Old Mar 27, 2016, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,659 Posts
Discussion
Old Rookie sees new life

A long time fellow expert modeler, Joe Parone passed away last year. I was very upset over this because I knew Joe for almost 35 years. I was asked by his daughter to help clean up his shop, marking a bunch of stuff for sale. I was offered this great looking Rookie that Joe build many years ago. He decided to scratch the wings after the Sagitta however chose to use the S4061 airfoil instead of the E205.

I just finished getting the plane updated with my new Spektrum RX, remote RX and telemetry. Plenty of room in the fuse and really didn't affect the balance that much.

The fuse was painted with old Hobby Poxy and had yellowed over the years. I took some rubbing compound and was able to get a lot of the yellow out of the fuse.

There was a small hole in one of the wing panels which I was able to fix.

AUW is just over 58 oz which may be a bit on the heavy side for a Std class plane, but not horrible. The S4061 I'm sure will do well with that kind of wing loading. Joe also fully sheeted the inner panels which may contribute to its added weight. I'm sure it should do well on a winch.

As you can see my old friend Joe was a master builder as well as very clever. The spoilers are connected to a single pushrod that runs down the middle of the radio compartment. Each spoiler cable is attached to a coupler that slides along the pushrod, making adjustments a breeze. Very clever design.

I managed to finish the radio installation last evening, checked the balance which appears to be quite good.

Stay tuned for my maiden report after many years of being dormant.

I'll post lots of pictures.

Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2016, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by dwells
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,991 Posts
Hi Kurt,

It's been a while since I've been on, hope you've been well. A sad story but a beautiful plane and I'll bet Joe will be watching from above. The first I've seen of a spoiler setup like this....very cool.

Best,
Don
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Mar 28, 2016, 08:40 PM
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
Hi Kurt,

It's been a while since I've been on, hope you've been well. A sad story but a beautiful plane and I'll bet Joe will be watching from above. The first I've seen of a spoiler setup like this....very cool.

Best,
Don
Hey Don;
Glad to see you are still lurking about. Joe was a great friend of mine and I'm sure he'd be pleased to see this back in the air. He had a larger 1.5x Sagitta which he finished just like this one. His Son took that one. Now that was a nice plane. It was a 3m version of a Sagitta and it just flew great.

Hope to see you more often around these parts. All the best to you and yours.

Kurt
Old Apr 01, 2016, 11:25 PM
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,659 Posts
Spoiler setup

What I like about Joe was his use of the KISS principal. So simple.