SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:03 PM
Joined Oct 2007
16 Posts
Discussion
Have DX6i... which fbl clone to get?

I have been out of the hobby for a while, and all this fbl stuff is new to me.

From my reading it looks like the blade would be the easiest to compliment the dx6i. However, it is a little overpriced for what it is.

The clones are a lot cheaper, but I don't know which include a fbl unit would be best to match the dx6i.

Looking for a 450 or 500 size. All advice appreciated. Thanks.
pompeyjohn is offline Find More Posts by pompeyjohn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:45 PM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,274 Posts
Hi mate depends on how you want to go i have copterx black angel DFC and use dx6i it has the 3x1000 gyro unit but you can get a spektrum all in one receiver and gyro but may be pricey you can have any clone you want as long as you have spektrum receiver fitted to bind to the dx6i , so really it up to you and the money you have to spend i am in uk and parts for t-rex clones and copterx ,hk tarot etc are ok to get but check and see what you can get this will help you make up your mind on what clone ..... hk clones need work to make them safe to fly , copterx and tarot are ok as they come i have had hk and now copterx so check up on tarot clones but so i hear they are the top of clones will i would love to see one as the copterx i have is very nice and the angel has all the up grades so nothing else to buy all top stuff
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Last edited by holtneil; Nov 06, 2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Oct 2007
16 Posts
Thanks Neil - I am from the UK (still on heliaddicts) now live in the US.

Spektrum sell an fbl and receiver combo (called the AR7200BX) for about 250usd. That plus a tarot or copterx looks like the best route.

DFC looks like the way forwards, as I hate having to reduce slop in the head unit. If you were to build a new setup now, would you go DFC or something else?
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:05 PM
Joined Oct 2007
16 Posts
Is this the kit you got?

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/p13089/C...duct_info.html
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:18 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,274 Posts
No John the one i have is the the black angel with the DFC head fitted the servos have been replaced with MG90S , the kit you looked at is still really good that dfc head if not the same as mine there are fbl which is not as hard on servos and 2 types of DFC head the one you looked at and this one
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/RC-Helic...duct_info.html

mine was the flybar angel then got converted to DFC so the one you looked at is the newer one the head looks heavy so may be better than the light weight one i have i have the 3x1000 gyro that has the 3x2000 gyro your need the lead to update the software as it is now running 2.4
Last edited by holtneil; Nov 06, 2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: more info
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Oct 2007
16 Posts
Thanks buddy - very helpful
Old Nov 06, 2013, 04:36 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,274 Posts
Hi John all my helis are DFC so much easier to set up metal gear servos are a good buy as the dfc head is harder on them , the FBL or DFC is more in the zone than flybar but try and get main blades for a FBL heli the cg is different and it makes them more stable lots of guys fly on normal blades they are very touchy if your still learning it harder to fly like that also if you put the angel 450 next to a t-rex 450 the angel is longer
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:08 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyjohn View Post
Thanks Neil - I am from the UK (still on heliaddicts) now live in the US.

Spektrum sell an fbl and receiver combo (called the AR7200BX) for about 250usd. That plus a tarot or copterx looks like the best route.

DFC looks like the way forwards, as I hate having to reduce slop in the head unit. If you were to build a new setup now, would you go DFC or something else?
DFC has nothing to do with slop. There will be the same lack of slop in comparable non-DFC FBL heads. What DFC does is enable the rotor disk to be lower - using a shorter DFC mainshaft - and that improves agility.

The cheapest route might be an HK450 Pro V2, which comes in a choice of belt drive or TT, along with a Tarot ZYX controller. That would set you back less than half the cost of an AR7200BX. You could pay a bit more for a Tarot 450 Pro, and maybe get one with their DFC head. Worthwhile upgrades are the GoGoRC dual-point tail and the Tarot thrust bearing tail hub, and the Tarot integrated one-piece servo mount makes maintenance much easier.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:19 PM
Joined Oct 2007
16 Posts
I thought that as the DFC head had fewer arms it would be less sloppy. Does that make sense? I guess not.

I'll look into the ZYX controller, and the suggested upgrades. Thank you.

Things have changed so much in this hobby in six years!
Old Nov 07, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,274 Posts
HI John DFC mean direct flight control yes it has less links its swash plate and then link up to rotor blade grip the slop is in the mixing arms and blade grips but it does not have mixing arms and i have not got slop in my blade grips yet and had a lot of flights, the ALZRC 3GYS, CopterX 3X1000, Helicox
TG-1, Hobby King ZYX or Tarot ZYX are all. Based on
the Tarot ZYX so they are all the same just different name badge on them so go for what you can get the cheapest like i said i fly a black angel it has the 3x1000 gyro and flys really nice will do more than i ever want it to do the software is easy to use and it does all listed here so just price things up but if it was me i would still by copterx it flys every day never had a problem with it , Its well made look like it cost more than it did and you being in USA will be easy for you to get parts , If you do get hk450 you will need to change some parts to make it safe to fly
Old Nov 07, 2013, 11:51 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtneil View Post
If you do get hk450 you will need to change some parts to make it safe to fly
I have three HK 450 Pros. I would consider none of them as having been unsafe to fly in stock form. Swapping some parts out for Align or even Tarot ones has merely improved the helis - for example, using the single piece servo mount makes maintenance easier, but has no effect on flight. The thrust bearing tail and GoGoRC slider improve the tail, but don't make it safer. The main factor affecting safety is the thing on the end of the TX sticks.

AFAIK, HK and CopterX helis are pretty much the same (variable) quality and it's wrong or unrealistic to recommend a heli based on a sample size of one. Admittedly you might expect the Black Angel to be a little better quality since it is in effect a "premium" CopterX kit.

It isn't a clone, however, so there is not so much access to known high quality Align parts or even some Tarot parts. I like the belt drive system used for the tail on the BA, but CopterX will be the only game in town for spares. I don't care for the single-point tail pitch control system, and doubt that Align or other dual-point parts would work with the BA tail housing. It might be possible to use the Tarot thrust bearing tail, however, which incorporates Chinese weights in the grips as well as thrust bearings. Stuff I've ordered from eHirobo in the past has taken a couple of weeks to get to the US.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,274 Posts
WELL i am sorry that you feel what i said was not right i have had hk clones and where not that good unless you are paying out loads on a sab goblin algin trex etc some clone are better than others copterx is a clone its a copy it also is a IMOA a good clone and so is tarot if you read what i said check out a tarot as i have not had one but i have had hk and copterx and yes some hk450s are very good but some are very bad i would not have one again i will have copterx or a tarot heard a lot of good things about them but i also know loads of guys that have copterx and never had a problem this is why i only spoke about what i had and not what you had , and you must be unlucky i ordered parts from eHirobo and had them in 11 days from hk and 2 days from uk eHirobo is getting faster shipped as new warehouses are opening
Old Nov 07, 2013, 02:14 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,833 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the Black Angel - but it is definitely not a clone, but an original design.

My main point is that it is easier to get parts for clones, since you can get them from your LHS, usually as genuine Align parts, or online from many sources, including some US ones for Align and Tarot parts.

Although Black Angel parts aren't that expensive, it can still cost less to keep a clone 450 in the air. You can get non-critical parts like battery mounts, tail booms, landing skids and so on for about $1, and Tarot maingears seem to be just as good as Align ones, but can also be found for less than $1.

The CopterX 450 clones, on the other hand, are no better or worse than HK 450 clones, and quite possibly made by the same company, Skya.

.................................................. .................................................. ............................

Ever seen or used those?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,274 Posts
Yes 2doggs i do go with that but every forum i have been on call the copterx a clone so i see it as a clone some align parts fit some don`t not like my hk all parts fit and i am sorry if i misled any one i have never had problem getting parts i started out with the skyartec helis what a pain 4 weeks for any part but i dont have this problem with the copterx parts come fast i also said look at what you can get easy and go with that i would had thought eHirobo being in the USA post out fast i get parts from them faster than they can update shipping info last box of parts was 2 days and i do feel that what you get for your money is good i must have just had some bad hk clones and i do see lots hk450s flying , SO SORRY IF I AFFENDED ANY ONE
Old Nov 07, 2013, 07:45 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,833 Posts
No offence taken here - but I'm pretty sure eHirobo are in China or Hong Kong.

Soneebee on this forum has a BA, converted to FBL, and there's obviously nothing wrong with it judging by how he flies it.
RCG Plus Member