Old Jan 09, 2016, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by go_hercules
Joined Nov 2014
272 Posts
Discussion
EZ Arf Construction

Remember the old EZ Arf planes that were skinned with a thin layer of foam board laminated with a pre-printed mylar surface? Great Planes also made some with this construction, as did Hobbico, Lyon, Indy and others. Anyway, I was wondering how they actually produced that covering and whether I could duplicate it somehow. I have had a few of these planes and really like the look. The planes were all designed so that there were no compound curves - so the skins wrap easily. I don't know if they originally heated and wrapped these planes or what? Any ideas?
go_hercules is offline Find More Posts by go_hercules
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2016, 02:41 AM
Find More Posts by hallo
Amateur Forever
Norway
Joined Feb 2014
1,418 Posts
I think the slope guys use some thin self adhesive PET film or laminating film or something to cover foam wings to get a stiff surface, perhaps you could use that together with Depron or something.

I had a Pilot Sukhoi with an OS four stroke in it, it was a little small to be light enough for realistic slow moving flight but it thundered away like a harley davidson in the sky - I have never had anything flat spin quite like that, 3 times beyond recovery was one time too much.. I loved it.
hallo is offline Find More Posts by hallo
Last edited by hallo; Jan 10, 2016 at 02:51 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by go_hercules
Joined Nov 2014
272 Posts
Hi, thanks for that lead. I did a little searching and found what you were talking about, very similar to what I was looking for. Thank you.
go_hercules is offline Find More Posts by go_hercules
Old Jan 11, 2016, 06:47 AM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,383 Posts
If you haven't already found it, do a thread title search on .... doculam.

Plenty of thread on it.

Ray.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray