HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2010, 11:27 AM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
993 Posts
Thanks Diggs! I'm a looong-time listener to ATTF and I look forward to hearing y'all's thoughts on the podcast, hopefully I can get it on my iPhone before I get on a plane to Wisconsin tomorrow morning! :-) Arghh. Traveling for work just when the weather here gets back to blue skies + sunshine!

I realize it's just volume 1, it's just that the title suggests this is "it" for indoor foamies, and I think that would be sad. But I'm eagerly looking forward to the next volume!

Hey Fred: How about a "subscription" to this? Something different from FlightPass -- just an automatic "send me the next in the series" deal, paid up-front? I'd be in! Especially if it meant we could get "sneak previews" of the next volume and maybe even provide early feedback? :-)

Peter+
pvogel is offline Find More Posts by pvogel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2010, 06:44 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,667 Posts
Thanks for all of the input her guys. Pretty much everything you are saying makes sense to me. I know exactly what you're saying Peter about not starting at a basic enough level on some things. In fact, one of the reasons I wanted to do this series was because I was frustrated a few years ago that the DVDs I bought to help me learn 3D were not very helpful. They showed the moves, and how a pro could do them, but didn't help me with the foundation of knowledge I needed in order to understand the "cause and effect" of some of those fancy moves. It really falls to me as director to help AJ realize when we need to take a step back. I did that several times on this first production and Andrew was always gracious about a retake with more detail, but I also learned that his knowledge flows better if I don't interrupt. Like so many things there is a balance. The more I interrupt and redirect, the less natural the flow of ideas. We know that Volume One has some gaps. In fact that is why I specifically made a thread just for feedback on the DVD. In some cases these gaps are conscious omissions as we plan to cover many of the issues you mentioned in specific detail on future volumes. In other cases it's a combination of factors including the limited time we had to shoot, learning each other in this instructional format, the limited amount of space on a DVD, some things we shot that didn't come out to our satisfaction and, honestly, some things that we meant to shoot and forgot plus some things we just didn't think of. We're glad to hear that, on the whole, people are enjoying the effort, finding it easy to watch and full of useful information. You can be sure that we too are learning from each volume. Each successive work will build on the former and the quality of the volumes will grow from what we learn with each endeavor both from ourselves and from the feedback of our audience. We'll probably never get any volume perfect, but you can be sure that is our goal and we're both making a strong effort to get as close to that as we can. Thanks to everyone who has taken the plunge on Volume I. Keep the comments coming. Of course we love the pats on the back, be we are genuinely interested in what viewers believe would make the series stronger. I'm not promising we can incorporate every suggestion, but let us hear it. It's likely much of it will be in sync with our own vision for the series. Just remember to follow the formula that Diggs and Peter presented of giving us a "spoonful of sugar to help our medicine go down." ;-)
fmidgett is offline Find More Posts by fmidgett
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2010, 01:25 AM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
993 Posts
I completely understand where you are coming from Fred! I do a bunch of instructional videos at work (no where near as nicely produced as yours!) and have the same problem finding the balance of time, material I want/need to cover, and the number of takes I can swallow before I sound just completely burnt on the topic and the passion I have for the technology stops coming through -- but that same passion sometimes makes me forget a point or two I'd wanted to cover (since I never script anything but the intro).

So keep it coming! And give some thought to the "pre-ordered DVD subscription" concept, could help fund the project ;-)

Peter+
pvogel is offline Find More Posts by pvogel
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:45 AM
Triple boxed goodness!
United Kingdom, Doncaster
Joined Sep 2008
1,552 Posts
Having just finished watching it, first thing is I've got to say personally for me at my level of flying I understood everything from start to finish. There were many great tips to make life easier for myself when completing the build of an indoor foamy. I've actually got an MX2 arriving in the next few days so will be able to put the DVD to good use/test watching it again whilst building.

I thought the build itself was very well thought out, a LOT of detail with Andrew emphasising how critical weight is on an indoor setup. Maybe too much detail for a beginner who could quite easily get lost but then not really sure where you'd draw the line there.

I'd like to have seen a few more close ups of the trickier parts of the build or even some stills maybe of what actually is trying to be acheived.

I liked the breakdown of all the sections, that makes life much easier when trying to find specific parts on the build and will come in very handy when building my own. I also liked the fact that during the build nothing was skipped/glossed over, Andrew built everything there and then whilst talking it through in great detail.

I hear what others are saying about the choice of radio selection, again I know what my transmitter is capable of and how to setup a mix so i understood it perfectly, maybe someone who is new to the concept of mixing etc would benefit from seeing a closeup of the transmitter screen or for Andrew to explain mixing in a generic way perhaps?

On to the flying, I've seen Andrew and many of the other pro's on HPP flying these things to an outstanding ability and I'd love to have a n'th of that talent and the flying scenes on the DVD were outstanding!

Maybe suggest either a groundschool way of talking through maneuvers with a stick plane maybe or to slow motion some of the maneuvers with a voice over with Andrew explaining exactly what he is doing, looking at, adjusting etc, some of the maneuvers on screen were so fast that it was tricky to see the inputs.

Really liked the setup section on CG and trimming, I think that that can easily be missed by newer guys and is very important regardless of the tye of plane your flying, also some don't realise how to correct it and just try and fly it out making life difficult.

Also really liked the bonus features crammed with some great info, personal highlight was RJ talking through the VPP setup, that was great!

All in all a very good job, Andrew your a natural on camera too!

Already looking forward to volume 2!
simon737 is offline Find More Posts by simon737
Old Feb 04, 2010, 01:59 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
What he said

Awesome job Fred, AJ and posse. I hope this is the first of many.
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash
Old Feb 07, 2010, 06:15 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,667 Posts
Andrew and RJ talk about the spades on the MX2 that "mysteriously appeared" after the build and before the flying sequences on the Vol 1 DVD.

http://higherplaneproductions.com/me...pades-H264.mov
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 07, 2010, 07:00 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmidgett View Post
Andrew and RJ talk about the spades on the MX2 that "mysteriously appeared" after the build and before the flying sequences on the Vol 1 DVD.

http://higherplaneproductions.com/me...pades-H264.mov
Wow, those look cool... But what are the used for?

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Feb 07, 2010, 07:14 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
Wow, those look cool... But what are the used for?

Diggs
Hey...You asked.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:46 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,667 Posts
Some people have reported difficulty finding UHU contact cement. AJ advised me of this source today:
http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?targe...category_id=90
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 28, 2010, 07:39 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,667 Posts
Hey guys, BIG news. AJ Volume I is now available on Blu-ray!! The full 1080p HD looks awesome. I'm so glad I finally got everything worked out to allow everyone to see true HPPHD.

Two films are now available on blu-ray. AJ Volume I and The Tucson Aerobatic Shootout 2009. Each contains both the blu-ray disc AND a standard DVD video disc for just $34.99. Check them out at our store:

http://store.higherplaneproductions.com/
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 07, 2010, 09:56 PM
Monroe, Michigan
Joined Oct 2002
1,639 Posts
Hey guys we just finished shooting for the up coming video. This time it was outdoors and we had a blast.

Andrew
Andrew Jesky is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Jesky
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:44 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
I'lll never have any spare moolah at this rate
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash
Old Mar 08, 2010, 07:39 AM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
woo hoo
I am just finishing my first complete foamie build since I got the video...my plane is so much better than it would have been before I watched the vid.

I would love a video on building an arf and trimming it for 3d. Especially how AJ mixes and the iterations etc
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles
Old Mar 08, 2010, 02:48 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoles View Post
woo hoo

I would love a video on building an arf and trimming it for 3d. Especially how AJ mixes and the iterations etc
From the post by Andrew Above, you might get to see an AJ slick ARF kit get built by him. Not sure what the topic for Vol 2 will be, but that is certainly an ARF he is flying in the image. We might not get to see the build on this one, but I agree it would be helpful.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:33 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,667 Posts
Official announcement coming soon. Here's a few more pics from the weekend...
Site Sponsor