Old Apr 30, 2001, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by nalondivad
Loundon, Va. USA
Joined Feb 2001
182 Posts
Hi David,
Thanks for the info. the wings I am building are for a sport plane like a Cap, Extra, etc. probably around 40", and sheeted with balsa. I have had planes before with foam wings and liked them, I just could not find the white foam thick enough, was looking for about 1 1/2" - 2" and all I could find is a 1" thickness. I'm not sure of the density of the pink foam, it is the typcal home builder stuff and feels much denser than the white 1lb stuff. I figured it would make a great slow flyer wing, but I was not sure how it would do sheeted and on a hotter model.

Thanks,
David
nalondivad is offline Find More Posts by nalondivad
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2001, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,572 Posts
I have used the pink (Owens-Corning) foam used for insulating basement walls. I buy the 1.5" thick board.

I cut wings out of this for my first plane, a 56" WS foamie trainer.

With nothing but packing tape for strength, the wing held up without a problem for 17 crashes in 222 flights.

Glue two pieces together for fuses. I use Elmers glue on this foam. Epoxy will also work.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Apr 30, 2001, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by John Price
UK
Joined Apr 2001
18 Posts
Hi David
I agree that white foam is fine for above 10% thick but below that use pink. Consider covering with brown paper. It takes a bit of practice. Here are a few tips. Source of supply - any paper bag makers. They have end of roll rolls for a couple of coins in the charity box! and single sheets of differing thicknesses. Cover the wing in 3 pieces with about 3/16 overlap.Cut the sheets to size before you start. First soak the paper in tepid water for 5 mins or so then sponge/squeegee off the surplus water and apply whitewood glue thinned to about 50-50 with water to both foam and paper with a brush. Apply very thoroughly to the edges. When in position smooth over with a dry cloth. With thinish wings it may pay to support in position with some weights whilst drying to prevent warping (or set in some washout at this point). I apply the top 1st with a generous wrap on to the under surface. Then the bottom allowing a 1/2" overlap all round. You can then spray or brush paint or use any of the plastic films.
I use 2 grades 2.1/2 thou and 5 thou thick. The thinner one is much easier to achieve a smooth finish.
This is quite quick and surprisingly strong particularly in torsion. Good luck - John.
John Price is offline Find More Posts by John Price
Old Apr 30, 2001, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by Sal C
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,479 Posts
I think the further north you live the thicker the foam becomes available. My Home Depot carries pink & white foam up to 2 1/2 inches thick. But then again winters suck around here...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old May 01, 2001, 12:16 AM
Find More Posts by nalondivad
Loundon, Va. USA
Joined Feb 2001
182 Posts
Foam types

Looking for some recomendations on what type of foam to use for my wing cores. At my local hardware store ( HomeDepot ) I can only find the 1lb variations at 1" thick. The "pink" foam, feels denser but I can get it in the thicknesses I want. Have not seen what is referred to as "blue foam". Any thoughts on how to select a good foam type to use? And common places to get it.

Thanks,
David
nalondivad is offline Find More Posts by nalondivad
Old May 01, 2001, 12:33 AM
Find More Posts by davidfee
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Hi David,
The foam you choose will depend on what you're building. The 1lb white foam is really too weak in compression to be used for anything like a pylon racer (which would have a thin, highly loaded wing), but it would be ok for a slowfly model, and perhaps for a thicker wing which would be sheeted with balsa. If your wing will be thin (less than 10% thick), highly loaded or skinned with fiberglass, then the denser foams will be better. Pink foam is generally the same as blue foam, except there are sometimes differences in density. What's the density of the pink stuff you found? What are you building? You're probably going to be fine with the pink foam, for most any project.

-David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old May 04, 2001, 11:23 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
1,247 Posts
The pink foam has good strength and is even better with a light skin. However, the foam is manufactured in a manner that that leaves stresses in it that can give it a twist. It may have to be cut flat on one face before accurate hot wire cutting is started.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old May 04, 2001, 11:28 PM
Find More Posts by MikeC
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jan 2001
843 Posts
I get my blue foam at an Insulation Supply Company. Look in the yellow pages. The pink is pretty much the same as the blue.

Mike
MikeC is offline Find More Posts by MikeC
Old May 05, 2001, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by Haldor
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
For a plane like you describe white foam will do nicely if you skin it with 1/32" balsa, both sides. Use a semi-symetrical airfoil and like 8-10% root thickness. Add 2% thickness to the tip cord as this will aid in stability (less prone to tipstall)

I use white foam frequently as thin as 6% with no problems so far.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old May 05, 2001, 11:15 PM
Find More Posts by GregG
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,463 Posts
Haldor, The white foam wings at 6% you're building, do they have spars in them? Are theses wings that you would use on a fan plane or fast hotliner? I'm wondering if they will stand up to a high G flight pattern without spars.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old May 05, 2001, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
I bought some blue foam wings from Bob at Flying Foam for a sport plane that I'm building. His prices were very reasonable and he was very helpful with all my questions and e-mails. If you just need the foam, he may be able to hook you up or tell you his source.
http://www.flyingfoam.com/
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old May 30, 2016, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by ARCross
Joined Sep 2015
19 Posts
For my rc and modeling friends, I have found a number of web sites, rc forums, and questionable videos, all pouting a description and info on different types of foam used in rc and related areas of the modeling industry. I do not myself have the experience or knowledge to expound answers myself. However. EUREKA!! I have found a website that has it all. What foams to use, how to identify them, where to use them best, how to finish them, what glues to use and not use for each, etc. I hope the site will put to rest any concerns. Keep building, flying, and have great fun doing it.
http://www.rcplanesguru.org/2015/10/...d-shaping.html
ARCross is offline Find More Posts by ARCross