Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:19 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrps View Post
What kind of gyro do you use, personally I have the Range Video OSD that also serves as an autopilot, I always activate the Fly by Wire function that helps keeping the wings level.

I'm hoarding these ESKY 704 rate gyros. Nothing fancy but you can't find them in stores or online anymore. The only place you'd have luck is in the for sale section in the heli section for people parting out their esky helis.
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:36 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post

I'm hoarding these ESKY 704 rate gyros. Nothing fancy but you can't find them in stores or online anymore. The only place you'd have luck is in the for sale section in the heli section for people parting out their esky helis.
That's a brilliant idea.
lrrps is offline Find More Posts by lrrps
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
yeah I got a good deal on them. My first was $20 but I got the other 3 for $10 each shipped
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:52 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrps View Post
I got a question that has nothing to do with a CP antenna, pls. forgive me if this is out of place.

People at my club told me that in order to get maximum GPS signal, the antenna has to be installed on an aluminum foil, is that confirmed?
That is complete garbage. Aluminum foil will do nothing but harm your signal.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:35 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
ok wow... I went out this morning and it was complete garbage. I think it's because I was parked next to a 7 story building. I think the RF was reflecting off the building and was causing really bad multipathing.

So note that any structures near you really do make a difference!!! I'll look for a new place to fly that's far away from any buildings.

Skip to 3 minutes and you can see that my range is exactly the distance of my receiver to the building.

????????/// (6 min 26 sec)

I chose that spot because the sun was in my eyes. Normally I go out in the evening but I wanted to try out my new firmware on the OSD ASAP
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:57 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
CP interference from double-reflection?

I have a really esoteric question about circular polarization.

I made a right-hand SP receiver and CL transmitter antenna pair for 5.8gHz, mounted inside a foamboard fuselage tube and flying within 300m. They work phenomenally in the confined and RF-busy urban area where I fly.

There is still one zone on my field where I consistently get interference that seems to be at the focal point between a large 12' freeway noise abatement wall and the side of a Costco (also huge, of course) oriented at 90 degrees to one another.

Is it plausible that some of the transmitted reflection off each large surface is being reverse-polarized and then re-polarized by the other, causing a big multipathed correct-polarized signal back to the receiver?

I'm familiar with this bounce-bounce principle with certain optical systems, like prismatic reflectors, but am curious if it applies to circular polarization.

Otherwise the antennas work fantastically! Thanks Alex!

Ed
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:43 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post

-Alex
Thanks Alex, I won't do the garbage mod then.
lrrps is offline Find More Posts by lrrps
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:54 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post

-Alex
this was suggested in the remzibi osd thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3500

i think the theory was to use aluminium foil to shield the gps receiver from the rest of the electronics, particularly in a confined area such as a multicopter.

i have not tried it out so i don't know if it actually works.
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:47 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
ok wow... I went out this morning and it was complete garbage. I think it's because I was parked next to a 7 story building. I think the RF was reflecting off the building and was causing really bad multipathing.

So note that any structures near you really do make a difference!!! I'll look for a new place to fly that's far away from any buildings.

Skip to 3 minutes and you can see that my range is exactly the distance of my receiver to the building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taXy6cBpHtk

I chose that spot because the sun was in my eyes. Normally I go out in the evening but I wanted to try out my new firmware on the OSD ASAP
That is noise floor without a doubt. Something is on your channel. See the fuzz? That's external interference. Circular polarization is not going to fix that. You need a different location or frequency.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:49 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
I have a really esoteric question about circular polarization.

I made a right-hand SP receiver and CL transmitter antenna pair for 5.8gHz, mounted inside a foamboard fuselage tube and flying within 300m. They work phenomenally in the confined and RF-busy urban area where I fly.

There is still one zone on my field where I consistently get interference that seems to be at the focal point between a large 12' freeway noise abatement wall and the side of a Costco (also huge, of course) oriented at 90 degrees to one another.

Is it plausible that some of the transmitted reflection off each large surface is being reverse-polarized and then re-polarized by the other, causing a big multipathed correct-polarized signal back to the receiver?

I'm familiar with this bounce-bounce principle with certain optical systems, like prismatic reflectors, but am curious if it applies to circular polarization.

Otherwise the antennas work fantastically! Thanks Alex!

Ed
Possibly. Reflections off of concrete reinforced buildings and metal structures usually retain a fair amount of signal strength so it's certainly possible.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:53 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post
this was suggested in the remzibi osd thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3500

i think the theory was to use aluminium foil to shield the gps receiver from the rest of the electronics, particularly in a confined area such as a multicopter.

i have not tried it out so i don't know if it actually works.
In the case of the quad copter the effects of the aluminum plate outweigh it's benefits as far as the antenna is concerned. The metal plate will throw off the resonance of the GPS antenna. However the electronics may benefit from less induced noise.

-Alex
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:29 PM
I land with enthusiasm
Lima-Peru
Joined Aug 2004
520 Posts
Hi IBCrazy, just bought your Blubeam whip set antenna from your website, could you please send me some recommendations to install it in the bixler?, I will use it with the HK 5.8 Ghz 200mw, I didn't have it yet but I what to be prepared.
thanks
werner
Arck is offline Find More Posts by Arck
Last edited by Arck; Nov 21, 2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:00 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
I'm not Alex, but there are a few options for this. You could place your VTx on the wing saddle and run the antenna out to the wing, you could place it on your tail, and run it out onto the boom. There are others, I'm sure, but that's what I came up with off the top of my head
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:08 PM
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
I recently built the cloverleaf and SKW antennas for a 200mw 5.8ghz tx/rx. I haven't had much success with them so I was wondering about left hand polarization vs right hand. My understanding is that it does not matter which I use as long as both are the same. I mean, the polarization is not related to a particular tx or rx, right?
daronj is offline Find More Posts by daronj
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:35 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daronj View Post
I recently built the cloverleaf and SKW antennas for a 200mw 5.8ghz tx/rx. I haven't had much success with them so I was wondering about left hand polarization vs right hand. My understanding is that it does not matter which I use as long as both are the same. I mean, the polarization is not related to a particular tx or rx, right?
You summed it up pretty well. As long as you have two rights or two lefts, it'll work. What exactly are your issues?
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40