HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2013
181 Posts
Which is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Killer View Post
Which of these planes actually fly better than the others? Stock, straight out of the box - which of these guys flys the best?
Hi Senior, you will not go wrong with the T-28. It has quite a bit of dihedral so very stable. Flies on rails and is awesome fast on 4s...at half throttle

On full throttle it's out of sight in 3 seconds

I'll be able to compare it with the rarebear in a few days.....
Woooody is offline Find More Posts by Woooody
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
accidental ignition
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I think there are manufacturing variances that cause difficulty with some planes, while other people have no issues.

In particular the amount of thrust offset does vary. My rarebear flew better with a little aluminum trimtab to prevent tucking on turns. I added more right thrust and no longer use a trimtab.
I use small washers between the motor mount and motor to adjust the right thrust and slightly downward angle. Up, down, left, right, can all be adjusted with the washers.

Positioning the battery with its edge on the floor, and flat side of battery against the right side of fuselage is much better to resist torque roll, verses having it on the left side of fuselage which will increase torque roll. Doing this allowed me to reduce right thrust a little on my sea fury, which looks better to me.

I love how my sea fury handles. The sea fury's main weakness is the wings will crack and break along a line going front to rear through the hole for the aileron servo arm. At that point the wing chord is shorter due to the aileron cut-out and the hole for the servo arm. During a rough landing cartwheel both wings broke at this weak spot. After re-attaching the wing tips, I embedded 2mm carbon fiber rods along the leading edge and trailing edge across the narrow chord failure point. Problem solved! I recommend doing this mod before maiden when you have ailerons out at the wingtips. Most skyangel mini-warbirds have the ailerons more inboard than the sea fury. The FW-190 is another one with ailerons at the wingtips.
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Last edited by NOTAR 600; Yesterday at 11:03 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR 600 View Post
The sea fury's main weakness is the wings will crack and break along a line going front to rear through the hole for the aileron servo arm.
Pete's texan broke in exactly the same spot (video above), something else failed first causing it to dive which then cracked one of the wings across the chord at the servo hole.

I only briefly saw the aftermath but as far as I could tell the wing was being supported by 3x separate carbon spar's because of the flat section in the middle of the wing. The center spar ends & was glued to the wing spar right where the servo hole starts so its a definite weak spot. Im sure there was also some fluttering at high speed before the incident. We now realise its not the best option for speed or stressful flying.

The rarebear also tried to fold its wings at the same spot but resisted it much better, some added carbon spars near the trailing edge has kept the wings rigid & in shape. Its been taking abuse for around 1 year now so lasted a lot longer than the texan.
limmacslim is offline Find More Posts by limmacslim
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM
accidental ignition
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by limmacslim View Post
Pete's texan broke in exactly the same spot, something else failed first causing it to dive which then cracked one of the wings across the chord at the servo hole.
I saw that video......such a brutal crash!

We have nice weather today, 63* calm and partly sunny. Fixing to go out for a november flying session.
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAR 600 View Post
I use small washers between the motor mount and motor to adjust the right thrust and slightly downward angle. Up, down, left, right, can all be adjusted with the washers.

Positioning the battery with its edge on the floor, and flat side of battery against the right side of fuselage is much better to resist torque roll, verses having it on the left side of fuselage which will increase torque roll. Doing this allowed me to reduce right thrust a little on my sea fury, which looks better to me.

I love how my sea fury handles. The sea fury's main weakness is the wings will crack and break along a line going front to rear through the hole for the aileron servo arm. At that point the wing chord is shorter due to the aileron cut-out and the hole for the servo arm. During a rough landing cartwheel both wings broke at this weak spot. After re-attaching the wing tips, I embedded 2mm carbon fiber rods along the leading edge and trailing edge across the narrow chord failure point. Problem solved! I recommend doing this mod before maiden when you have ailerons out at the wingtips. Most skyangel mini-warbirds have the ailerons more inboard than the sea fury. The FW-190 is another one with ailerons at the wingtips.
Gonna have to tuck that chestnut away since I may at some pint get the seafury....
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
Joined Jan 2014
25 Posts
Yep, it won't open for me either. I have been having trouble with it for a few days.
Richard Haynes is offline Find More Posts by Richard Haynes
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
Joined Jan 2014
25 Posts
Hobbyking Website problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooody View Post
Anybody else having problems with Hobbyking's website?

If so, please LOG OUT so that I can buy my Rarebear kit!!!! Thanks
It is not opening for me either.
Richard Haynes is offline Find More Posts by Richard Haynes
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
Capt. Peter
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2012
120 Posts
Shoddyking website isn't working for me still either...

I hope they are still processing the deliveries as I had another Rearbear on order before the big crash (the site not the Texan lol)

Speaking of the Texan, it's all back together now but still needs some work done, mainly adding some more carbon to the wing (one long piece) and deciding which motor to shove in... I think I might stick to the 2700kv NTM but need another ESC as the crash destroyed the plush 60a that was in there. Also with the 1 piece of carbon, I'll be taking out the dihedral so it might be a bit more of a handful to fly.... Has anyone else don't this to their funfighters?
peterules is online now Find More Posts by peterules
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM
Joined Jul 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTrain View Post
Agree with everyone throw it in the air!!!
Finally threw it in the air without moving motor! Despite the excessive angled down motor, I had no issues! In fact ended up trimming the elevator up since the plane wanted to climb at high speed.

Thanks all for your suggestions!
rccraze is offline Find More Posts by rccraze