HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2015, 09:15 PM
Joined Mar 2014
227 Posts
Discussion
HSD 75mm Viper Jet

Welcome to the official discussion thread for the HSD 75mm Viper Jet! This model was introduced during its development stages in 2014 and officially debuted in early 2015. Throughout the design process, several things were kept in mind such as simplicity, affordability, quality and performance. It's a strange combination since its tough to keep things affordable without sacrificing quality, but HSD managed to pull it off!

Since it is available in 4S and 6S power configurations, it keeps things interesting for avid pilots but also simple enough for the intermediate pilot who is looking for their introduction to EDF jets. Current feedback provides reports of up to 6-7 minutes of flight time with the 6S variant on a 22.2V 3300mAh 40C+, with proper throttle management of course. It seems to perform best with a 3000-3300mAh range on either version.

This model is very straightforward with all the standard control surfaces included and nothing overly complicated. Since it is more like a trainer EDF jet, additional options such as flaps and retracts were not added. The accessible and spacious battery compartment really makes this one stand out considering its size. Other neat features include an aluminum main wing spar, an air intake vent at the top of the fuselage for added performance, a latch system for the canopy, and a simple 'no-glue' assembly.

Specifications:

-Wingspan: 1100mm (43.3 in)
-Length: 969mm (38.1 in)
-Controls: Ailerons, Elevator, Throttle and Rudder
-AUW: 1250g (4S), 1450g (6S) NOTE: Variable depending on battery brand and weight
-Empty Weight: 900g (PNP)
-Motor: 3060-2600Kv Brushless Outrunner (4S Version), 3060-2000Kv Brushless Outrunner (6S Version)
-ESC: Hobbywing 60A Brushless
-EDF: 75mm
-Servos: (6) Standard 9g CYS Servos
-Battery Range: 14.8V 2200mAh-3300mAh 40C+ (4S Version), 22.2V 2200mAh-3300mAh 40C+ (6S Version)
-Color Scheme: Classic Checkered and Sport Gray
BHCSR ALEX is offline Find More Posts by BHCSR ALEX
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2015, 09:16 PM
Joined Mar 2014
227 Posts
Videos

Banana Hobby Debut Teaser Video:

HSD 75mm Viper | Debut Teaser | EDF Jet (1 min 44 sec)

RCInformer Flight Review:

HSD / Banana Hobby Viper Jet 75mm 6s FLIGHT REVIEW By: RCINFORMER (13 min 39 sec)

RCInformer Uncut Flight Review:

HSD / BANANA HOBBY 75mm Viper Jet UNCUT FLIGHT DEMO By: RCINFORMER (6 min 17 sec)
Old Feb 05, 2015, 09:17 PM
Joined Mar 2014
227 Posts
Reserved
Old Feb 05, 2015, 09:40 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2014
381 Posts
Its a nice size jet to have in the back of the van to be ready to fly at any time
fishface5 is offline Find More Posts by fishface5
Old Feb 06, 2015, 01:48 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,551 Posts
I've seen the 4s version fly recently at our club field and I was very impressed. Plenty of power and great handling.

RJ
rowdyjoe is offline Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
Old Feb 06, 2015, 08:00 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,667 Posts
I'd like this as a hand launch plane. Is there a good place to grip it under the fuse or would an underhand toss be better?
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Feb 06, 2015, 10:22 AM
Joined Oct 2014
381 Posts
you would just have to add some skids and probally grab it back behind the main wing and launch it like a stinger 64. Thats just my 2 cents
Old Feb 06, 2015, 04:42 PM
Joined Oct 2014
381 Posts
Guys here is my replacement I built today. The first one was way nose heavy with the 3300 6s all the way back as far as it could go wich was crashed for a loss. Now I had to put 3oz of weight in the tail section on this one just to get it to balance. I just don't get it Im using the same size battery as in the manual and what Rc Informer is using in his video. They mention nothing about having to counter weight it. But I guess you have to do what you have to do to balance it.

Old Feb 06, 2015, 06:15 PM
Joined Mar 2014
227 Posts
fishface5,

Have you attempted to use a 6S 3000mAh pack? Also, if you shift the weight further back you may be able to reduce the amount needed to balance it.

-Alex
Old Feb 06, 2015, 09:11 PM
Joined Oct 2014
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHCSR ALEX View Post
fishface5,

Have you attempted to use a 6S 3000mAh pack? Also, if you shift the weight further back you may be able to reduce the amount needed to balance it.

-Alex
Alex
What battery are you guys using and does it CG correctly?
Old Feb 07, 2015, 02:27 PM
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Jul 2008
1,030 Posts
I'm wondering if a 6s 4000 is too heavy for this as I have several of those laying around already.
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
Old Feb 07, 2015, 07:07 PM
Joined Oct 2014
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
I'm wondering if a 6s 4000 is too heavy for this as I have several of those laying around already.
Oh yeah it will be way heavy in the nose. You will have to mod it to balance it
Old Feb 07, 2015, 10:55 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,551 Posts
My 4S 75mm Viper arrived today and I just completed assembly and set-up and I have a couple of comments.
First, fit and finish are excellent. I don't know how they managed to get such a smooth surface on the exterior of this bird but. It is smoooooooth. All surfaces and parts mount extremely well. I chose the red checkerboard color and I like it a lot. Visibility should not be a problem.
Screw placement was a bit confusing but, not difficult to figure out after a little thought. The manual is "pretty" but, could instructions could be better. The screw pad for the horizontal stab was not properly secured with glue and I had to glue it in place before mounting the stab. The canopy latch had no glue at all.
On checking my flight controls I found that the elevator need a few clicks of up trim but, all else was right on.

The weather tomorrow is supposed to be near perfect for flying so, if I can make it to the field I may have a flight report.

Oooops, almost forgot. I balanced the plane with a Nanotech 4s 3000mah battery. With the battery positioned at the forward edge of the battery "skid" plate, it balanced at the factory CG. BTW ....I recommend applying velcro to the battery skid plate and battery to prevent it sliding around. I cinched the battery down pretty tight (I thought) but, it still managed to move a bit while handling the plane. Be sure it's secure before takeoff.

Wishing you CAVU

RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Feb 07, 2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2015, 11:02 PM
Joined Oct 2014
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyjoe View Post
My 4S 75mm Viper arrived today and I just completed assembly and set-up. I have a couple of comments. First, fit and finish are excellent. I don't know how they managed to get such a smooth surface on the exterior of this bird but. It is smoooooooth. I chose the red checkerboard color and I like it a lot. Visibility should not be a problem.
Screw placement was a bit confusing but, not difficult to figure out after a little thought. The screw pad for the horizontal stab was not properly secured with glue and I had to glue it in place before mounting the stab. The canopy latch had no glue at all.
On checking my flight controls I found that the elevator need a few clicks of up trim but, all else was right on.
The weather tomorrow is supposed to be near perfect for flying so, if I can make it to the field I may have a flight report.

Wishing you CAVU

RJ
Did it balance out ok?
Old Feb 07, 2015, 11:04 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,551 Posts
Please read my post again. I was editing it when you posted this but, Yes. It balanced fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface5 View Post
Did it balance out ok?