HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
84 Posts
Discussion
worst epic fail EVER.

After a long night of rebuilding my Genius CP, I thought I would take it out for some fun on my lunch hour. I bought the double brushless kit, but only installed the BL main motor, with a mini cp tail motor.

So I hit up the local field, it's a water treatment plant with a park next to it, and its quite fairly empty.

I walk with my head up and proud, and take it out of my newly acquired helicopter box, finished with foam padding and cutouts. SO happy.

I fly through the first battery and man does this bird ever have fast pitches ! so cool. I ended up crashing it into the ground when a servo horn broke off, but fixed it right after.

Take off again, and oh high it goes ! I lament on the sighting of an observing pedestrian as I can't take the pressure of my amateur flying skills. I decide to lower the plane down. and damn, the tail starts to blow out !!

o..m..g.

I manage to gain control of it, but its way too high up there to correct to tail in orientation since thats the only one I know how to fly, and it ends up taking a nose dive...

Hard on the controls, I jam my right thumb for right aileron, harder than I've ever pushed before, but it is still diving...

It all goes down in a matter of a second and no sound of any impact of it hitting the ground?

no...really...no.. it didnt.. NO !!!!

i wish i had the bravery to go get my camera and take a pic of what happened, but it was just a blur as i was in shock and i see my poor little plane with its red light and servos twitching at the bottom of a sewer grater.

andrewho83 is offline Find More Posts by andrewho83
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
59 Posts
ouch. . I've landed a few times close to an grated storm drain..
greyhoundfan is offline Find More Posts by greyhoundfan
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewho83 View Post
After a long night of rebuilding my Genius CP, I thought I would take it out for some fun on my lunch hour. I bought the double brushless kit, but only installed the BL main motor, with a mini cp tail motor.

So I hit up the local field, it's a water treatment plant with a park next to it, and its quite fairly empty.

I walk with my head up and proud, and take it out of my newly acquired helicopter box, finished with foam padding and cutouts. SO happy.

I fly through the first battery and man does this bird ever have fast pitches ! so cool. I ended up crashing it into the ground when a servo horn broke off, but fixed it right after.

Take off again, and oh high it goes ! I lament on the sighting of an observing pedestrian as I can't take the pressure of my amateur flying skills. I decide to lower the plane down. and damn, the tail starts to blow out !!

o..m..g.

I manage to gain control of it, but its way too high up there to correct to tail in orientation since thats the only one I know how to fly, and it ends up taking a nose dive...

Hard on the controls, I jam my right thumb for right aileron, harder than I've ever pushed before, but it is still diving...

It all goes down in a matter of a second and no sound of any impact of it hitting the ground?

no...really...no.. it didnt.. NO !!!!

i wish i had the bravery to go get my camera and take a pic of what happened, but it was just a blur as i was in shock and i see my poor little plane with its red light and servos twitching at the bottom of a sewer grater.

Have you even been ice fishing before? Whatever you drop will always somehow find its way into a 7 inch hole in the ice, despite having miles of solid frozen lake or ground around the hole

Sorry for your loss.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Did you get it then?

I crashed my V120D02S into a sludge filled sewer recently but that was industrial waste. So I had no qualms in getting it out. However, I would think twice if it were human excrement.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Jan 2012
84 Posts
Yeah I managed to retrieve it with a stick. The servos were twitching, but I think the board is dead for sure.

I made a stupid mistake of wiping it down and then trying (without knowing if I wiped all the water away), but to no avail, the bird didnt bind.

What is weird is that when I saw the bird in there, I put on throttle hold, and I could see the green light turn on, which means the board was responding - but something must have happened between taking it out, wiping it off, and trying it again (while moist). blah !

It was actually just clean water, no human excrement, thank GOD !

but i'm bummed out after I had spent over $80 in parts just to crash it down.
andrewho83 is offline Find More Posts by andrewho83
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
you AlWAYS let electronics dry overnight before trying to power them.
That sucks dude.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Nov 2011
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
you AlWAYS let electronics dry overnight before trying to power them.
That sucks dude.
Go spend a dollar on a bag of the cheapest white rice you can find, remove the canopy and bury the heli in rice. Give it overnight and see what happens. I've saved a few devices from watery graves this way and for the price it's always worth a try.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
Friend of mine just drove his rc10 into a runoff drain, one of the ones that are built into the curb.

He had miles of curb he could have ran into but like the ice hole analogy he found the one with a hole in it..lol
liduno is offline Find More Posts by liduno
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Nov 2011
776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liduno View Post
Friend of mine just drove his rc10 into a runoff drain, one of the ones that are built into the curb.

He had miles of curb he could have ran into but like the ice hole analogy he found the one with a hole in it..lol
The ice hole analogy is actually a real phenomenon when it comes to driving/flying things.

I did racing instruction for cars and karts for several years and you wouldn't believe how much of a difference where someone is looking makes when it comes to lap times... and hitting things. People tend to do two things, go where they're looking and look at the wrong things. Unfortunately most folks tend to stare at something they're afraid that they'll hit (cones, poles, tires, etc) and then drive right into it. Same thing applies to RC.

In the end, it means, look where you want the heli to go, not where you're afraid it'll go (that pole, the bush, the ground). You'll be surprised how well your brain can manage to fly your helicopter without you staring and doing all that thinking
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Feb 2012
271 Posts
I have also noticed when you drop a screw or a bolt when working on a car it will inevitably go directly to the center of the car, I call the it finding magnetic north..lol
liduno is offline Find More Posts by liduno