Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:09 PM
Demonstrations on Saturdays!
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
405 Posts
Alert
HK Clipped Wing Cub cheap!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17628

Just picked up this 63" clipped wing Cub for $50.00 on HK's USA site. Sells for near $100.00 on their others. Close out or something? Swingin' deal anyway. Manual available on the China site under the "files" tab.
gravityking is offline Find More Posts by gravityking
Last edited by gravityking; Jan 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:22 AM
I can fix that!
United States, CA, Del Mar
Joined Oct 2008
636 Posts
wow great find. Its a solid kit too.
Just too Bad the Shipping is as much as the plane (
beladog is offline Find More Posts by beladog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ground Station
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:05 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beladog View Post
wow great find. Its a solid kit too.
Just too Bad the Shipping is as much as the plane (
On the USA site the shipping should not be more than $20. Is it? Would this make a good trainer?
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:53 AM
Joined Jan 2012
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
On the USA site the shipping should not be more than $20. Is it? Would this make a good trainer?
USPS to northern CA was $38.00 but the shipping is the same if it sells for $50 or $100.

And the Cub has been an acceptable trainer for a lot of people including me. This being a clipped wing makes it a little less forgiving but if you're going to work with a instructor I would do it.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:46 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,067 Posts
Shipping all the way to the right coast is $39.00. You would think shipping two states away would be cheaper.
Anyone know who makes this plane for HK?
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:38 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,843 Posts
Not sure how you guys are getting the shipping charges, but it shows

UPS 3000-3999g (Within USA) $40.01
USPS Parcel Post 5-6Day Oversize US-PP $35.64

$85.64 is not a bad price for this gentle giant.

I'm really, really itching to pull the trigger, but I just don't have the storage space.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:23 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,843 Posts
Gravity,

once you get yours, can you comment on the kit. There was a comment on the reviews section about how awful the kit is:

================
Average at best, received mine with dis-jointed spars in the tail section which required uncovering, re-glueing and then patching up the covering, severely warped rudder, all the critical glue joints in the nose of the plane were barely glue causing the firewall to dislodge before first flight whilst taxi testing...these were unable to be seen during build..landing gear is flimsy and nut from suspension rod snapped off after 5-10 metres of travel on smooth grass. Pathetic Hobby-king PATHETIC...
================
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,067 Posts
Almost all of those issues sound typical of "white box " chicom kits. Throw out the hardware and get new, re-glue all of joints in the fuse, misaligned parts, subpar covering, etc..
Under $100.00 makes it a little easier to deal with though.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:43 PM
I can fix that!
Joined Oct 2008
636 Posts
I'm sure even H-9 gets its share of complaints. They just don't provide a forum where they let you publicly vent.
I purchased this, or an extremely similar kit from Nitro a couple years back for $120.
It's a B grade build for sure but you are getting an Unbelievable deal here.
As with any plane somebody else builds, its always a great idea...scratch that, it's imperative that you go over it with a fine tooth comb. All the issues posted above sound typical of almost any "ARF" kit I have ever assembled.

I also agree that this is a wonderful trainer. One of the best.
Now days people are so spoiled with ARF and foamys that they forget completely that there was a time you had to build your planes before you could fly them.

A box full of wood strips and blocks and a few rolls of covering was enough to weed out all but the most daring modelers. The reward was a respect and understanding of your plane that is almost certainly lost with the majority of modelers today

These ARF kits are amazing and for the price seem like a bargain to me. Even if you have to un-cover and re-glue a few joints Lol.
If the rudder comes warped (like almost all the woodies handed down to me), usually a quick tweak and a blast with some hot air will fix them right up!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Jan 2012
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
Gravity,

once you get yours, can you comment on the kit. There was a comment on the reviews section about how awful the kit is:

================
Average at best, received mine with dis-jointed spars in the tail section which required uncovering, re-glueing and then patching up the covering, severely warped rudder, all the critical glue joints in the nose of the plane were barely glue causing the firewall to dislodge before first flight whilst taxi testing...these were unable to be seen during build..landing gear is flimsy and nut from suspension rod snapped off after 5-10 metres of travel on smooth grass. Pathetic Hobby-king PATHETIC...
================
Yea I read that one too then I read 10 to the opposite so I just figured it was one of those "some people...." kinda things. But flyingwalenda is right. I'm sure there are some touch ups to finish it properly and I never use the boxed hardware. If I had a plane for every control clevis that broke in mid air I'd be the Air Force!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beladog View Post
It's a B grade build for sure but you are getting an Unbelievable deal here.
As with any plane somebody else builds, its always a great idea...scratch that, it's imperative that you go over it with a fine tooth comb. All the issues posted above sound typical of almost any "ARF" kit I have ever assembled.
Believe me...I have 20+ planes and 3/4 of those are ARF's so I'm familiar with the drill. But I also know that HK has some super crappy ARF's also and I want to avoid and weed those out...and what better way than to ask a fellow RCGer..
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
I can fix that!
Joined Oct 2008
636 Posts
Quote:
...HK has some super crappy ARF's also and I want to avoid and weed those out...and what better way than to ask a fellow RCGer..
here ya there bro.
always good to get non bias feedback : )
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
405 Posts
Will do and review, with pics. Everybody can make up their own mind that way.

Quote:
Believe me...I have 20+ planes and 3/4 of those are ARF's so I'm familiar with the drill. But I also know that HK has some super crappy ARF's also and I want to avoid and weed those out...and what better way than to ask a fellow RCGer..
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:22 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityking View Post
Will do and review, with pics. Everybody can make up their own mind that way.
Thanks. Anyways, I couldn't wait...it was too tempting at $49...I went ahead and pulled the trigger last night.

I'm planning on as light of a build as possible.

I don't mean to derail the thread but here's my setup (these are existing gear I have lying around):

118 gram 910kv brushless
13x4 E APC
40 amp ESC
3000 mah 3S Lipo
2x 32 gram MG servo rudder/elevator
2x 18 gram MG servo (ailerons)

This setup should get me close to 350W and close to 2000 grams thrust at WOT. I'm shooting for AUW of no more than 2300 grams.

I want that nice scale flight...and not the crazy banana effect
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,067 Posts
Cubs don't need much power but rather torque to fly. You can have a lot of fun with a clipped wing especially if you have a little extra in the power plant ! None of them should be extremely overpowered or flown really hard as they will get you into trouble.....true to full scale.