HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2014, 11:50 AM
Joined May 2005
779 Posts
Build Log
Second Great Planes Electricub

This was one of my first RC builds when I was getting back into the hobby. I built it per the plans with no mods and even used the 600 motor. She is a great flyer that is impressive to see in the sky. The 600 motor froze up and I added a 400 Rimfire motor and she did just fine with the 400. This is a sport scale but the window area has always bugged me and my current cub is pretty beat up so I decided to build another. This is an old kit from Great Planes and I doubt it will be around much longer, but who knows. This time it will still be built per the plans but will look more like the Great Planes .20 Cub. I am widening the window area and adding a side stringer. I will also be using Rimfire 400 or .10 have not decided yet. I am building with wood glue and will cover with Monokote.
scigs30 is offline Find More Posts by scigs30
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 02:49 AM
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2004
911 Posts
On the frequency now, scigs. Good luck with the second edition!
BTW, nice work on the first edition. This kit has been in the basement since I brought it home back in 2003. Work and other projects just kept getting in the way. By coincidence I pulled the manual out the other night to look it over.
A few questions, if you don't mind:
Did you build yours with ailerons, or for three channel?
What range of flying conditions have you put her through?
How did she perform in wind?

Best regards, Chris

PS - I thought some jury struts might improve the scale appearance also.
Jugjock is offline Find More Posts by Jugjock
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2014, 10:03 PM
Joined May 2005
779 Posts
The kit is designed for strip ailerons and that is what I used. She handles great, flied like the real Cub and looks awesome in the sky, minus the small side windows.

I have some more done on the fuselage and she is starting to take shape. The only modification here shaving some balsa from the cabin doubler for the enlarged windows.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 10:08 AM
Joined May 2005
779 Posts
Added the plastic Cowl and Window, using the same pre formed window that came in the kit.
Old Jun 09, 2014, 03:02 PM
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2004
911 Posts
Nice work, Scigs! Thanks for sharing the photos and providing descriptions.
Jugjock is offline Find More Posts by Jugjock
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2014, 03:27 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,773 Posts
Looks like such a nice kit, and compared to the original it's very good-looking! I almost pulled the trigger on the V1 kit many, many times, but always went with something else.

The V2 kit sure does look nice..
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Jun 09, 2014, 04:04 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,073 Posts
I have the first version. My only advice is to chuck the motor mount and get a good metal one, or build a strong 1/8 aircraft ply mounting box.

Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:29 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,918 Posts
Mark's right. We had both the first and the second versions of the kit, and the motor mounting was always a problem.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:14 AM
Joined May 2005
779 Posts
On my first build after the 600r motor was toast I mounted a Rimfire 400 to the kit mount. I made it shorter and added a top brace. She is still flying strong. I will probably do the same with this kit but may add the rimfire .10
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:18 PM
Joined May 2005
779 Posts
I added the 1/8 side stringers, first I added 1/8 sq balsa where the stringer needs to attach. I drew the stringer on the plans and put the measurements on the plane.
The only laser cut parts in the kit are for the stab and rudder, and they are not a perfect fit. All you have to do is pre fit everything and sand where needed for a smooth fit.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 01:49 AM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,949 Posts
I had one of the old versions back in the 550 can motor/6-cell r/c car battery pack era. It still flew pretty well, and it would thermal surprisingly well. I flew it for a number of years and hundreds of flights before robbing the gear out of it for an ElectroStreak.

With modern brushless motors and LiPoly batteries it should be way, way lighter.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:51 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,918 Posts
The problem with using lighter motors and batteries is that you need nose weight. So, when I built my wife's E-Cub II, I used a Jeti 30/3 for power (fit right into the brushed motor mount) and replaced the 8 cell NiCad pack with a 3S4000 Lipo. 15+ minutes of non-stop acrobatic power at the same weight and balance.

Fun E-Cub memory: I had an Astro C05G on 8 900SCR cells in Micki's first E-Cub (which I'd modified by adding barn door ailerons). The radio we had back then was a Futaba with a Snap Roll button, so I showed her how to use it. My mistake! She'd do consecutive snaps throughout the entire traffic pattern...

BTW, the snaps didn't kill the model. It died from being shipped from Germany to Nebraska in the summertime. When it somehow arrived uncrushed, I had high hopes...then I saw the wing and tail feathers had all potato chipped. Tried shrinking out the warps, but no joy.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jun 11, 2014, 01:22 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,073 Posts
I have an Axi motor on 3s 2200. Flies great, and yes, you can thermal it. I added eflite Pitts wheel pants, makes a cute bird. Also went with aluminum gear.
Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:58 PM
Joined May 2005
779 Posts
That is one nice looking cub