HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:02 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_electric2 View Post
........... Could both of you post some more details on each of them,such as AUW, motor/battery/prop, and prop on the Forster? Some close up shots of the nose sections of each would also be appreciated............
AUW of mine is 5 lbs spot on with a wing loading of 10 oz./sq.in.. The Forster is running a 16 x 6 Master Airscrew turning 5500 rpm on methanol/BeNol mix. A couple front end shots before the resto, looks about the same now but cleaned up. The Forster is a 1955 model with large intake and exhaust, the last one they produced. It came with a 1/4"/28 'V-2' spark plug instead of the' 'V model 3/8" style used on earlier models.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Thanks for the info Leadchucker.
At present, the RF version is a bit heavier at 5.7 lbs, but lower WL at 9.2 as apparently the fuselage and stab airfoils are included in the calculation. I have no info on the individual component weights so there is a lot of guess work. Being a sim model though that can all get changed later as needed. The present wing airfoil is a AH 79-100A, and the stab a NACA M10. Per plans, the stab has a flat bottom is seems, and for now this is the closest choice I saw. Getting ready to start modeling the Forster 99 soon, but the other "engine to show" AXI 5320 is presently selected in the physics, swinging a Zinger 18x14 at 4369 RPM. Sal's original article suggested a 18x14 as a choice, so that's what was selected.
Fly_electric2 is offline Find More Posts by Fly_electric2
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:42 AM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
First day's work on the Forster 99.
Still a bit rough, but it's getting there.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:45 PM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
A little more progress on the Forster 99 for the tribute Powerhouse. Next up will be the ignition wiring.

Question:
Are there colors for the ignition wire insulation that are more or less common for each connection? No electrical difference in the real engines of course, but I'd rather choose some that are typical.

Thanks
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:54 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,362 Posts
Looking good Fly.

Wires vary some but the points and ground wires maybe be black, white ,red or green depending on the builder. I use green for the points wire and black for ground, no real reason for the choices. High tension leads are almost awlays red, perhaps as a warning of the high voltage carried within. Here is a so-so video of mine running if you need sound.

Large port Forster .99 on methanol and BeNol (0 min 42 sec)
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 22, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
After some delays from work on other planes and PC crash, the tribute Powerhouse for Real Flight is getting closer to being posted on the swaps pages.
The main model will be electric, but there will also be an AV with the modeled Forster 99.

No load profile info has been found on the Forster 99, nor am I aware if anyone has made RF sound recordings of the engine at various speeds to provide a more accurately simulation. If anyone has that information please PM me. The AV Powerhouse will need some engine, so if no information is available on the Forster, one will be chosen from those available from within RF. Recommendations of one realistically capable of turning the 18x14 prop (size taken from the original article written by Sal) are also appreciated!

Note:
It's known the covering color and texture isn't quite right yet -- this is still a work in progress.

Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:44 PM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
The tribute Powerhouse now has two power system choices, and for each, one of two color schemes. For the glow version, I'd like to try to make its color schemes unique and simulate the appearance of oil stains, as would be more typical after many flights. I've been given some great help in the basics of creating those, but some good pictures to use as a guide are needed.
Any good pictures showing the flow/spray pattern on a fuselage and close ups showing the color variances (as the oil splits up the colors), would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:12 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
451 Posts
Tribute Powerhouse

Fly_electric2,

Would you please post a reminder here when you are finished with your Real Flight project? I'm afraid I would miss it since I rarely look at the swap pages. And thank you so much for all the effort you're putting into it!
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:55 AM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Raymond-leflyr,

Thanks. Have regretted that other tasks have delayed the PH from moving along faster than originally expected, but it's getting ever closer.

Will add a post here when it goes up on the swaps.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 04:50 AM
Joined Sep 2006
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeregaard View Post
Sorry to hear this, but he did have a good run. The Powerhouse has always been on my short list of projects. Maybe it's time to dig out the plans....
Sorry to hear the bad news. One of the real "faces" of the hobby. Much admired here. One of the "greats". Built several Power house`s over the years my current one being a reduced 44" version for electric. Fly`s just like it`s big brother!
Bob Imp.
Bobimp is offline Find More Posts by Bobimp
Old May 23, 2014, 11:54 PM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
The Powerhouse for Real Flight 7 has been posted.
The EA is the electric powered version, and there is an AV with glow power.

Thanks for everyone's help and patience!

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=19796
Old May 24, 2014, 07:23 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
451 Posts
Thanks Fly-Electric2 for all the work you put into the RealFlight Powerhouse !! I can't wait to "fly" her.
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
Old May 24, 2014, 10:40 PM
Joined May 2012
47 Posts
Raymond-leflyr,

You are most welcome.

Happy flying!