HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2009, 09:31 AM
Joined Sep 2006
4 Posts
Discussion
Saito 115 Break in

Hi All,

About the break in procedure below, I have some doubts, because this is my first 4 stroke engine.

Standard of 10 minutes at each 1,000 rpm steps starting with, 10 minutes @ 4,000 rpm
10 minutes @ 5,000 rpm
10 minutes @ 6,000 rpm
refilled tank set low speed needle for decent idle
5 minutes @ 6,500 rpm
10 minutes @ 7,000 rpm with a couple of short runs to full throttle.

This is my doubts:

The first 10 minutes should be 4000rpm, then should go to increasing rotation. The increase of rotation to do the engine accelerating the stick, keeping the HS needle valve open at 5 turns, or keep the stick in 1 / 4 and go close the HS needle valve?

Somebody could help me?

Thanks,

Thiago
thiagopivoto is offline Find More Posts by thiagopivoto
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2009, 11:18 AM
Sippin' on Kool Aid
Long Island NY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
2,775 Posts
sounds fine. now go fly it around gently for a few tanks then tune it for decent power. after about 3/4's of a gallon or so, tune it for power!
heligrom is offline Find More Posts by heligrom
Old May 06, 2009, 03:35 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
The first 10 minutes should be really rich -- 5 turns is about right. You may have to keep the glow ignitor on because the engine may be too rich to run without it.

To achieve the 5,000 RPMs you'll have to have the throttle partly closed so the next run you'll probably get to 6,500 RPMs by simply advancing the throttle.

To be honest, the Saito break-in "ritual" is a little over the top and doesn't do much except waste a snot-load of fuel.

The first 10 minutes are basically just Saito's way of making sure that plenty of oil reaches the camshaft area and that any initial wear particles are flushed from the engine (through the breather pipe).

Once you've done that 10 minutes you *can* start leaning the engine out.

After 15-20 minutes you can keep the needle rich and go flying -- just make sure to alternate between high, medium and low throttle settings so as to vary the load and heat of the engine so as to let everything bed-in properly.

After 40 minutes you can start leaning out the bottom end needle (they usually have to be wound in at least a turn or so before they're even close to right)

You'll find your Saito continues to improve in power, handling and idle over the first two or three hours of use.

I do recommend that you squeeze a good amount of oil into the crankcase (through the breather) before you run the engine up and that you lift the rocker covers so as to put a few drops there as well.

Enjoy.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old May 06, 2009, 06:42 PM
Joined Sep 2006
4 Posts
Thank you XJet,

His explanation was very informative, very helpful to me.

Thanks,

Thiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJet
The first 10 minutes should be really rich -- 5 turns is about right. You may have to keep the glow ignitor on because the engine may be too rich to run without it.

To achieve the 5,000 RPMs you'll have to have the throttle partly closed so the next run you'll probably get to 6,500 RPMs by simply advancing the throttle.

To be honest, the Saito break-in "ritual" is a little over the top and doesn't do much except waste a snot-load of fuel.

The first 10 minutes are basically just Saito's way of making sure that plenty of oil reaches the camshaft area and that any initial wear particles are flushed from the engine (through the breather pipe).

Once you've done that 10 minutes you *can* start leaning the engine out.

After 15-20 minutes you can keep the needle rich and go flying -- just make sure to alternate between high, medium and low throttle settings so as to vary the load and heat of the engine so as to let everything bed-in properly.

After 40 minutes you can start leaning out the bottom end needle (they usually have to be wound in at least a turn or so before they're even close to right)

You'll find your Saito continues to improve in power, handling and idle over the first two or three hours of use.

I do recommend that you squeeze a good amount of oil into the crankcase (through the breather) before you run the engine up and that you lift the rocker covers so as to put a few drops there as well.

Enjoy.
Old May 06, 2009, 07:41 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,693 Posts
Thi, the above 10 minute a 1,000 rpm changes is my recomendation, it has worked on over 30 Saitos from the little .30 to a 2.20 and several twins.. My method takes about 50 minutes and about 32 oz of fuel depending on the engine. I set the LS needle about half way through the procedure. So far it has worked every time and does not waste any fuel.
I TOBOR is offline Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Old May 06, 2009, 08:11 PM
Joined Sep 2006
4 Posts
Hi Dave,

Ok Sir, I am reading your tips in the Rcuniverse forum Club Saito. I will use your method for sure !!!

After break in I will report the results.

Thank you for your attention.

Thiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR
Thi, the above 10 minute a 1,000 rpm changes is my recomendation, it has worked on over 30 Saitos from the little .30 to a 2.20 and several twins.. My method takes about 50 minutes and about 32 oz of fuel depending on the engine. I set the LS needle about half way through the procedure. So far it has worked every time and does not waste any fuel.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:09 AM
NVS
Longview, Texas
Joined Dec 2007
25 Posts
How come breaking in an engine is like trying to find the Medicine Man of the tribe to give you the secret ritual so you don't upset the spirits. How about reading the Saito manual and doing the factory procedure ? Dang !!!It ain't rocket science....they use a different break-in procedure.
NVS is offline Find More Posts by NVS
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:17 AM
Joined Sep 2006
4 Posts
Hi,

My Saito run fine !!! I did the Tobor break in procedure some times ago and the engine is ok.

Good flies !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVS View Post
How come breaking in an engine is like trying to find the Medicine Man of the tribe to give you the secret ritual so you don't upset the spirits. How about reading the Saito manual and doing the factory procedure ? Dang !!!It ain't rocket science....they use a different break-in procedure.