Find More Posts by chochmah
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
555 Posts
Question
Super Constellation Face

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting the Super Constellations "Face" right. I'm at a point where I'm going to say: good enough. I understand that most people here have spend more time than I looking at airliners and might see egregious aberrations from the original.

Please take a short glance and tell me if you think it's "good enough" for a 1900mm spawn foam/balsa plane.
chochmah is offline Find More Posts by chochmah
Last edited by chochmah; Nov 11, 2014 at 04:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2014, 05:37 PM
Find More Posts by demondriver
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
17,146 Posts
Choch I think your Super-Connie's nose is 95-99% accurate. . . . You really can't do any better than that Sir!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Very big RC MD-82 & MD-90
Old Nov 11, 2014, 05:45 PM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondriver View Post
Choch I think your Super-Connie's nose is 95-99% accurate. . . . You really can't do any better than that Sir!
That you! I'm most concerned about the windows since those are kind of the eyes of an airliner and the on many models it's the most defining feature of the front. Unfortunately I could not find good (and cohesive) 3views of the windows.

But as long as the Pope of RC Airliners can look at it without losing his eyesight I'm going to be satisfied.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by SergeyK
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
900 Posts
Well, since you asked...
I tried to superimpose a photo from airliners.net
It looks like the windows need to spread further back.
But from the front looks good.
SergeyK is offline Find More Posts by SergeyK
Last edited by SergeyK; Nov 11, 2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 01:54 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
17,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chochmah View Post
That you! I'm most concerned about the windows since those are kind of the eyes of an airliner and the on many models it's the most defining feature of the front. Unfortunately I could not find good (and cohesive) 3views of the windows.

But as long as the Pope of RC Airliners can look at it without losing his eyesight I'm going to be satisfied.
How did you know I was Catholic LOL

Chochmah Your a VERY talented RC scratch-builder Sir!

So does this mean your going to build a Super Connie?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2014, 03:50 AM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyK View Post
Well, since you asked...
I tried to superimpose a photo from airliners.net
It looks like the windows need to spread further back.
But from the front looks good.
Thanks Sergey! I prolonged the windows as you have shown in your overlay. Shows how wrong the 3views that I used are. Doing overlays with real images is a great Idea. I wish there were perfect front/top/side views taken from real airliners with telephoto lenses to minimize contortion due to perspective.

Cheers
Old Nov 12, 2014, 04:15 AM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
555 Posts
Quote:
How did you know I was Catholic LOL

Chochmah Your a VERY talented RC scratch-builder Sir!

So does this mean your going to build a Super Connie?
Thank you Maaaaybe... I'm not sure yet, first I have to tackle a couple of design challenges. I already have decided on a std. ClarkY airfoil morphing into a symetric airfoil at about the middle of the aileron and then gradually rotating forward until it reaches 3deg washout at the tip.
I'm really unsure about the flaps. I have never before build anything with flaps so this would be a big challenge for me. The simplest way to approach it would be split flaps but RCGroups has taught me that those work basically as airbreaks and do provide very little extralift. (And I like flying slow, real slow, airshiplike slow) Replicating the original mechanism is out of the question but the closest I could come might be flaps that extend on curved tracks but don't additionally pivot down. They would be limited to about 30deg deflection though and might not provide enough extra lift to justify the extra weight. Also, multiple pushrods necessary as well as 6cm of servo travel etc. lot's of challenges.
The tail complete with internal linkages and two servos for yaw/pitch, I think I have pretty much figured out in theory but you never know until you actually build the thing. If I can solve all the problems then maybe I'll build one... god knows I would really like to!

When are you going to build your fleet of super constellations? It seems like an odd omission that you haven't build a couple of the most iconic airliners of the 1950/60ties. :-)
Last edited by chochmah; Nov 12, 2014 at 04:21 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by SergeyK
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
900 Posts
Quote:
I wish there were perfect front/top/side views taken from real airliners with telephoto lenses to minimize contortion due to perspective.
Out of over 2800 Connie images on airliners.net, I've seen perfect front and perfect side shots (better than the ones above), and even perfect bottom. The only thing I could not find is a top view. There was one of a fuselage ruins, but it was a different Connie model with different nose and more windows.
SergeyK is offline Find More Posts by SergeyK
Last edited by SergeyK; Nov 12, 2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:15 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
17,146 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Maaaaybe... I'm not sure yet, first I have to tackle a couple of design challenges. I already have decided on a std. ClarkY airfoil morphing into a symetric airfoil at about the middle of the aileron and then gradually rotating forward until it reaches 3deg washout at the tip.
I'm really unsure about the flaps. I have never before build anything with flaps so this would be a big challenge for me. The simplest way to approach it would be split flaps but RCGroups has taught me that those work basically as airbreaks and do provide very little extralift. (And I like flying slow, real slow, airshiplike slow) Replicating the original mechanism is out of the question but the closest I could come might be flaps that extend on curved tracks but don't additionally pivot down. They would be limited to about 30deg deflection though and might not provide enough extra lift to justify the extra weight. Also, multiple pushrods necessary as well as 6cm of servo travel etc. lot's of challenges.
The tail complete with internal linkages and two servos for yaw/pitch, I think I have pretty much figured out in theory but you never know until you actually build the thing. If I can solve all the problems then maybe I'll build one... god knows I would really like to!

When are you going to build your fleet of super constellations? It seems like an odd omission that you haven't build a couple of the most iconic airliners of the 1950/60ties. :-)
I'm currently building the DC-7 and FW-200 First, I plan on building The Lockheed Starliner version of the Connie, Her Very Long wingspan is a truly beautiful site!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2014, 02:23 PM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyK View Post
Out of over 2800 Connie images on airliners.net, I've seen perfect front and perfect side shots (better than the ones above), and even perfect bottom. The only thing I could not find is a top view. There was one of a fuselage ruins, but it was a different Connie model with different nose and more windows.
I have only used google image search to find Connie pictures. I should have looked at the airliners.net database as google does not index those pictures and they are clearly superior to google results. I'll give the engine nacelles and the wing/body blending a second pass using the airliners.net images. Thanks Sergey.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 02:26 PM
HappyGoLucky
Germany, BW, Ibach
Joined Dec 2009
555 Posts
Quote:
I'm currently building the DC-7 and FW-200 First, I plan on building The Lockheed Starliner version of the Connie, Her Very Long wingspan is a truly beautiful site!
Great Idea. The long wingspan will help with lift. There's actually one of those planes sitting around not far from here:

Connie Air port Munich

Edit: Not the Starliner Version though.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by Kapnos
Joined Oct 2003
218 Posts
1/10th scale Lockheed Starliner at the 1988 airliner meeting in Germany:
L-1649 Starliner rc model airliner (2 min 14 sec)
Kapnos is offline Find More Posts by Kapnos