New Products Flash Sale

HoTTrigger 1400 Sport 3D - Graupner USA - Review

The HoTTrigger is for the sport and 3D pilot. It is designed around the NACA 63-A-mod wing foil....

Splash

A Big Foam 3D Plane that is a Solid Flyer!

Wingspan: 55"
Length: 53"
Flying Weight: 3.74lbs
Prop Size: 13x4
Servos: Has all servos installed.
Battery: 4S 2200mAh
[B]Available at: Graupner USA
Price: $249 Receiver Ready

I have been familiar with Graupner products for over 16 years. I have even had the pleasure of flying with Mr. Graupner and his son at our field here in Nashville. Their designs are always solid. When Manny from Graupner USA contacted me about a foam 3D plane I had to say yes!

The HoTTrigger is for the sport and 3D pilot. It is designed around the NACA 63-A-mod wing foil. The HoTTriger has a wide flight envelope - slow flight to high speed flight. It's very controllable at all speeds. The foam is SOLIDPOR. This is a pretty strong material that can take some abuse.

Wing Locking Mechanism

The wings are attached to the fuselage with a special locking mechanism making assembly at the field easy while also securing the wings during flight. This provides a simple, but effective, way to remove your wings to get to the field. Attaching the wings is super fast and requires no tools - SCORE!!

An Easy Build

The HoTTrigger 1400 has all servos, motor and ESC RTF. The actual assembly is straightforward and requires basic tools to finish. It took me longer to apply the stickers than it took to build the entire plane!

Features

• Easy access to battery compartment
  • Carbon tube for main wing
  • Aluminum main landing gear
  • Detachable rudder and stabilizer
  • Custom ball link control horns
  • Quick wing lock assembly (no screws)
  • Optional creative designs with supplied decals
  • Controls: Aileron, Rudder, Elevator, Motor

Included in the Box

• Powerful motor rated for 4S operation
  • 4 x Control Servos
  • Speed controller with BEC
  • Main landing gear and wheels
  • Wheel pants
  • Propeller and spinner
  • Decorative decals SD and IRON design

Video - Unboxing

Check out what you get with the receiver ready version.

Graupner USA - HoTTrigger 1400 Sport 3D ARF - RCGroups Unboxing (15 min 14 sec)

Build Video and Photos

Here is my build video. This plane builds so fast and easy you really don't need the instructions!

Graupner USA - HotTrigger Build Video - RCGroups.com (16 min 57 sec)

The Decals

The plane came with multiple versions of decal sheets. I went with the red and black but I also incorporated some checkerboard and tear away black from another scheme. Take it slow and do it right! The plane looked totally different after I finished. Adding the decals took longer than assembling the whole plane!

Flight Video and Photos

I have done maidens on review planes that were "eventful." This one was not! I made sure the CG was right and set it up per the instructions. She was in the air and flew great right off the bat. The plane is a "groover" and flies on rails. Hovering, knife edge, snaps, rolling circles, it did it all.

If you are looking for a sport plane this will do that well too. Hammer heads and scale like maneuvers are easy with the HoTTrigger. It is exactly what I would expect from Graupner.

Graupner USA - HotTrigger Flight Video - RCGroups.com (8 min 35 sec)

Conclusion

The build was super easy and the design is super smart. The graphics look awesome to me and the stickers were forgiving (could pull up and put back on). The wing locking mech is a big sale. You can leave them on or easily remove them for travel. I was surprised how well the motor pulled the plane and the provided prop can take a hit. The foam used is very durable. It took some hits to the basement roof during the build and didn't care. I'm sure if you were to crash this plane you can Foamtac or CA it back together.

The plane would not drop a wing. We throttled down (in the video) and kept pulling back on the elevator. Instead of dropping a wing the plane simply went into and elevator and descended. AWESOME!

I did pull the landing gear out when I flew longer than the battery allowed. It is a plastic piece that didn't seemed to be glued into the fuse. At the base was a wood piece that was glued in. When I brought her in on rough ground the landing gear literally popped off. The good news is it was very simple to glue back one. Time will tell how well it will last now. I'm a big fan of this plane and plan on some daily flying excursions each morning with it. I'm also thinking about put an OSD and FPV setup and flying it via my goggles. If you are looking for a plane that is an easy build, transportable and a great flying then give the HoTTrigger a shot!

Old Jun 06, 2016, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by Depronicus
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
3,001 Posts
Foamie technology marches on. Looks pretty perfect for a first 3D plane or a go-to daily flyer. It sure seems to fly well enough.

The unapplied graphic stickers is great. You can do anything you want with the bare foam.

The landing gear may or may not be an issue, but if you fly off a hard surface, it sounds like it won't be a problem.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Jun 07, 2016, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by krexken
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,233 Posts
Nice review. I kinda like the unpainted approach also since lots of modelers may prefer to paint their own.

This review probably belongs in the Foamie 3d section though
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken