HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2015, 03:14 PM
United States, FL, Auburndale
Joined Jan 2015
116 Posts
Discussion
Landing Pad with lights

Almost finished with this, what do you guys think?

It's 8x10 and works for alot of smaller helicopters, I used it for my blade 130x and it works good for it too... Also landed my V915 on it.
XRAYRON is online now Find More Posts by XRAYRON
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:45 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,971 Posts
Something like that could come in handy taking off from grass.

I don't fly in the dark with my old eyes but the lights are nice bling anyways.

Is it led / battery?

g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:59 PM
Un-Registered User
United States, MO, St Robert
Joined Mar 2015
20 Posts
Great idea! I just pick a spot on my coffee table to land and take-off on. But this is baller.
pinballwiz is offline Find More Posts by pinballwiz
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:57 PM
Joined Jan 2015
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
Something like that could come in handy taking off from grass.

I don't fly in the dark with my old eyes but the lights are nice bling anyways.

Is it led / battery?

g
Micro LED ran on 3 AA. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballwiz View Post
Great idea! I just pick a spot on my coffee table to land and take-off on. But this is baller.
Thanks man, the little yellow post is going to be a miniature lighted helicopter warning sign. Just waiting on my LED's ran out.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 01:01 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
10,486 Posts
Looks good and like the lights. I use foam board used as insulation. Silver on one size and bright colored trape to make a large H in middle. Then tape on flat stick on weights with strong clear tape. Workd fine upto 450 size. I made a few smaller ones for 100 sized Micros.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:05 AM
Joined Jan 2015
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Looks good and like the lights. I use foam board used as insulation. Silver on one size and bright colored trape to make a large H in middle. Then tape on flat stick on weights with strong clear tape. Workd fine upto 450 size. I made a few smaller ones for 100 sized Micros.
What size worked good for the 450? I was thinking about making a larger one however the lexan isn't cheap.

This one is 8" x 10" I was thinking if I make one in 11" x 14" it will be perfect size for my blade 130x.

Or if I take (2) 12" x 24" panels and lay them side by side making one 24 x 24 landing pad.

Or (1) 24" x 18" I'm thinking this one.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:31 AM
Joined Oct 2014
729 Posts
Way fancier than that old chunk of plywood I have laying on the ground outside.
JohnFM is online now Find More Posts by JohnFM
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:52 AM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
1,771 Posts
I really want to build something like this. I love the lights. I love that it is somewhat realistic looking. Flying a 450 from an 11" x 11" piece of plywood is getting old quickly. I am supposing that you chose the Lexan top so you could mount the LEDs underneath? I guess to scale this up in size I'd have to give up the Lexan due to weight. If you build something bigger or have ideas for building a bigger one, I hope you will post. Nice job. I like it.

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is offline Find More Posts by Florida Heli
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:05 AM
Joined Jan 2015
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heli View Post
I really want to build something like this. I love the lights. I love that it is somewhat realistic looking. Flying a 450 from an 11" x 11" piece of plywood is getting old quickly. I am supposing that you chose the Lexan top so you could mount the LEDs underneath? I guess to scale this up in size I'd have to give up the Lexan due to weight. If you build something bigger or have ideas for building a bigger one, I hope you will post. Nice job. I like it.

-Florida Heli-
The lexan is 250 x stronger than glass, not as slippery and has excellent UV protection for the image underneath. It's not very heavy the 8 x 10 complete weighs 1lb.

Do you think 11 x 14 is good for 450 size? I launched my trex off the 8 x 10 lol
Old Mar 17, 2015, 01:52 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
1,771 Posts
I was thinking of 36" x 36" to keep the tail from turning green from hitting grass. At that size, I guess I'll have to look at a folding heli pad. I think that rules out Lexan for me. Yours is a great idea though.

There are a few threads here devoted to helipads, but not many. I've actually searched for them to try to get ideas. Not too many people make them it seems. Most people just seem to use a piece of wood. I'm guilty. I want a scale helipad with lights like yours to fly a 450 scale heli from.

-Florida Heli-
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2015, 02:55 PM
Joined Jan 2015
116 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking of 36" x 36" to keep the tail from turning green from hitting grass. At that size, I guess I'll have to look at a folding heli pad. I think that rules out Lexan for me. Yours is a great idea though.

There are a few threads here devoted to helipads, but not many. I've actually searched for them to try to get ideas. Not too many people make them it seems. Most people just seem to use a piece of wood. I'm guilty. I want a scale helipad with lights like yours to fly a 450 scale heli from.

-Florida Heli-
I was going to do a fold out one for my 100x that also stored the 100x+batteries+parts.

I'm going to do a large one now that folds in half, with lights, handle and earth magnets to hold it closed and open to keep seam really close.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 03:54 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
1,771 Posts
OK, this I want to see!

-Florida Heli-
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2015, 04:46 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
10,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRAYRON View Post
What size worked good for the 450? I was thinking about making a larger one however the lexan isn't cheap.

This one is 8" x 10" I was thinking if I make one in 11" x 14" it will be perfect size for my blade 130x.

Or if I take (2) 12" x 24" panels and lay them side by side making one 24 x 24 landing pad.

Or (1) 24" x 18" I'm thinking this one.
Foam bord was 3 feetX 4 feet. I cut in half and taped. I have model weight taped on bottom outside. It is insulation borad bought at home depot. Silver on one side / white on other. no problem with 450's. I used about six weight stripos.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Mar 17, 2015, 05:02 PM
Expert Heli Crasher
Joined Jan 2014
1,771 Posts
Foam board is a good idea for a bigger version of this heli pad. I could use tape to make hinges on the back side so it would fold for transport. LEDs could be put on it very easily by poking a hole and running wire to the back side. It's also not too expensive. We may be on to something here.

XRAYRON what LEDs did you use and how are they wired? I think I saw a real helipad with blue lights on it. There is a hospital with a helipad not too far from me. Next time I drive by I will look to see what color the lights are. Also, how did you paint it? Painting a perfect circle would not be too easy for me.

-Florida Heli-
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2015, 05:07 PM
Joined Jan 2015
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Foam bord was 3 feetX 4 feet. I cut in half and taped. I have model weight taped on bottom outside. It is insulation borad bought at home depot. Silver on one side / white on other. no problem with 450's. I used about six weight stripos.
Great Idea!

Quote:
Foam board is a good idea for a bigger version of this heli pad. I could use tape to make hinges on the back side so it would fold for transport. LEDs could be put on it very easily by poking a hole and running wire to the back side. It's also not too expensive. We may be on to something here.

XRAYRON what LEDs did you use and how are they wired? I think I saw a real helipad with blue lights on it. There is a hospital with a helipad not too far from me. Next time I drive by I will look to see what color the lights are. Also, how did you paint it? Painting a perfect circle would not be too easy for me.

-Florida Heli-
Oh snap nice idea, yea they can be any color, I've seen a pad with green lights too. It's an image printed with color laser printer. I'll PM you
Last edited by XRAYRON; Mar 17, 2015 at 08:11 PM.