HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:03 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,208 Posts
Discussion
Frsky X12D radio

WARNING: This started as a rumor-rant-speculative thread, about the radio that seems to be the first democratically designed radio in the history, based on a broad coopera(n)tion (R) between manufacturer and the end users.
Somewhere at page 181, post #2709 the thread was split into a new thread about the first result of these discussions.
The thread continue past that point with discussions about the second radio in pipe

Ok, so before wild rumors start spreading, as I seen in some recent threads, here are some specs of the future Frsky radio.
First, the main reason to post this, Frsky radio it is not related to rumored HK 9XR radio ! They share a single feature so far: both will be the first and at the beginning the only radios able to run Frsky future digital protocol PXX.

And now the specs:
- built-in module, while the other module (initial Futaba case, further specs were switched to JR case) can be connected externally. You can select which one of the two to work, or two at the same time to establish a two-module two-frequency (2.4 + other band) system. FrSky coming long range system module and TF module are also supported as external module. TF module is coming Frsky FASST compatible telemetry module.
- Number of channels: 12ch + 6ch (3+3 extensible)
- ARM M4 core processor (512K FLASH, 128K RAM)
- 212*64 LED back-light LCD
- Audio earphone output
- 32 native memories + SD card (data logger + extended memories)
- Free RTOS operation system/Fr GUI self-developed by FrSky

Any third-party development is welcome, and FrSky are willing to provide necessary hardware and software support. Protocol and diagram will be open to all, while source code will be open to qualified developers.

FrSky telemetry module with new PXX protocol
- Three modes selectable: V8 (non-telemetry 8ch), D8 (telemetry 8ch), D16 (telemetry 16ch)
- D16 mode: PXX only; support both Tx→Rx and Rx→Tx transparent telemetry transmission; support radio-side options for bind, range check, normal working, failsafe and model match
- PXX/PPM auto detect

Release date: season 3 2012 at announcement date, indefinite delayed as of January 2013
Price: reasonable and affordable

No pictures for now
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Apr 06, 2013 at 02:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,731 Posts
Thanks for the info. It sounds really interesting and is obviously a very different concept from the coming upgrade of the 9x transmitter.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:36 PM
Aachen, Germany
Joined Jun 2007
646 Posts
Any plans for a tray version?
spainman is offline Find More Posts by spainman
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:42 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,521 Posts
Listening in for updates.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:30 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,811 Posts
Well I guess the cat is out of the bag now.

I really like that the X12D has the SD slot for added memory and data logging. I also love that is has more than the standard 8 channels. That puts it into competition with some very expensive radios!

The dual module capability is interesting. This in theory would allow you to use FrSky on most planes, yet jump to say DSM2 for bind and fly planes. Heck, you could jump back to FM or UHF if you had the need. Keeps the radio open to a good long life span!

The best feature is the open development that FrSky uses with all of their projects. The development from the community is sure to bring many great features and uses that we aren't even thinking of at this moment.

We are certainly looking forward to this new transmitter!! Do we want to mention anything about the new sensors?

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Those that doesn't understand some part. This radio has a real built in computer. ARM processor, ram, storage. Those that doesn't know. Some of our today smart phone run on ARM. Like Iphone, most Android smartphone, tablet even Nvidia tegra chip are powered on ARM. So what does this mean to you? The software is a small wee operating system but there not much more information. Microsoft is developing first Windows operating system that run on ARM. There is already kernal that support ARM processor for Linux. Google been developing their OS for Arm for couple years.

I love the fact that this radio has a built in computer like a real computer. And that developer with skill are able to create maybe os for it or add feature to it to make it a mighty radio. I always were interested with open source. Open source is great. Opensource = Freedom

Don't expect to see popular brand to release a open source system!
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Last edited by jcervantes11; Apr 23, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Well I guess the cat is out of the bag now.

I really like that the X12D has the SD slot for added memory and data logging. I also love that is has more than the standard 8 channels. That puts it into competition with some very expensive radios!

The dual module capability is interesting. This in theory would allow you to use FrSky on most planes, yet jump to say DSM2 for bind and fly planes. Heck, you could jump back to FM or UHF if you had the need. Keeps the radio open to a good long life span!

The best feature is the open development that FrSky uses with all of their projects. The development from the community is sure to bring many great features and uses that we aren't even thinking of at this moment.

We are certainly looking forward to this new transmitter!! Do we want to mention anything about the new sensors?

-Wayne
Sure would like to know the detail of the new sensor. So will it have a switch of some sort or setting to select which module we want to use? Can it be used for
helis?
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:07 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,811 Posts
It can be used for Helis. No switches or anything else needed.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:07 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,898 Posts
('l')
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
M4 is better than the one used in ersky?
the LonRange module of frsky is UHF based? telemetry featured?
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:35 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,208 Posts
Much better !
Compare yourself:
- 32bit M4 vs 8bit Atmega = four times more information processed in the same time.
- 40-70MHz clock vs 16MHz Atmega = 3-4 faster processing
Multiply the two and you will get a 9-16 times more processor power.

Could be a STM32 processor, as in all the other Frsky products, as DHT-U, Tx modules, or other M4 implementation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cor...lementations_5

Arduino fans can develop their style too, using compatibility projects like this:
http://www.emcu.it/ARDUINO-STM32/Ard...l#The_Software

So maybe will have erazz software on X12D too, one day
Last edited by renatoa; Apr 24, 2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:11 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
hi renota, in fact i was talking about the ARM SAM3S of ersky9x board vs M4 of X12D
has double the ram and flsh any way, so must be a quite powerful radio,

x12d lacks of bluetooth however,
can't wait to see first pictures,
is going to be a nice competition between 9xr and x12d

considering the x12d screen, it may have the style of a jr 9XII (i mean screen at bottom)
Last edited by wallaguest1; Apr 24, 2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:20 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,208 Posts
Didn't know what is ersky, now I know
BT can be added, but what purpose to add another transmitting 2.4Ghz device so close, to decrease the telemetry range ?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined Nov 2006
2,118 Posts
to connect an android phone and use it as a pocket ground station and see plane position real time in a map, connect two radios for training without wires,
or even to send new waypoints to an AMP2 board with a click in the screen phone,

just 5mw or less of power will be enough for connect a phone near it, and will decrease almost nothing the telemetry range,
any way, if the UHF Long Range they are developing got telemetry too, then it's going to be zero problems any way
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Jun 2005
160 Posts
Hi RENATOA

Quote:
Any third-party development is welcome
I've made all this stuff : Android / pc tools / sensor board glider oriented (blog). How to coop with FrSky ? I'am ready.

Arm M4, good choice : 32bits and DSP peripheral + RTOS.
zenoid is offline Find More Posts by zenoid
Last edited by zenoid; Apr 24, 2012 at 03:47 AM.
Closed Thread