HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Dec 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
You can buy airframe only a piece at a time for around $130. Add you own stuff. I probably don't have $250 in mine.
You're right about the price. I came up with $118. Then add shipping. But, then you still have that god awful paint scheme. So why not do an airframe kit in the white for $100 or so. Then you can paint it how you like.
After all they do offer other models as airframe only kits.
paul45120 is offline Find More Posts by paul45120
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@paul45120

You can still paint over the "ugliness" as I did with mine....
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:30 AM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen4Lfe View Post
@paul45120

You can still paint over the "ugliness" as I did with mine....
Wow VERY cool, what paint did you use, did you sand and prime first, great job
Hossinarizona is offline Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:31 AM
More Speed Indeed!
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
I have a canopy I just found if you still need it. I can send it or if you happen to be going to Phoenix you can pick it up.
Thanks for the reply, I just found one on E-Bay for $7.00 shipped, not bad.
Thanks again,
Mike
Hossinarizona is offline Find More Posts by Hossinarizona
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@hossinarizona

I used Tamiya acrylic paint through an air brush. No sanding or priming. I just painted over the red and blue. I tried peeling off some of the stock paint, but it peeled off some of the foam. So i decided to just leave it and paint over it.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,212 Posts
I've found that lacquer thinner will strip the paint without damaging the foam. 2 thumbs up for the monster yak!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
@slo-fly

I'll try that next time.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:30 AM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
You can buy airframe only a piece at a time for around $130. Add you own stuff. I probably don't have $250 in mine.
One of the bennies of this plane: Reasonably priced replacement parts.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, TN, Shelby
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
A pair of YAK's

Here is my original YAK and one we built up from spare parts for my 12 yr old after his HK SBACh 242 was destroyed. Both fly great and lots of fun.
moose115 is offline Find More Posts by moose115
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:37 PM
SoCal
Joined Aug 2010
150 Posts
Nice! How does that Su fly in comparison to the Yak?
DarwinF is offline Find More Posts by DarwinF
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jul 2011
98 Posts
I hear the stock prop sucks whats a good aftermarket prop.

I keep hearing the stock prop sucks, I just got a bnf Yak 54 and horizon said since mine is a newer one it will be fine and has the updated motor mount and it doesnt matter and will fly fine, hmmmm not sure if i like that answer. I called my local hobby shop which is Hobby Hanger in chantilly va, a very nice hobby shop thats dedicated to planes and helicopters. They told me to just take it out to the field and fly it and that 1 in a 1000 might slightly be out of balance, and people from Rc Groups are eccentric whatever that means. Anyhow does anybody know of a good prop to use that is good for the Eflite yak 54??? My other problem is I never have had to balance a prop before all my planes have been parkzone bnf's like the trojan,mustang, wildcat etc. Is there anybody that sells or balances props on rc groups???, I would be willing to pay them I dont have a prop balancer. Could I buy a pre balanced wood prop???, but I heard using a wood prop is a no,no. I just dont want to fly a $400 dollar plane and have it break a motor mount and crash. Could anybody just recommend a good APC prop that would be could for slow flying??? Thanks and sorry for the long thread..Drew
Drewkc is offline Find More Posts by Drewkc
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkc View Post
I keep hearing the stock prop sucks, I just got a bnf Yak 54 and horizon said since mine is a newer one it will be fine and has the updated motor mount and it doesnt matter and will fly fine, hmmmm not sure if i like that answer. I called my local hobby shop which is Hobby Hanger in chantilly va, a very nice hobby shop thats dedicated to planes and helicopters. They told me to just take it out to the field and fly it and that 1 in a 1000 might slightly be out of balance, and people from Rc Groups are eccentric whatever that means. Anyhow does anybody know of a good prop to use that is good for the Eflite yak 54??? My other problem is I never have had to balance a prop before all my planes have been parkzone bnf's like the trojan,mustang, wildcat etc. Is there anybody that sells or balances props on rc groups???, I would be willing to pay them I dont have a prop balancer. Could I buy a pre balanced wood prop???, but I heard using a wood prop is a no,no. I just dont want to fly a $400 dollar plane and have it break a motor mount and crash. Could anybody just recommend a good APC prop that would be could for slow flying??? Thanks and sorry for the long thread..Drew
In my experience, the majority of people that work in hobby shops are not the best source for information. There are a few in each shop that really know their stuff, but many do not. It's a good practice to balance every prop you intend to use. You probably won't have a "problem" with most smaller electrics, but the benefits outweigh the negatives by far. A prop balancer is one of the best investments a person can make. That's just my "eccentric" opinion...

Btw, I use an APC 12x6E prop on my Yak. Balanced of course...
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:10 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkc View Post
Just a word from one of the less eccentric ones. I have always flown mine on apc 13x4e - slows it down and gives it tons of power - not balanced of course. I have occasionally got a prop that was out of balance, but generally they are fine. Making sure the prop is mounted true is more of a problem than balance many times.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Like the guy in the video says, "You be the judge"....
Should I balance a Prop or Not! thats the question. (3 min 32 sec)
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jul 2011
98 Posts
Can i just mount a APC 12x6e or a APC 13x4e with or without the spinner I saw in pictures from above of other yaks with the spinner on and off. Do i need to use a hub that comes with the APC Spinners, im just curious besides my beast 3d i never have used a different prop Rcbabbel is going to balance me some so some advice on the hubs and how to properly mount them would be great would love to get this bird in the air soon thanks guys, Drew
Drewkc is offline Find More Posts by Drewkc