HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2013, 11:47 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2013
26 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Quality?

I was wondering what everyone's experience has been with the quality of goods coming out of Hobby King. My brother always gives me a hassle for buying non-American made goods and I typically counter with "look at the price".

That being said, I built my first quadcopter recently and have already gone through 2 frame arms of the Q450 (I was fortunate enough to purchase two frames just in case). I was surprised how easily the frame just snapped. I also demolished the props I purchased and went to my local hobby store to pick up more props which turns out are built here in California; those have lasted through some crashes no problem.

I guess my point is, I know what I'm buying when I pay but is there really a big difference in the quality when buying from Hobby Kind?
ChristianMichael is offline Find More Posts by ChristianMichael
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2013, 02:01 AM
Joined Aug 2013
1 Posts
I'm planning to build a quad shortly and have been wondering a similar thing - should I buy the parts from HK or elsewhere?

Although there don't seem to be any NZ suppliers who can sell me decent parts at a good price, if I buy from HK I may have to buy a 'spare' motor, ESC et cetera to allow for the fact that some of the parts may be faulty and hard to return.

Can anybody comment on their experience using HobbyKing? Do you often get faulty parts or are they typically ok?

Lots of motor/ESC reviews have people saying "some of my parts didn't work" but that's going to be biased by the fact that people are more likely to write a review when they have a problem than when they're out flying with gear that works fine...
tektome is offline Find More Posts by tektome
Old Aug 07, 2013, 01:01 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2013
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tektome View Post
I'm planning to build a quad shortly and have been wondering a similar thing - should I buy the parts from HK or elsewhere?

Although there don't seem to be any NZ suppliers who can sell me decent parts at a good price, if I buy from HK I may have to buy a 'spare' motor, ESC et cetera to allow for the fact that some of the parts may be faulty and hard to return.

Can anybody comment on their experience using HobbyKing? Do you often get faulty parts or are they typically ok?

Lots of motor/ESC reviews have people saying "some of my parts didn't work" but that's going to be biased by the fact that people are more likely to write a review when they have a problem than when they're out flying with gear that works fine...
I did exactly what you're talking about. I purchased one extra of everything just in case. I was fortunate that everything is working great and I just have spare parts now (which I don't mind). One thing I can attest to is how cheap the frames are. If you're learning (like me), you're going to go through frames and props if you don't have a good quality one.

I purchased an additional frame kit and I've already gone through 2 arms on the first day. They're in credibly cheap. You're probably better off spending the money and buying a quality frame that will hold together while you learn to fly.
ChristianMichael is offline Find More Posts by ChristianMichael
Old Sep 04, 2013, 11:44 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,013 Posts
Where do you think most companies who sell in the U.S get their stock ? Not all by no means but the majority is from China.

I have had No issues with anything..sure things happen a bad servo, part may get cracked in shipping, that happens with every RC place at some point....

Be smart, buy what you want and need BUT always buy spare parts to those little normal things you know will break or stop working...servo's, extra batteries, Cowl, Props, whatever....

But Buy American made by Americans in American companies ? Where? , that's my question...Sure we have many American Companies,we buy from I try to often, but most products and parts are made overseas some put together here but still made else where.

And what's worse is 5 times the price and not always a superior product and in fact many times not as good.

So it's like pitching pennies the one with the closest penny to the line wins.....well that's how buying RC is......and like me on fixed income and now trying to get back to this hobby...most times cheaper is better...no matter where it's made or shipped from. Worse part is I can but the product have it shipped from China and still be cheaper than bought here in America and shipped a state or two away...that Friend is what's sad....tell that to your brother and tell him that comes from a REAL American!!
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
Old Sep 21, 2013, 02:43 AM
Suspended Account
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined May 2012
28 Posts
Hobby King no bad,select from from huge China hobby factories,work as most of the brand you know,such as Horizon,Hobby people,Hobby Town,
Sometimes,it is much more great than these brands,for they could communicate with Chinese better,control the quality,and do the parts that the customers really need,
Horizon and so on brand with problem to communicate with Chinese factories,
LOL
DOMANRC is offline Find More Posts by DOMANRC
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 22, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Aug 2013
37 Posts
There are companies in China that will take a US made product and reverse engineer them, manufacture them using cheaper parts and then they sell them to HK. You've seen the products that HK sells that look exacting like products made by quality companies. These are the products to look out for. They are a lot cheaper.

Take other products that HK sells such as Futaba and JR radios. The are quality products but you don't get the same discount that you would get with the HK orange radio and the orange Rx.

Those cheaper products I would stay clear of.
fcox04 is offline Find More Posts by fcox04