Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:48 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
My sister has been living in Japan for quite a number of years. The stories she told me about the way of life there were very interesting. Quite different than our way of life to say the least. I am assuming you visited (or plan to visit) Akihabara?
Have fun...

Steve, I just got this one from headsuprc to replace my e-flite power 15 that got destroyed. After 15 flights in the Formosa II I am very happy with it. It is the same weight as the Omega (according to them). It is an e-flite power 15 copycat and interestingly enough much lighter than the e-flite and generate more watts. If you want I can post my benchmarks of it. At that price point you can't really go wrong and headsuprc ships fast and cheaply. For a foamy it should be perfect.
Will have to think about that one....Thanks....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:53 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
My sister has been living in Japan for quite a number of years. The stories she told me about the way of life there were very interesting. Quite different than our way of life to say the least. I am assuming you visited (or plan to visit) Akihabara?
Have fun...

Steve, I just got this one from headsuprc to replace my e-flite power 15 that got destroyed. After 15 flights in the Formosa II I am very happy with it. It is the same weight as the Omega (according to them). It is an e-flite power 15 copycat and interestingly enough much lighter than the e-flite and generate more watts. If you want I can post my benchmarks of it. At that price point you can't really go wrong and headsuprc ships fast and cheaply. For a foamy it should be perfect.
Tokyo is one of my favorite cities in the world. Akihabara is a most see if you're there. There are 3 RC shops in that area too. I visited all of them. That's also where I bought the camera that I use to film my flying.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:11 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,445 Posts
Sadly I never went. She is very mad I never came to visit. With her stories she just didn't seem to make it inciting (stupid I know, but still). Example: "You americans and your Sushi. What is that, making your own? Asking the Chef to put this and that inside. Here, the Chef will decide what he is going to make you, and how he is going to make it to you, no requests, no substitutions, no nothing..." etc' etc'.
Don't get me wrong I love American Japanese food, but if I think I went there I would starve to death (after seeing meal pics)... Then again, she is in the boondocks. I am sure Tokyo is very different (by the virtue of the fact it is touristy).

Steve, with an 11x8 prop:

E-flite Power 15:
Peak Amp: 30A
Peak Watt: 365

Heads up RC Power up 15:
Peak Amp: 47
Peak Watt: 534
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Sep 27, 2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: ESL
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:15 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,284 Posts
testing out my hatcam this afternoon, wish my little camera had the ability to turn off auto-focus, I still love this plane
3dhs 48 edge working on stuff (5 min 10 sec)
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:17 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,127 Posts
Quote:
Sadly I never went. She is very mad I never came to visit. With her stories she just didn't seem to make it inciting (stupid I know, but still). Example: "You americans and your Sushi. What is that, making your own? Asking the Chef to put this and that inside. Here, the Chef will decide what he is going to make you, and how he is going to make it to you, no requests, no substitutions, no nothing..." etc' etc'.
Don't get me wrong I love American Japanese food, but if I think I went there I would starve to death (after seeing meal pics)... Then again, she is in the boondocks. I am sure Tokyo is very different (by the virtue of the fact it is touristy).

Steve, with an 11x8 prop:

E-flite Power 15:
Peak Amp: 30A
Peak Watt: 365

Heads up RC Power up 15:
Peak Amp: 47
Peak Watt: 534
That's a lot of power...But.....I absolutely detest collet prop adapters, if they don't have a bolt on prop adapter, that is a deal breaker....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:22 PM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Nice, what camera are you using?
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,284 Posts
Panasonic HM-TA1
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
testing out my hatcam this afternoon, wish my little camera had the ability to turn off auto-focus, I still love this plane
https://vimeo.com/50336763
Great flying man! Love the low KE passes and the long KE Spin.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,284 Posts
thanks guys, I just realize it is exactly to the day, 1 year since I maiden this plane. My first plane and it is still with me, love it
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:43 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,868 Posts
arnav I might buy one of those powerup 25 motors for my edge
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:33 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
That's a lot of power...But.....I absolutely detest collet prop adapters, if they don't have a bolt on prop adapter, that is a deal breaker....
Interesting. Why? I am exactly the opposite... I think I am scarred from the FMS proprietary hexshaft bolt-on that you were only able to order from HK or NP and only their spinners would fit. I feel that compare to the 5mm shafts I used to bend them all the time (when I first learned how to fly or during crashes). Perhaps it is just the FMS ones. I like that you can pretty much walk into any LHS and buy a 4mm or 5mm shaft and a matching prop adapter (or order online from so many places). In fact I converted the original FMS motor to a collet style adapter so I don't have to be at the mercy of those proprietary hexshafts.
Why do you like the bolt-on ones better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
arnav I might buy one of those powerup 25 motors for my edge
Don't get me wrong. The universal truth that you get what you pay for holds true here as well. If you put the power 15 (e-flite) next to the power-up 15 (headsuprc) the e-flite one would look more impressive with its choice of alloy and finish. I darted the e-flite one at least 5 times from 100ft () before it finally gave way (the bell finally warped). I am not sure the headsuprc one would survive all of these (i give it maybe 1 or 2...). It is probably less efficient and run hotter (but likely due to the more significant Amp draw). Even tough I had the e-flite power 15, for the Edge I decided to go with the recommended setup as I thought I have more to gain than the difference in the price (by being able to come here and ask for help which on a common/recommend setup you are more likely to get). Since you are beyond that point I guess the only thing you have to lose is $25... HK seems to make power motors clones as well which are eerily similar to the original like this one (but I never tried them).
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,127 Posts
Quote:
Interesting. Why? I am exactly the opposite... I think I am scarred from the FMS proprietary hexshaft bolt-on that you were only able to order from HK or NP and only their spinners would fit. I feel that compare to the 5mm shafts I used to bend them all the time (when I first learned how to fly or during crashes). Perhaps it is just the FMS ones. I like that you can pretty much walk into any LHS and buy a 4mm or 5mm shaft and a matching prop adapter (or order online from so many places). In fact I converted the original FMS motor to a collet style adapter so I don't have to be at the mercy of those proprietary hexshafts.
Why do you like the bolt-on ones better?

Don't get me wrong. The universal truth that you get what you pay for holds true here as well. If you put the power 15 (e-flite) next to the power-up 15 (headsuprc) the e-flite one would look more impressive with its choice of alloy and finish. I darted the e-flite one at least 5 times from 100ft () before it finally gave way (the bell finally warped). I am not sure the headsuprc one would survive all of these (i give it maybe 1 or 2...). It is probably less efficient and run hotter (but likely due to the more significant Amp draw). Even tough I had the e-flite power 15, for the Edge I decided to go with the recommended setup as I thought I have more to gain than the difference in the price (by being able to come here and ask for help which on a common/recommend setup you are more likely to get). Since you are beyond that point I guess the only thing you have to lose is $25... HK seems to make power motors clones as well which are eerily similar to the original like this one (but I never tried them).
I just don't like collet adapters as I have seen too many of them come off. Hacker or Motrolfly motors use bolt on prop adapters that do not come off unless you do not use Loctite to install the screws.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:12 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
636 Posts
Amav....I tried Heads Ups' Fire power 15 in my Hokusei 48" Sbach foam/balsa hybrid and it was a dog. It spec'd out very similar to the omega, but with the larger props (13x6.5, 14x7) it didn't have any guts below 1/2 throttle, with a 12x6 it seemed weak compared to the omega, yet it was an amp hog ( very short flight times) Put an Omega 130 in it and it now flies fantastic.
My experience with Heads Up motors so far has been that the small stuff is great for small profile foamies, but I haven't had any luck with their larger stuff ( maybe I'm expecting too much from them in my 3D planes). I know guys that have used them in warbirds and scale planes and they fly great.
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:58 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
636 Posts
Not trying to bad mouth Heads Up products ( I use them for most of my equipment), But be aware that the motors they list at similar size and specs as the Omega are maxing out the amps with much smaller props. To get a Power Up motor that can swing the same size props as the 130 Omega, you have to go with a Power Up 32( which weighs 212 grams). It probably has a lot to do with the KV ratings on these motors ( as they are higher than the Omega), rather than a quality issue. I think there is a place for these motors, just not on a 3D plane of this size.
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:35 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,445 Posts
We got side tracked talking about the headsuprc ones as Steve was looking for a motor for a foamy not for the Edge. I am using the Omega in my Edge as well.
I am using their "power up" not the "firepower" so not sure. I agree about the amps and prop size point. I maxed their power 15 motor with an 11x8 prop and 500W of power where it would come down hot to the touch. I am trying a prop with a less aggressive pitch on it now (again, not for the Edge).
I think your feedback would help brathanke who after that conversation was considering putting one in his Edge....
RCG Plus Member