SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2014, 05:21 AM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye4wings View Post
The only thing I don't like about the orange unit is that at higher gains they make the servos chatter, which is going to shorten their life... by how much? No idea!

Anyone know of a stabilizer that doesn't do this?
Robin
Robin - The Eagletree Guardian is much better in this respect, though a bit more expensive. It also has switchable modes, which can be very useful.
GordonTarling is offline Find More Posts by GordonTarling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2014, 07:07 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Jul 2008
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling View Post
Robin - The Eagletree Guardian is much better in this respect, though a bit more expensive. It also has switchable modes, which can be very useful.
Doesn't the Eagletree Guardian have a fairly low current limit?
TongueTied is offline Find More Posts by TongueTied
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:51 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
TT - The manufacturer's website states 5 Amps max servo current draw - should be enough for most average sized models.

Robin - if you're listening, there's a huge thread here on RCG which details how the firmware in those low cost stabilisers can be upgraded to eliminate the servo jitter and give other improvements - hope you like reading!
Old Jun 14, 2014, 05:14 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,502 Posts
Yes I'm listening Gordon!
A bit busy for a long read right now but I'll get to it soon (I hope!). I'm certainly interested.

Robin
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Jun 15, 2014, 06:49 AM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,161 Posts
Just a quick update, all the components for the port wing are complete now so over the next few days I can glue everything up

I had an Orange stabiliser in my small Taylorcraft, it worked in the respect I could fly the plane in winds I wouldnt ordinarily attempt but what I didnt like was how much slower the servos moved which made flying the plane less enjoyable
heli_madken is offline Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:45 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,698 Posts
Looks beautiful Ken.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:54 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Joined Mar 2001
3,129 Posts
Ken - The Lanc is looking great! The BBMF one flew over our house yesterday at about 1000 ft., on its way to the Trooping of the Colour ceremony and then Biggin Hill airshow - brought a lump to the throat!

I'm slightly surprised by your comment about servos running slower with the Orange stabiliser - I've been flying one in my Pulse XT-25 for a couple of years now and have never noticed this. Perhaps upgrading the firmware might help.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:24 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,502 Posts
Just returned from a quick look at the thread on flashing the firmware of the Orange stabiliser(s) and I have to admit I was starting to glaze over by the second post... but I did glean that equipping oneself to do the job is going to cost more than the unit itself.
Maybe a consortium effort?

What I did read made me wonder if the one unit that did not work at all might actually be electronically perfect - but without any firmware... and there's only one way of finding out I suppose.

Have any of us ever done anything with firmware at all? .. Or at least already have the equipment needed?

I too am surprised you felt the servos were slowed Ken.
Maybe I wouldn't notice if mine were too - I would actually welcome slower servos on my models (which are slow themselves) as it would make for less jerky and more scale-like flight... which is why I used stabilisers in the first place!

Robin
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:45 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Jan 2003
4,769 Posts
Reading the posts about the stabilizer. Add what I understand about them. I can see how the perception varies.

If the unit is attempting to keep the wings level and/or keep the airplane from changing it's attitude too quickly. I think I understand what is happening.

~Ken felt a sluggish response; no doubt the result of the unit trying to keep the aircraft stable. And most likely required large stick inputs. making the servos feel slow.

~Gordon flying it in a Pulse 25XT no doubt an airplane that is flown like it's been stolen. Will tend to have higher stick inputs just based on the way that airplane should be flown. It would act a little bit like an exponential function as the sticks get slammed from corner to corner.

~Robin flying slow sedate models would see the smoothing out of all the wind bumps.

A club friend bought an airplane with one of these systems installed. Didn't like it at all because he felt like he was always fighting the system. And didn't have proper control. I'm of the opinion that I am able to crash for many reasons all mostly my fault. I don't need something else in the control path to make me second guess myself. Any day of flying that doesn't end with repairs needed is a great day. OH and that includes getting through doorways without damage as well. coming home from a good day of flying only to get a wing caught in a car door walking into the house and smashing off an elevator. DUMB DUMB
Rick
RiBell is offline Find More Posts by RiBell
Old Jun 15, 2014, 01:15 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Jun 2006
636 Posts
Ken; amazing work on the Lanc, very impressive.

Regarding stability systems; if you feel you are fighting them or don't have full control, it needs adjustment. The intent is to smooth out the junk, and fix the bumps and lumps you couldn't see or react to quickly enough. A properly set up system will appear transparent.

Craig
Craig Greening is offline Find More Posts by Craig Greening
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:25 PM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,502 Posts
Thinking further on from what you said Rick, there were two situations where the stabiliser 'got in the way' for me. One was when my radio was simply swamped by a high power beam (I assume) and everything kicked over and the model was suddenly diving vertical. My system (FASST) takes a couple of seconds to find its Tx signal so whereas an unstabilised system would be naturally trimmed to pull out from its dive the stabiliser held its attitude right to the ground.
The other situation was at the top of a loop where I was used to throttling back and releasing elevator control so the model would continue the loop and require more elevator control half way down. Here the stabiliser saw no signal input on elevator and therefore held the model level but inverted.

I have always assumed that the stabiliser only corrects for an attitude change if it does not see a command related to that function, but if a command is seen allows it straight through. This would still leave the question as to whether all of the signal is passed through or if it is attenuated in the course of the processing done by the stabiliser. As Rick noted I would see attenuation as an improvement because I am looking for scale flight characteristics.

Robin
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:43 PM
cessna_aerobat
Luton, England
Joined Dec 2009
100 Posts
Meanwhile back to the Lancaster......................................... ..........
chrislarkins is offline Find More Posts by chrislarkins
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:24 AM
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,502 Posts
Indeed.

But I notice you couldn't find anything else to say about a build that continues in the same amazing way it always has either Chris!

Robin
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:27 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
601 Posts
It's annoying when the praise words run out and you have to start again form the beginning...

Amazing & superb Job H-MK!

raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:33 AM
CH2A member
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Jan 2014
35 Posts
Hey Ken,

Fantastic progress on your Lanc. I've been away for a while, basically living at the hangar getting FM212 ready for her July 5th roll-out.

After getting caught up on your thread, I read in one of your posts that you are using a needle for riveting. Here's a link to a great tool I have used on my plastic kits that really helps take the tedious-ness (is that a word?) out of that task...

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?...x&cPath=77_110

Radu is a great guy and his modelling tools are very well made. He ships very quickly too.

Keep up the great work!!

Don
Big_Daddy is offline Find More Posts by Big_Daddy