New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2015, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by tallflyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
Just using what I have... cheapo towerpro servos , std plastic boxed RX, and a 500 for longer flights... Ive got 300s (and various lighter bits of gear) but the 300's don't give me long enough flights... 500s will give me about 10 mins..

If the model flies heavy I will rip all the gear out and go with some smaller bits all round and a smaller motor.. It feels fine as it is however..

What is your COG position for the 28"
Indoor maiden due this Thursday....
should be right on the wing spar. But...... go out and fly your plane flip it inverted and if all is right she will fly level if not move the battery to adjust the cg (dont trim your plane for level flight as this is a mistake on on 3d type planes.) This only helps for level flight when not inverted.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2015, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by goldguy
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifoguy
Do you have any problem with the thickness of the flat carbon strip causing the EPP to distort when you push it into the slit?
I melt out the slot with a modified 30W solder iron tip.
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
Old May 18, 2015, 03:38 PM
Joined Jul 2002
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy View Post
I melt out the slot with a modified 30W solder iron tip.
Thats My Method too.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2015, 02:31 AM
Find More Posts by davereap
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallflyer View Post
should be right on the wing spar. But...... go out and fly your plane flip it inverted and if all is right she will fly level if not move the battery to adjust the cg (dont trim your plane for level flight as this is a mistake on on 3d type planes.) This only helps for level flight when not inverted.
The spar is the mid position obtained from the online calculator .. it basically gave me 3 options which are at 10mm spacing so the least stable is another 10mm back . I will go with the spar to start..

thanks.....dave
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old May 19, 2015, 03:46 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,439 Posts
Quote:
The spar is the mid position obtained from the online calculator .. it basically gave me 3 options which are at 10mm spacing so the least stable is another 10mm back . I will go with the spar to start..

thanks.....dave
the wing has a 9" cord so 3" back is a great place to start.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 22, 2015, 04:59 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,430 Posts
Boy is the model responsive... even dialled down low, its a bit too much for my level of competence for flying indoors... I will have to get practiced with it outside where I can have more room and height..
I am very pleased however , its very neutral and highly responsive.. but it does need constant flying, so is not so easy unless you are a 3D competent pilot..
Old May 22, 2015, 05:12 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Boy is the model responsive... even dialled down low, its a bit too much for my level of competence for flying indoors... I will have to get practiced with it outside where I can have more room and height..
I am very pleased however , its very neutral and highly responsive.. but it does need constant flying, so is not so easy unless you are a 3D competent pilot..
If you have never flown 3D Dont panic You just need to learn how to use the rudder to turn. once you master tthe left hand you can fly low and slow in the place the size of a tennis court.

Watch this Video you will notice I use the rudder to turn the plane kinda whip it around the corner feel.

New Slofly28 2012 (2 min 26 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2015, 01:12 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,430 Posts
don't worry I am not that bad...lol... but I was trying to fly this too slowly, right on its low speed limits, indoors, and I kept over controlling.. that was my problem..
so it was a case of fly, crash, dial down, till I got it flyable...
It will be much easier outside with a bit more room to chuck it about...

my normal indoor model is an own design that's very relaxing , being aerobatic, but easy and stable to fly, its performance is very like a nutball, but its controls are elevons , rudder and throttle

I will put up a video of my slof;y when the weather improves here... too much wind at the moment
Old May 29, 2015, 04:30 PM
Find More Posts by basicguy
Ayn Rand Sez.............
United States, MO, La Plata
Joined Dec 2014
543 Posts
I wanted to try this plane but couldn't bear the thought of profile.

I thought super slow and aerobatic that is what I want. It is my first time with a specific 4 channel aerobat plane.

It flies pretty amazing. When I got the plans printed the wing span was 30" rather than the described 28.

The only thing I didn't like was the 6 or 7" high profile fuselage so why not make a full body. starting with the original shape and cutting over 2" out of it.

Am driving it with a 24grain 1400 kv motor and a 1000mah 3 cell battery. My standard power pack. I made the fuselage about 1.5" wide. It flew pretty weird without the flat surface of the fuselage to help guide it so I added on a few square inches of rudder. The cg is about 25-30% of the wing LE.

It will stand vertical at way less than full throttle and climb vertical pretty fast at max.

I made a video with a keyfob camera but it was poorly aimed so all I can show you are a couple of stills off the camera.

Am real impressed at the control and stability.
basicguy is offline Find More Posts by basicguy
Old May 30, 2015, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by trumpy959
United States, MA
Joined Feb 2011
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy View Post

The only thing I didn't like was the 6 or 7" high profile fuselage so why not make a full body. starting with the original shape and cutting over 2" out of it.
I have the Superslo28 and it is indeed an amazing flyer! IMO part of what makes the Slofly28, Superslo28, Yak55, and other lightwieght foam 3D planes in this category fly so amazing has a lot to do with that thicker fuselage, and the stability it creates during knife edge flight. It's acting like another wing thus creating lift, but by all means give it a go with your modification and see what it does and how you like it.
trumpy959 is offline Find More Posts by trumpy959
Last edited by trumpy959; May 30, 2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old May 30, 2015, 06:45 AM
Joined Dec 2014
543 Posts
Yes thought about the tall fuselage being an aerodynamic surface after cutting it down. That is when I added the tip plates. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old May 30, 2015, 06:55 AM
Joined Jul 2002
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpy959 View Post
I have the Superslo28 and it is indeed an amazing flyer! IMO part of what makes the Slofly28, Superslo28, Yak55, and other lightwieght foam 3D planes in this category fly so amazing has a lot to do with that thicker fuselage, and the stability it creates during knife edge flight. It's acting like another wing thus creating lift, but by all means give it a go with your modification and see what it does and how you like it.
You are 1000% correct profile planes use the fuselage like a wing in knife edge flight. The Slofly28 & the Superslo28 when built to specs is a proven frame.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2015, 07:52 AM
Joined Dec 2014
543 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration for my plane tailflyer.

I will make a profile eventually. How does it fly in 15mph wind?
Old May 30, 2015, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by mikeruth
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy View Post
Thanks for the inspiration for my plane tailflyer.

I will make a profile eventually. How does it fly in 15mph wind?
Like a ton of fun

Actually for the inexperienced that would to much wind, but if you do have the experience and the balls it's a blast
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Jun 19, 2015, 06:51 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,430 Posts
Finally the weather is good enough for outside flying...
Outside this is a different model.. previously I struggled to fly indoors, I was going too slow and too near its bottom limits..
My trims settings to fly like that were made nonsense outside.. by the time I got it re-trimmed the control surfaces were all back to level ..
Previously I also was trying to fly it with too nose heavy a COG... outside ive got it set much better although on my last flight it was still too far forward, you will see the loops got better but are still too large..

here are a couple of videos , where I am just getting used to the model..

there is lots of thrust from the 1700kv on 2s with a 9x5 prop, so hover harriers are all good .. vertical acceleration fine, knife edge is easy, but by the time I had it better sorted I realised the motor mount was a bit loose, so I stopped to fix it.. I will get some better ,closer in, video as soon as I can.. and also move the COG further back...so the elevator is more sensitive
slofly 26 inch blue wonder 1700kv 2s 9x5 prop 18 6 2015 (6 min 37 sec)

slofly 26 inch blue wonder 1700kv 2s 9x5 prop 18 6 2015 2 (7 min 54 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Jun 19, 2015 at 07:01 AM.