and I have not flown anything for a while.

Will get back into things soon. Hope all is well with you.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Jun 25, 2015, 03:08 AM
Find More Posts by karltrek
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,792 Posts
I have no prob moving the thread over to the micro forum. Probably more appropriate here.
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:25 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karltrek View Post
I have no prob moving the thread over to the micro forum. Probably more appropriate here.
No interest here.

Thanks, Pete. All's quiet on my front as concerns RC building and flying. Moved back into plastic scale modeling.

Gene
Old Jun 29, 2015, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by jwman
Chillicothe, OH
Joined Mar 2008
288 Posts
Just saw that amain has these on sale for 69.95 so I hit the buy button. Now the wait.
jwman is offline Find More Posts by jwman
Old Jun 30, 2015, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by pjdog350
Joined Apr 2013
1,196 Posts
You guys are killing me!!! I have so many of these. And I've gotten interested in 250 slow fly planes like the Nieuport 17. These are so gentle!

I've was screaming for German UMX's for a while. Now they are on sale from A-Main. A-main are good to deal with. Guess I'll bite the bullet too?

Does it fly as good as it looks?

Jack
pjdog350 is online now Find More Posts by pjdog350
Old Jul 02, 2015, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,588 Posts
Yep I hit the buy button too

1 x EZSY-2003 = $69.99
EasySky Enterprise Focke Wulf FW-190D 395mm RTF Micro Warbird Airplane w/2.4GHz Radio
2 x PTK-5109-14 = $15.38
ProTek RC 1S "High Power" Li-Poly Micro 35C Battery Pack (3.7V/200mAh)
4 x PTK-LP-160-1S25 = $15.96
ProTek RC 1S "High Power" Li-Poly Micro Heli/Airplane 25C Battery Pack (3.7V/160mAh)
Sub-Total: $101.33
UPS Ground: $0.00
Discount Coupons (jul41575): $-15.00
Total: $86.33
happy buyer here for sure.
Just got the info now they shipped it out UPS so as stated above now the wait.

I already got the P-38( got it too at the same deal saving when they had it for the P-38) and I am impressed in how well it flies. Very stable and rock steady on the turns even with the thrust vectoring motors and the stabilization stuff. I bound it to my new DX6 and I also put the control rod for the elevator into the second hole from the top giving me more throw. I took it out this evening for it's maiden flight. One can fly very fast (well not that fast but good enough) and yet slow it down keeping it well under control. I hope the FW is the same in flight performance.
Along with my Alpha kit FW 190D9 kit (I still yet to start it) I'll have a nice two unit flight to hunt down those nasty little P-51 that occupy the local airspace.
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Last edited by NEWBEFLYER; Jul 02, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2015, 08:26 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,588 Posts
Was thinking of converting over to PZ brick and motors, wonder if the same system that is used for the UM T-28 Rx with the extra bell crank and servo for the ailerons and maybe the UM radian motor (I think it a little better than the P-51 mustang motor) would work in it. I looked at Speedy01 pictures and it does look like it would be a bit of a job. Maybe a little tweaking around with it it might work. I'll worry about it later. If anyone has the inclination to try this would be interested to see how it turns out.
Old Jul 02, 2015, 09:32 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
Was thinking of converting over to PZ brick and motors,....
Why the brick?? The motor I can understand when it starts to falter since its "non standard". but I think the stock stabilized receiver is pretty good ... so far.

Gene K
Old Jul 03, 2015, 02:54 PM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,588 Posts
I think you're right Gene, I'll leave it alone for now and when it arrives(the UPS says 9th) I'll fly it stock. Why mess up a good thing. I love the P-38 too and it flies real nice.
Old Jul 08, 2015, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by jwman
Chillicothe, OH
Joined Mar 2008
288 Posts
Dora arrived late yesterday by big brown truck! Man the detail and quality of this plane is very good. I would rate it as good as if not better than the HH UMX warbirds. She bound right up to my Dx6i and everything works very smooth. Now just need to find the tome to put her into the air. Not sure why there is not more interest in this plane from the warbird group. We have all been hounding HH for some axis warbirds over the years. I hope Easy Sky come out with a Zero next
jwman is offline Find More Posts by jwman
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by swissrocky
Joined Jul 2015
1 Posts
As a beginner I bought this plane, and I can assure that (even if I had NO experience what so ever) that this is easy and really fun to fly. My problem is that (as every noobie does quite fequently) I managed to crash my plane pretty hard and broke the left elevator hinge, and I noticed that it's quite hard to fix it, since the hinge itself is REALLY thin. I tried to fix it by "replacing" the hinge with packing tape, but the elevator doesn't move simmetrically anymore (the side which doesn't have the horn, that I broke, moves less then the other one). I really wish there were parts for this plane, as at the time I write this, there are currently very few replacement parts (only props, motors and motor mounts). I was thinking to fix my problem by maybe trying putting some small plastic hinges, but they may have too much resistance for the small metal wire thats moving the controls... What do you guys think would be a good idea to solve my problem (PS. I put the tape on both sides thinking that I would have avoided the problem I am facing now. Thanks for answering me and have a good day (or night...)
swissrocky is offline Find More Posts by swissrocky
Last edited by swissrocky; Jul 21, 2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Grammatical errors...