HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:58 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg.perkins View Post
I guess I have.

No doubt about it! good thing about having this bug is it can be more or less managed.

I like planes too.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:56 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,810 Posts
Gold Cup Numbers?

Anyone out there know the background of the racing number system used on these boats and how high the numbers got? Particularly the "K" series of numbers that "Miss Severn" has.

I've looked at various Gold Cup and APBA websites but the history seems to only cover the winners.

Any comprehensive lists out there?
Old May 16, 2014, 09:50 AM
Switzerland, ZH, Wetzikon
Joined May 2014
4 Posts
Miss on swiss lakes

Hello folks,
Thanks for all your posts, it helped me to build my miss, which is great on the lake.
I wait calm lake to see what speed she can take
FROG_AT_SEA is offline Find More Posts by FROG_AT_SEA
Old May 16, 2014, 09:52 AM
Joined May 2014
4 Posts
Size of dolls

Do someone has experience which size of dolls is needed, as ken from baby is too tall ?
Old May 16, 2014, 10:05 AM
Joined Mar 2014
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FROG_AT_SEA View Post
Hello folks,
Thanks for all your posts, it helped me to build my miss, which is great on the lake.
Very nice boat, you did an excellent job with it. What motor did you use? I don't know about dolls, I haven't put any in my boats, but I have seen many in other boats. Someone must know what to use. Thanks for your post.

Norm
62architect is offline Find More Posts by 62architect
Old May 16, 2014, 11:16 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,810 Posts
Quote:
Hello folks,
Wow! Your boat looks great!

Quote:
Do someone has experience which size of dolls is needed, as ken from baby is too tall ?
for my 1/8th scale boats, I have a "Ferrier" (PN 530) made by Breyer, from their 'Breyer 8" action riders' series. They are sold in toy stores and are hopefully still around.

He's slightly on the heavy side but looks right in the boats.

A couple of old pictures of the Ferrier sitting in my Dumas Utility below.
Old May 17, 2014, 01:16 PM
Joined May 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62architect View Post
Very nice boat, you did an excellent job with it. What motor did you use? I don't know about dolls, I haven't put any in my boats, but I have seen many in other boats. Someone must know what to use. Thanks for your post.

Norm
I use the water cooled electro motor which was delivered as set for the miss from Frank
Old May 17, 2014, 01:19 PM
Joined May 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Wow! Your boat looks great!

for my 1/8th scale boats, I have a "Ferrier" (PN 530) made by Breyer, from their 'Breyer 8" action riders' series. They are sold in toy stores and are hopefully still around.

He's slightly on the heavy side but looks right in the boats.

A couple of old pictures of the Ferrier sitting in my Dumas Utility below.

This is good news that we find some breyer. What is his body length? I will chck if they are abaiable in other part of the world
Old May 17, 2014, 01:45 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,810 Posts
Quote:
This is good news that we find some breyer. What is his body length? I will chck if they are abaiable in other part of the world
Body length is 8in. / 203mm

...this works out to be 5'4" / 1.624m using 1/8th scale.

I would imagine that Breyer is sold in Europe or online.

Old May 17, 2014, 03:34 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Body length is 8in. / 203mm

...this works out to be 5'4" / 1.624m using 1/8th scale.

I would imagine that Breyer is sold in Europe or online.

I just found an 8" male on Amazon, so it looks like they are available.

Great job on your boat!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old May 17, 2014, 04:05 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
...it looks like they are available.
That is good to know!

Make sure if you are shopping/buying these online, that they are the 8" version.

Breyer also makes a 6" version (which works great for 1/12th scale) and perhaps other sizes as well.

Old Jul 13, 2014, 02:42 PM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
Miss Severn motor questions

I have recently received and started building the Miss Severn kit. I bought the appropriate MACK brushless motor package. There were programming instructions for the ESC, but no instructions or schematics for the ESC itself. Some questions:

1) Does the 3-wire "receiver" connector on the ESC supply power to the receiver and the rudder servo (i.e., is there a "battery eliminator circuit" built into the ESC)?

2) There are 3 blue wires coming out of the ESC, labeled "A, B, C". There are 3 color-coded wires on the motor (black, white, red) with plugs that match the 3 blue wires on the ESC, but there is no indication which wires from the motor plug into which wires on the ESC. Which wires go where?

3) I will use a pair of 7.2V NiMH batteries. What is a good setting for the "cut-off voltage"? What happens at cut-off voltage -- e.g., will there still be limited power to the motor for a "get home" mode, or will I be dead in the water? Will the receiver still be powered (assuming a built-in BEC) when cut-off is reached (and will this do any good if the motor is dead)?

4) I'd like to set up and verify operation of the motor package before installation, which means operating the motor with no load. Is there any reason that I can't do this, or any cautions?

5) Is there a way to program the position of the transmitter control stick that corresponds to "neutral"?
johngnh is offline Find More Posts by johngnh
Old Jul 13, 2014, 04:14 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,707 Posts
Johngnh- The three wire servo lead from the speed control will plug into the throttle channel socket in the receiver. The receiver will be powered up when the switch on the speed control the battery socket on the peed control will be empty.

The three blue motor leads for the speed control can hook up to any of the three wires of the speed control. If the motor is running in the wrong direction when the throttle is moving for forward or ahead, reverse any two of the motor leads to reverse the direction.

When programming the speed control for cutoff voltage I set it for zero, or the lowest voltage setting it has. NI-MH batteries will give you a warning that they are running down with a decrease of speed at full power, then it is time to bring her in for a charge.

The transmitter must be set in neutral when you first turn on the speed control. You can use your trim control to some extent to move the transmitter stick to neutral.

If you are using a pistol grip transmitter, neutral will have to be where the trigger is without being pulled or pushed. Again the speed control can be adjusted with the trim controls top obtain the neutral setting of the trigger control.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg