HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Xbee have way too short range for my needs
Datalogging would be nice, but atm. I have "a couple" of different I2C eeproms to test. But I gotta admit, that SD-card would be easier.
Yep, I have two that I am playing with - How easy it is - even to work with the data - pull the card- stick it into the computer and ready to process - no plugging any cords etc.

Both are little stand alone loggers

http://www.flytron.com/osd-headtrack...sd-brands.html

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9530

Am I messed up in my thinking that these little loggers could simply connect up to the tx rx along with the gps and still work fine?
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Last edited by RickEis; Nov 25, 2012 at 04:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,419 Posts
Hope this max-osd new design won't take all the goodies like Jalves's video-telemetry from the lm1881 diy-osd ...If he implements it for max-osd, could you re-implement it to lm1881 to make me happy?
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,706 Posts
the lm1881 requires too much CPU overhead, the max7456 is the way to go in my opinion.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:25 PM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Hope this max-osd new design won't take all the goodies like Jalves's video-telemetry from the lm1881 diy-osd ...If he implements it for max-osd, could you re-implement it to lm1881 to make me happy?
Sorry, way too many projects and too little time. The old DIY-OSD works pretty good and I have been using it a lot. It can be made for something like 5-10$, which is hard to beat. Unfortunately the available CPU-time is pretty limited, and my code is a nightmare to change, as everything is really hard-coded. It was never meant to be as large a projects as it ended up being.
Dennis Frie is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:44 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,036 Posts
Just uploaded the new version...
A lot have been changed and all important standard features should now be included. Phew..
  • NTSC improved
  • SPD, current and time moved to the left
  • mah alligned to the right
  • imperial units included (will change to miles when above 5820 feet)
  • delay-function on start-up screen fixed
  • Barometer-sketch included and new characters (new character set will be loaded)
  • A bunch of other stuff I can't remember

http://code.google.com/p/diy-osd-max7456/downloads/list

New we just need this software tested in air before I'll continue...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Dennis,

Something happened to the gps.

In V2 I simply had to change the BAUD to 38400 and it would see the gps.

Beta2 would not see the gps until I did this also. Beta2, during delay sees the satellites. However, notice the elevation is wrong (should be 4581 ft) and then once the delay goes away everything goes to 0.0 ?
V2 did not do this - it appeared to work perfectly?

If you tell me where to change the alt and mah (move left 2 digits) for this silly monitor, I will for these picts I post here I agree - do nothing to your code because the alignment in my Dominator is perfect

Beta2 says:
#define VOLT_MEAS 0 // Battery voltage A0
#define CURRENT_MEAS 1 // Current sensor A1
#define RSSI_MEAS 2 // RSSI or second battery on A2

Is this right or the schematic ? Schematic shows A1 = RSSI I don't mind doing modifying the schematic

Is RSSI set to go?

I'll have to figure how to get the signal from a EzUHF Rx ? Anyone know how ? The Rx has three wires that connect to the OSD one red, yellow and white? What kind of volts should I be looking for etc.?

Rick
Last edited by RickEis; Nov 25, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Dennis,

Something happened to the gps.

In V2 I simply had to change the BAUD to 38400 and it would see the gps.

Beta2 would not see the gps until I did this also. Beta2, during delay sees the satellites. However, notice the elevation is wrong (should be 4581 ft) and then once the delay goes away everything goes to 0.0 ?
V2 did not do this - it appeared to work perfectly?

If you tell me where to change the alt and mah (move left 2 digits) for this silly monitor, I will for these picts I post here I agree - do nothing to your code because the alignment in my Dominator is perfect

Rick
The altitude is normally off by quite a lot in the beginning.
It's on purpose that everything goes to 0 when home-position have been set. Most people prefer that 0 altitude is the start-position and not necessarily sea-level. You can change it in the config file if you prefer that:

// Altitude offset
//===========================
//Altitude offset (altitude is automatic set to 0 when home-position is set)
//1 = on, 0=off.
#define ALTITUDE_OFFSET 1

If you can pleas try to change ALTIUDE_OFFET to 0 instead of 1 and see if you get the same behaviour. But there is also included some GPS-config that will set MKT-GPS to 5 hz and the necessary NMEA-strings.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Dennis,
Altitude Offset 0 and offset 1 works well - nice feature
Dealing with our silly USA units appears not to be working ~ at least here in altitude - It is showing alt @ 1468 which is fine for meters ~ but should be ~ 4581 feet

I'm not sure why you say, "But there is also included some GPS-config that will set MKT-GPS to 5 hz and the necessary NMEA-strings."
At least what I see (only altitude) things seem to be working when I set BAUD to 38400. I would think if altitude is good so is lat long? Maybe you could toggle lat long (small font below alt) then I would know for sure

Rick
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:30 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Dennis,
Altitude Offset 0 and offset 1 works well - nice feature
Dealing with our silly USA units appears not to be working ~ at least here in altitude - It is showing alt @ 1468 which is fine for meters ~ but should be ~ 4581 feet
Rick
Hi Rick
Sounds weird as I have checked a few times - so I just checked. Turns out it's just a simple typo in the description. It should be
0 = imperial
1 = metric

As you have most likely written 2 as suggested, it will keep the metric-system. Just give it a 0 in units and you should be ready to go
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Dennis,

Yep - elevation looks good

I've been thinking, you say, "The altitude is normally off by quite a lot in the beginning. " You say it is off at the beginning, but gps altitude can be off several meters (feet ) even when locked in to several satellites...yes?

At least what I have seen, isn't the pressure sensor much more accurate in elevation changes? - Can we use the pressure sensor for our altitude instead of GPS or as an option? (Maybe a toggle?)

The Nano ordered should be here Tuesday!
If all goes well, I plan to use some vacation time to mount and test in the air.

Do you see what I adjusted ? This is why your work is so amazing. For those of us that want a customized OSD, this gets us started in a big way !!

Thank you Dennis !

Rick
Last edited by RickEis; Nov 26, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Dennis,
What is the RSSI pin looking for - apparently it is looking for a analog signal yes?
What Voltage values is it looking for?
I believe the EzUHF Rx I have is putting out a digital RSSI signal - one for each antenna (it has two)? I read where there is a digital to analog piece of hardware one can purchase? ....apparently some use a brush-less speed control to get a analog signal ? Does that make sense?
Rick
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:44 AM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
The PPM signal from the EzUHF RSSI could be decoded in the OSD itself, removing the need for the external PPM->Analog converter. It wouldn't even need additional hardware!

Mictronics (he designed the EzUHF PPM converter around an ATtiny) might be able to help with implementing it right away. He's on FPVlab.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:37 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,036 Posts
Reading the PPM-pulse is not very difficult, I have the code written from the PPM-project anyway. It can't be done with the analog input, but must be done with an interrupt-pin.

Just more than a few things that have to be done

At the moment RSSI will just show the raw analog reading with no processing.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:48 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
1,036 Posts
Hmm, if it's possible to make EZUHF include RSSI and signal-info in the PPM signal, a single connection from EZUHF can be used for RSSI, signal-indication and control for OSD...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Hmm, if it's possible to make EZUHF include RSSI and signal-info in the PPM signal, a single connection from EZUHF can be used for RSSI, signal-indication and control for OSD...
I think you are still talking English but I'm not to sure ....
It appears we are very close to testing this Beta2 OSD system in the air. I

It might be wise to have something, anything, indicating some form of signal strength. The EZUHF rx has two antennas and three wires for some form of RSSI signal on each antenna. One wire is white another yellow and another is red.

One test should be to see if feet roll into miles at the one mile marker