SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, MD, Bethesda
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts
Discussion
Never buy from bananahobby

Bananahobby is the worst. Its frustrating for newbees like me just getting back into the hobby to have to deal with a company that doesn't care for their customers. Pete talks a big game about the hobby and how great it is and all that but his company doesn't back up his message.

I got an ART-TECH AT6 and the wing showed up warped and the paint started falling off the moment you touched it. When the plane showed up i sent bananahobby an e-mail with photos of the problems. Long story short it took about a month or so to get me a coupon code (15%). They can't mail me a wing cause they don't have any in stock.

During the time when i was attempting to retrieve the coupon code the new FMS V7 mustangs came out for 165.00. I was waiting to get one with the coupon code so i could use the code to save money. Well now bananahobby offers free shipping on planes 149 and up and surprise surprise the V7 mustangs are 209. So here's how it works out.

Today:
If i buy the plane and use the free shipping option plane comes to 209 (without coupon code).

If i buy the plane and use my 15% off coupon the plane comes to 202. You may wonder why only 7 dollars difference. Well the management at bannanahobby decided to take away the free shipping the moment you use any coupon code (thus i would have to pay 30 for shipping). I called their sales team up and talked to them about this. I informed them of the $7 difference and told them that i know the new price of 209 has shipping included built into the price.. I asked them to remove the shipping cost out of the 209 so i could use the 15% against the 165 original price and then i'd have to pay for shipping. No luck. THey asked that I wait to use the 15% when free shipping was removed from the base price.

Sucks cause i'd rather give my money to a company that resides in the USA over hobbyking but....if bananahobby treats their customers this way i have no option.
ryanbe15 is offline Find More Posts by ryanbe15
Last edited by ryanbe15; Nov 06, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:48 PM
AMA#313760
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined May 2009
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbe15 View Post
Bananahobby is the worst. Its frustrating for newbees like me just getting back into the hobby to have to deal with a company that doesn't care for their customers. Pete talks a big game about the hobby and how great it is and all that but his company doesn't back up his message.

I got an ART-TECH AT6 and the wing showed up warped and the paint started falling off the moment you touched it. When the plane showed up i sent bananahobby an e-mail with photos of the problems. Long story short it took about a month or so to get me a coupon code (15%). They can't mail me a wing cause they don't have any in stock.

During the time when i was attempting to retrieve the coupon code the new FMS V7 mustangs came out for 165.00. I was waiting to get one with the coupon code so i could use the code to save money. Well now bananahobby offers free shipping on planes 149 and up and surprise surprise the V7 mustangs are 209. So here's how it works out.

Today:
If i buy the plane and use the free shipping option plane comes to 209 (without coupon code).

If i buy the plane and use my 15% off coupon the plane comes to 202. You may wonder why only 7 dollars difference. Well the management at bannanahobby decided to take away the free shipping the moment you use any coupon code (thus i would have to pay 30 for shipping). I called their sales team up and talked to them about this. I informed them of the $7 difference and told them that i know the new price of 209 has shipping included built into the price.. I asked them to remove the shipping cost out of the 209 so i could use the 15% against the 165 original price and then i'd have to pay for shipping. No luck. THey asked that I wait to use the 15% when free shipping was removed from the base price.

Once i can get a plane for a decent price and use my coupon code I will be done with bananahobby for ever. Sucks cause i'd rather give my money to a company that resides in the USA over hobbyking but....if bananahobby treats their customers this way i have no option.
Very sad to hear, BH was trying to get better, then moved to a new place which changed their prices. Sad very sad. Customers will start to be few and far between.

John
JLogan is offline Find More Posts by JLogan
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts
Yeah im done with them. As a newbie, any recommendations to buy planes at a reasonable price with good service? I'm all for paying a few more bucks if the product is sold from a USA company.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:40 PM
Corona, CA
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2011
376 Posts
Buying an FMS airplane from another vendor in the USA isn't possible. Bannana hobby is the mafia retailer for FMS.

Vote with your dollars.
P 51 Jockey is offline Find More Posts by P 51 Jockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Hanger 9 Miss America 67"
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Try, rcplanebuilder.com, crashtesthobby.com, killerplanes.com, and if you read enough threads here on this forum you'll find more.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:53 AM
John
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
2,002 Posts
..drinking...
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
Last edited by jk6672; Nov 06, 2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:06 AM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbe15 View Post
Yeah im done with them. As a newbie, any recommendations to buy planes at a reasonable price with good service? I'm all for paying a few more bucks if the product is sold from a USA company.
Horizon Hobby
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined Jun 2012
436 Posts
Here let them know in the vendor forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759343

every one here is pissed
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:46 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
I have purchased several planes from them (including the big P-51 and the J-Power P-38).

I have not had a problem with any of them, or Banana Hobby.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:34 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,659 Posts
ive seen so many of these BH complaints. you might just be better off taking a loss, and just purchase from someone else totally. you run the risk of having to deal with them further. i was lucky when i got in the hobby, and i heard these complaints before i started buying my planes.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:55 AM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,213 Posts
5 planes from BH, flown 3.

3 came with missing small parts, but since I got these models cheap anyway, I am not complaining. I just went to the LHS and purchased the missing parts.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:15 AM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Another company that has good customer service is Grayson hobby, they are in Georgia. They made a mistake in an order for me once. I sent them an email, they responded quickly (later that day), and in a few days the complete order was sitting on my doorstep. So, not only did they send me the correct part, but included all the other parts as well. So I essentially got a double order, plus a collet for a Dynam BF190, for the cost out of my pocket of a single order. About a month later I ordered the Dynam BF190 from them with an extra prop and spinner. All arrived quickly, accurately and in good condition.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:38 AM
Joined Sep 2012
267 Posts
Yup i will check them out. Thanks. Competition is good.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Aug 2012
53 Posts
As I said somewhere else:

"So in short. Banana can work well for you if you know what you want/research the product here or on other forums. If you expect to pay what you're paying and have everything work flawlessly out of the box, with Banana responding promptly to any problem or issue no matter how minor...well no. Banana is like most of the high volume low margin merchants I've dealt with. The product is the product, good or bad (and Banana really does have some winners), the service is the bare essentials; nice reps, slow to respond, limited liability. If you expect anything more, shop at a more expensive company."

They've dealt with all of my problems to my satisfaction.
rogue wolf is offline Find More Posts by rogue wolf
Closed Thread