New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2011, 02:43 AM
Find More Posts by AmiFish
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jul 2011
39 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing Combat & Slope Soaring Wing

I'm building one of these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11440

This is my first wing, but I can't figure out how to attach the elevons. What kind of tape should I use? And how do I tape them so I still get enough up and down movement?
AmiFish is offline Find More Posts by AmiFish
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by RCFLYBOY1
CERTIFIED CRASH ARTIST
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Mar 2011
66 Posts
Wing

Hey; Wings are a ton of fun. For hinges I use 3m scotch satin finish tape. It holds up great and if you need to remove it you can. For a more permanent job I use 3m clear packing tape it holds up well and it comes on a dispensor with a cutter on it. Hope this helps; Jim
RCFLYBOY1 is offline Find More Posts by RCFLYBOY1
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by faa51408
Joined Feb 2007
101 Posts
3M Moving & Storage tape works great, do a search in the Ritewing thread to see the proper technique by Chris Klique on elevon installation. The new clear duct tape works great also. No tape that I've tried will stick to bare wire cut EPP foam. Using your finger, put a very thin layer of Goop(any flavor) on the wing and elevon where the tape will go, let it set up for 15-30 minutes, then apply the tape. This method will give you a permanent installation, so you might want to practice the hinging technique first before Gooping the foam.
faa51408 is offline Find More Posts by faa51408
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
39 Posts
I found this:

Ritewing elevon attachment (10 min 26 sec)

But the elevons on my wing have the two 45 degree angles cut like ' < '. So I don't know if it quite matches with how mine works. Maybe it's one of those things that I have to go through trial and error with.

I'm sure it's super simple once you've seen it in person. Whenever I ask someone for help in person, I get a responses like "oh, it's one of those Zagis... never built one of those before". And sometimes I think they treat me this way because of my gender.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by DT56
Joined Aug 2005
2,790 Posts
Welcome aboard RC Groups AmiFish!

You might look at this video on elevon hinges on the JW60 plank. It depicts using a couple of spacers between the elevons and wing to set the hinge gap during the tape application. This is for a dynamic soaring plane that reaches high speeds, so should work fine for your wing.

Video title: "JW Hinge Compression hinge Bowman Hinge"
http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...hp?photo=30984

Here's a post detailing the process:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...19&postcount=2

L2 Airframes, the manufacturer of the JW60, recommends 3M375 tape for hinging.
http://shop.l2airframes.com/product....6&categoryId=6

Many folks prefer a single bevel on the control surface, because it works well and is easier to hinge.

Good Luck!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:36 AM
Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiFish View Post
I'm building one of these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11440

This is my first wing, but I can't figure out how to attach the elevons. What kind of tape should I use? And how do I tape them so I still get enough up and down movement?
u will find in your kit it comes with small paper type material hinges they are rubbish as mine pulled clean out of the wing i have mine covered with lamination film than attached the elevons with fiber tape not the best job i uploaded my videos to the video link on the hobbyking web page of this model flying it isnt the greatest wing IMO its low quality 1.3EPP and basically **** but hey for $20 if u keep the speeds slow im sure it'll fly great all i wanted from it was to fly fast...
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Jul 22, 2011, 01:40 AM
Joined Jul 2011
39 Posts
Lamination film sounds like a good idea. How can I tell how hot I need to get the iron to get the laminate to stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza2003au View Post
u will find in your kit it comes with small paper type material hinges they are rubbish as mine pulled clean out of the wing i have mine covered with lamination film than attached the elevons with fiber tape not the best job i uploaded my videos to the video link on the hobbyking web page of this model flying it isnt the greatest wing IMO its low quality 1.3EPP and basically **** but hey for $20 if u keep the speeds slow im sure it'll fly great all i wanted from it was to fly fast...
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:23 PM
Find More Posts by faa51408
Joined Feb 2007
101 Posts
The lamination film that I have needs high temps, I use the 'high' setting on my folding teflon coated travel iron(Salvation Army store, $3.99). However, it won't stick too good to EPP foam unless you mask off and spray the area first with 3M90 glue(Home Depot, $13.99). Let it dry for 30 minutes to one day depending on ambient temperature, then iron on your laminate film. It's always a good idea to try it on a scrap piece or not-so-visible area first. If you decide to cover the whole wing, you will end up with a very tough, almost indestructible wing.
faa51408 is offline Find More Posts by faa51408
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:39 PM
Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiFish View Post
Lamination film sounds like a good idea. How can I tell how hot I need to get the iron to get the laminate to stick?
usr the thinness film u can find or use vinyl covering this is much better is sticky and heat shrinks
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Old Jun 19, 2014, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by SilbernerSurfer
I dont like crashes!
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jul 2013
1,679 Posts
How can i strengthen the control surfaces? Should i use foam glue in the slice?

It should be as light as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Uwe
SilbernerSurfer is offline Find More Posts by SilbernerSurfer
Old Aug 02, 2015, 12:45 PM
Find More Posts by daneelgiskard
Joined Sep 2014
142 Posts
Hi all! In this video we do an unboxing review of the "HobbyKing Red Eagle Combat & Slope Soaring Wing". In addition to the unboxing, we measure its weight. We also discuss a possible power and FPV system for this wing. Hope you enjoy it, if you do - please leave a thumbs up or subscribe to my channel :-)

HobbyKing Red Eagle Combat & Slope Soaring Wing: Unboxing review (9 min 29 sec)
daneelgiskard is offline Find More Posts by daneelgiskard