New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Do you think you will attend the event?
Yes, looking forward to it 13 59.09%
Maybe, but only if it was on different day 2 9.09%
Maybe, very conditional on some things (please post your concerns) 3 13.64%
No, this is not for me 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14, 2015, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by ChiggenWingz
Who is John Powers ?
Australia, VIC, Mulgrave
Joined May 2013
511 Posts
Discussion
Melbourne Multirotor Media Event + Racing - Sat June 6th

UPDATE 4th June

Here are the news articles!

Gizmag

Webstory - http://www.gizmag.com/trackside-drone-racing/37976/

Inside Melbourne's underground drone racing scene (2 min 47 sec)

Lateline

Video - http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/conte...5/s4253535.htm

Webstory - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-1...racing/6532896

Other Media Reports

Mashable

Daily Mail

Slashdot

Kim Komando

Huffington Post

9 News Australia

Geek Snack

BBC

HackADay

Drone Watchdogs

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quick Summary:-
  • When: Saturday June 6th 2015. With a bulk of people there at noon onwards through the afternoon as thats when the majority of filming is likely to be done. A few of us will arrive earlier to help setup
  • Where: Old Bradmill Warehouse, Next to McIvor Reserve, off Fogarty Ave
  • Who can come: Anyone from the Multirotor scene would be nice, new or old. Focus is likely to be on the mini racer side of the hobby.
  • What to bring: Yourself, make sure you have a decent breakfast and your head screwed on right as you may have the option to be interviewed. Feel free to bring multicopters to show off to the camera and media staff.

Also bring repair equipment, chairs and tables.

If you're using Immersion hardware please use only these channels only 1,3,5,7. If using Boscam, you'll need to use a frequency that is 40mhz or more AWAY from the Immersion frequencies.
  • Whats happening on the day: Bit of racing, bit of chilled out flying and looking good for the cameras, bit of catching up with new and old people in the hobby.

Note: We'll be doing the 4 pilot seat setup, whereby people who are flying are to sit in a specific seat, this can be explained on the day. But basically it helps coordinating when people are/are not flying in particular video channels.

------------------

Stuff that would be handy for the day
  • We have someone bringing a generator, so bring your chargers and any televisions if you wish
  • We will have interstate visitors, so anyone that can offer a room to them for the night please PM me asap
  • Big brooms for sweeping up at the site, as it may need a clean when we arrive
  • Fold out tables that we can set up equipment on and do maintenance.
  • Spare chairs for people to sit on
  • 12Volt TVs if we don't get a generator to use
  • Battery chargers and large power supplies/batteries to use to keep mini batteries charged so lots of flying can take place.

If you can help with any of the stuff above, please PM me and I'll throw your name against it along with others who can offer also. Will do a final co-ordination of resources about a week before the event.

------------------

We're looking to hold a Multicopter event on Saturday June 6th which will be attended by some media organisations to capture footage of multicopters in action and talk with the community around the hobby.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been contacted by a few different media groups who are wanting to know more about the multicopter hobby scene. With the recent news article on channel 7 about the QLD racing scene, it was only a matter of time before it would spike interest from other news outlets.

See:-
https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watc...he-rise/#page1

So far we have one news crew coming, and from what I've been told by the reporter he is mainly focusing on the hobby side of it and general coolness of racing multicopters. From talking to him it sounds like he isn't looking to delve into the relationship with ACMA or CASA.

Another reporter will likely be doing a web article of the local Melbourne scene. I know him from a few years back in the motorcycle community, pretty chilled out friendly guy.

We also have a team looking at doing a longer term documentary project on the drone/multirotor scene and how it evolves over the coming years. I'm sure "Beeworld" will pop up in this thread and explain more about his intention.

------------------

I would assume that some people are a bit cautious of this media exposure so I encourage people to constructively voice it here, as I'll be forwarding this thread to the media so they can clarify any misconceptions.

The media day will be for the media to get something cool and also for us to show off this cool little hobby of ours. So if anyone would like to raise points about things that could be discussed and shown off feel free to raise it here also, that way we can all contribute to the overall discussion and what we hope the media will portray for us.

Feel free to bling up your multicopters, and brush up on your skills to show off.

I'll be linking this post to various drone/multicopter groups across Melbourne and feel free to pass it onto others who may want to pop on in.

Please also answer the poll above if you are likely to attend as it'll give us an idea of numbers and what we may need to bring to make the day run smoother.

----------------
ChiggenWingz is online now Find More Posts by ChiggenWingz
Last edited by ChiggenWingz; Jun 24, 2015 at 09:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2015, 10:00 PM
Who is John Powers ?
Australia, VIC, Mulgrave
Joined May 2013
511 Posts
Reserved
Old May 14, 2015, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by Tas sky pirates
Joined Apr 2014
263 Posts
Good stuff buddy
Tas sky pirates is offline Find More Posts by Tas sky pirates
Old May 15, 2015, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by Beeworld
(Bebop guy)
Australia, VIC, Reservoir
Joined Apr 2015
34 Posts
Awesome Chiggz - and thanks! I'm the guy "doing a longer term documentary project on the drone/multirotor scene and how it evolves over the coming years" as a Masters of Research project at RMIT, with a very pro-drone bias - one of my aims is to show the emerging community of practice using these machines and how out of step the reality of personal drone usage is compared to public perception of drones, if that makes sense. Please feel free to get in touch directly via PM here at RCGroups, and / or look out for the guy with the video camera and yellow Bebop drone at various meets and flight locations. I would love to hear from you!

Happy flying ...
Beeworld is offline Find More Posts by Beeworld
Old May 15, 2015, 05:44 AM
Find More Posts by fpvpilotrc
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2014
252 Posts
Im in Melbourne the week before, damn!
fpvpilotrc is online now Find More Posts by fpvpilotrc
Old May 15, 2015, 07:48 AM
Find More Posts by APIUM
Joined May 2015
12 Posts
I'm in.
APIUM is offline Find More Posts by APIUM
Old May 15, 2015, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by greggsy2000
MultiWiiCopterPilot
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Sep 2008
345 Posts
I'll be there. What a great opportunity to share what we are about.
greggsy2000 is online now Find More Posts by greggsy2000
Old May 15, 2015, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by DaZa_AU
Fly it like you stole it!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2013
2,504 Posts
Yep will be a great demonstration of what is fast becoming a genuine sport.

Also good to showcase what's possible using legal low power gear, and that we're working towards proper organised and safe events.

It's safe to say we'll probably have those who must be obeyed casting an eye over this so in case anyone hasn't said it yet, best to make sure you qualify for the above statement if you plan on bringing gear, even if your not flying.

See everyone there!
DaZa_AU is offline Find More Posts by DaZa_AU
Old May 15, 2015, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by Fugbucker
Australia, VIC, Hampton Park
Joined Feb 2011
1,110 Posts
I'm in and hopefully have a working 3D printed mini........
Fugbucker is online now Find More Posts by Fugbucker
Old May 15, 2015, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by Kahnx
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
3,077 Posts
I think that it's important to show off this hobby in an overwhelmingly positive light. My non-flying friends who saw the QLD story had a couple of consistent messages in their comments to me (knowing that I am into the hobby):
1. The CASA guy directly laying "don't fly near people", immediately followed by the reporter being buzzed by high speed copters - massive contradiction.
2. The crash at the end into the overhead sign ... "not a good look" being the common message.
Otherwise the report was pretty well regarded, and most people see the attraction.

Based on this, I think we should try to agree (in this forum) on the main messages we want to give, and to stay on target with this message to the press. Try to avoid talking about flying anywhere else other than indoor racing, stay away from talk of radio frequencies/power, stay away from hazards like mistreated Li-Po's, and other similar topics that may give nay-sayers any ammunition.

I also think that we should be hyper-vigilant on safe practices: This means (even if we're asked to) not doing any flying in close proximity to people (reporters), and also to fly within our limits ie avoiding crashes. Remember that the press will want to show the most spectacular stuff - if that is a speccy crash, then that's what they'll show. So we need to be sure that the speccy stuff is fast, clean flying. We need to fly within our abilities.

Lets have the discussion here and agree on the messages / content / flying that we want to show off.

KahnX
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old May 15, 2015, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by AussieNewbie
A regular at PP
Joined Jan 2013
500 Posts
Make sure the people shown on camera aren't ugly as hell. Pick a few decent looking fliers who are comfortable on camera, and keep everyone else in the background.

You might think I'm joking, but this is the reality of media.
AussieNewbie is offline Find More Posts by AussieNewbie
Old May 16, 2015, 02:46 AM
Find More Posts by Fugbucker
Australia, VIC, Hampton Park
Joined Feb 2011
1,110 Posts
So we need beautiful wives, sisters, daughters in bikinis......!

The evolving technology and lowering costs needs to show why it has taken off so quick along with the information sharing of the internet......
Fugbucker is online now Find More Posts by Fugbucker
Old May 17, 2015, 03:38 AM
Find More Posts by Richarddryden
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jan 2015
39 Posts
Lol I'm in
Richarddryden is offline Find More Posts by Richarddryden
Old May 18, 2015, 12:57 AM
Find More Posts by juz70
Lumenier team pilot
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2009
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieNewbie View Post
Make sure the people shown on camera aren't ugly as hell. .
Have you seen the Melb crew? Might be a bit difficult
juz70 is online now Find More Posts by juz70
Old May 18, 2015, 01:00 AM
Who is John Powers ?
Australia, VIC, Mulgrave
Joined May 2013
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juz70 View Post
Have you seen the Melb crew? Might be a bit difficult
I'm sure, just like any teeny bopper movie, we remove of the glasses, a dash of makeup, and pulling our hair out; we'll be sexy as hell on the camera