HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:59 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
301 Posts
Help!
Kyosho Minium and Actuators.

Sorry about the dumb noob question, but can a Minium brick be modified to drive actuators instead of the built-in servos? Despite lubricating them, I had two of those servos, in different models, strip their threads on the same day. One is stuck at full aft extension, spinning continuously while power is on.

Perhaps acts would be more reliable, and even lighter for the scale model I'd like to build.
Welsh Dave is offline Find More Posts by Welsh Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:56 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Apr 2009
210 Posts
You are better off tossing all the lousy Kyosho electronics, and replace it all with Parkzone 6400 receiver and servos. I fought this battle for month, Kyosho replaced my Cherokee, and it was still a POS! I installed Parkzone electronics, and it flies likw it is on rails! Best micro flyer in the fleet..........
fotowiz is offline Find More Posts by fotowiz
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:51 PM
Figure 9 Expert
USA
Joined Feb 2007
665 Posts
which 'brick' are you asking about.

the orrigional 3 channel one? if so you can replace the stock servos with the replacement servos for any of the pkz models. here is a part number :EFLH1066
they used to come in pairs for $9.99- appears that HH doubled the price@ 12.99 EACH

see if you can find the origional blade mcx pair at your lhs would be cheaper

well if you do choose to replace the new ones just drop in- you un screw the old servo push the orrigional motor out (leave it attached to the board). push the old motor into the new servo assembly and reattach. thats it.
while you have it appart it i swise to take one of those white erasers and 'erase' the contact strip this will clean it off and make the servo movement smoother.

hope this helps
Chompers is offline Find More Posts by Chompers
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:51 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The old Kyosho minium servos were very prone to stripping.

Search "RC Time 1.5g" on Ebay. Replacement racks w motors are $6 for a pair... shipped.

You only need a #000 phillip screw driver to replace them, because if the rack is stripped, you can just press out your old motor and press it into the new rack. No soldering required.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:47 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,534 Posts
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?app=goods&id=239
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:18 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Thanks for posting that Tim. I need to bookmark this page.

I have about 20 of these bricks now... don't tell my wife.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:12 AM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
I have nothing to add on the servo problem, but wanted to add to Chompers suggestion of the pencil eraser.
If you have cartridge gaming systems, like N64 etc, then the same trick on the edge contacts of cartridges often fixes presumed dead games. I recently acquired an old Intellivision with about 20 games. About 3 games worked. Did the pencil eraser trick and all worked !
Same for many other items where one plugs in to the other
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Jan 22, 2010, 02:21 PM
Vintage Nut
Llangollen
Joined Aug 2007
301 Posts
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I don't yet know how easy it would be to get Parkzone parts in the UK, but the newer Kyosho racks sound reasonable. The models in question are the Cessna Centurion and Citabria, both 3-channel.

I was wondering about actuators because I happen to have some left over from otherwise defunct models, and I thought they'd be lighter than the servos, even small as they are.
Welsh Dave is offline Find More Posts by Welsh Dave