Old May 15, 2016, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by Fsonicsmith
Joined Jun 2014
16 Posts
Discussion
Sig Seniorita help

The threads on this forum on the Sig Seniorita seem quite outdated. Any help on a motor, esc, battery, prop, and even choice of Spektrum receiver and servos would be most appreciated.
Fsonicsmith is offline Find More Posts by Fsonicsmith
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2016, 08:16 PM
Find More Posts by Low and Slow1
Joined Apr 2016
201 Posts
If memory serves me the seniorita was a .25 size plane. I recently found Heads Up Hobby. They have out runners listed by conversion or displacement. My current build was needing a .45 size 2smoke or equivalent power 4 stroke. They had good prices on ESC/and motor. It should be lighter after the conversion.
Low and Slow1 is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow1
Old May 15, 2016, 08:18 PM
Joined Apr 2016
201 Posts
Also on the spektrum receiver your plane is 3 channel if I remember. I have had no problems with there standard 4 channel one.
Old May 16, 2016, 07:03 AM
Find More Posts by Al M
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
2,135 Posts
350 watts at full throttle is just fine.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old May 16, 2016, 09:45 AM
Joined Jun 2014
16 Posts
Thanks all. I have sent Heads Up an email and will buy whatever they recommend from them.
Old May 16, 2016, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by Al M
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
2,135 Posts
I fly mine with the stick at about mid position most of the time with a 12-6 prop and four A123's. The motor is a discontinued Astro 05G brushless. It weighs 69 oz for about 80 watts/lb at full throttle. Made it a taildragger.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:09 AM
Find More Posts by David2011
United States, NM, Hobbs
Joined Oct 2011
380 Posts
Just about any standard or mini servo (not micro - gears are usually too fragile) will do just fine in your plane. In the late '70s people flew rear exhaust tuned pipe pattern planes powered by OPS and Rossi engines on 28-39 oz. in. servos. The Senorita doesn't need much servo torque. Just be sure to use quality linkage components to get precise control movements.

David
David2011 is offline Find More Posts by David2011
Old May 17, 2016, 06:51 AM
Find More Posts by Al M
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
2,135 Posts
I am using Hitec 225's.
Old May 17, 2016, 07:39 AM
Joined Jun 2014
16 Posts
Thanks everyone. I got hooked up with all I need by Jesse at Heads Up. I was very impressed by his knowledge and generosity of time. Great prices too. I said this in a lengthy question I put up in "Electric Flight" before being redirected to this forum-I built my Seniorita 25 years ago before my boys were born and am just now getting back into the hobby. Things seem to have both changed a lot and then again, some things have not. Foam, digital radios, electric motor advances, SAFE technology, cameras/virtual flight, and the predominance of ARF's and BNF's are new. I still haven't quite figured out what 3D is all about and don't care to know. I like old timer planes (light, stick built) and slow lazy flight.
Old May 17, 2016, 08:38 AM
Joined Apr 2016
201 Posts
Yep the prices at heads up are great. I received my order fast. I spent 91 smackers and got lots of stuff. My new motor and ESC some superman magnets and a bottle of medium CA.
Show some pics of your plane.
Old May 17, 2016, 07:48 PM
Find More Posts by Rampage
DFS#000178
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
6,496 Posts
I fly mine with an old Parkzone BL15 (the black plastic endbell version) swinging a 12x7 Zingler nitro woody prop on 3S 3300s. I use a generic no-name 40-amp ESC.

More than enough power and 15-20 minute flights.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old May 18, 2016, 02:08 PM
Joined Jun 2014
16 Posts
Rampage (or any others responding); I assume you would have made a hatch for the battery. The instructions say not to make a hatch as it will sacrifice fuselage strength but they were obviously anticipating a fuel tank and not a battery. Can you describe the hatch you made (top or bottom, how secured when flying)?
Old May 18, 2016, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by Rampage
DFS#000178
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
6,496 Posts
My Seniorita was the ARF and had a battery hatch on the bottom of the plane out of the box.

I'll get pictures of it tonight for you. It's basically just the spot where the fuel tank used to go. Removing some sheeting from the bottom of the fuselage (which is essentially what the 'hatch' is) isn't going to significantly effect the structural strength of the fuselage.
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Old May 23, 2016, 09:31 AM
Joined Jun 2014
16 Posts
Well, I went ahead and used a dremel with cutting tool to cut away the original built-up-balsa cowl and used the same tool to assist in cutting away the bottom sheeting from the bulkhead/firewall back to just aft of the landing gear. My next question goes to motor mounting. I assume that it is generally a good idea to have the propeller at about the same distance from the firewall as the original design. Do most of you do this or do you install your electric motor directly to the firewall and not worry about the original cowl and prop-to-firewall distance? I ask because the Emax BL2815/09 motor I will be mounting needs to be moved up about an inch and a half from the firewall to preserve the approximate original prop location. I did some searches here and elsewhere and see that there are some adjustable motor mount extensions available on the market but they look ugly and heavy. I am thinking of constructing my own of light ply and dowels with epoxy. Am I on the right track or is this unnecessary? I am not against fashioning a new cowl or doing without one altogether.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by fix-n-fly
fix-n-fly
Allen, TX
Joined Jun 2004
69 Posts
Himax rc motors has a circular mount you might be able to use.
fix-n-fly is offline Find More Posts by fix-n-fly