Old Dec 06, 2015, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by Purduepete
United States, IN, Noblesville
Joined Dec 2015
42 Posts
Question
First UM

Been doing a lot of looking on here, but just registered. Question for the group:

Would you recommend a UMX J3 Cub or a Sport Cub S for my first purchase? Love the 3 modes for Super Cub, but the brushless motor of thr J3 is also attracrive.

No prior experience, so definitely want something I can be successful with and learn from.
Thanks for your input.
Pete
Purduepete is offline Find More Posts by Purduepete
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2015, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by Khaul
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2013
113 Posts
Go for the Sport Cub S, it's excellent for learning. You can move on to semi-scale planes when you have mastered 4-channel flying without SAFE in the SCS.

Welcome to the hobby!
Khaul is offline Find More Posts by Khaul
Old Dec 07, 2015, 03:30 AM
Find More Posts by ChickenDrumstick
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
412 Posts
If you can't fly already, then tbh I think something like the Champ is still worthwhile.

I don't dislike the SAFE equipped planes, but do feel they teach you to rely on the electronics and don't really teach you how to fly. Likewise with AS3X. I think it is brilliant, but something without it is probably a better learning platform.

The Champ will still be fun to fly, even once you've moved on to higher abilities.

This is mine:
Hobby zone Champ with Sx motor (7 min 47 sec)
ChickenDrumstick is offline Find More Posts by ChickenDrumstick
Old Dec 07, 2015, 05:46 AM
Joined Dec 2015
42 Posts
Thanks guys. Also found the Ares Decathelon 350. It seems like it has more "upside" for growth, brushless motor, something similar to SAFE MODE, etc. But is it too much plane to start with?
Old Dec 07, 2015, 06:22 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purduepete View Post
Thanks guys. Also found the Ares Decathelon 350. It seems like it has more "upside" for growth, brushless motor, something similar to SAFE MODE, etc. But is it too much plane to start with?
There really is no wrong or right answer to this. Lots of people have started from different places and planes and done just fine.

The biggest things to consider are, can you already fly? Will you be having tuition or self teaching?

And arguably how good is your hand eye co-ordination. If you've used model RC cars/buggies and have no problem, then flying, while different is just a progression of what you can already do.

For me, I want something that is easy to fly, but something that still needs you to fly it. That way you learn from your mistakes.

I wouldn't worry too much about growth, as tbh, you'll want to buy more planes anyhow. So that will give you the opportunity to try different things. You really don't need a single plane to do everything from the very beginning.

A 3 channel trainer will get you used to the act of physically flying a plane and making it go in the directions you want. Master this, then get yourself a 4ch channel.

I like the Champ, because it's very cheap, will survive a lot of knocks and crashes, very easy to repair.

It also flies lovely on a calm day and capable when less calm. But apart from it's self righting tendency due to it's wing design, it has no aids. So you have to learn how to fly it. If you make a mistake it is obvious, although generally easy to recovery.

With anything like SAFE, if you make a mistake, the electronics hide the fact it's happened. So you might not even know you made a mistake.

I think SAFE (and similar systems) should be used for people who can already fly, as it will allow them to exploit models in a safer way, but deliberately. It shouldn't be for learning how to fly.
Old Dec 07, 2015, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by Vince Herman
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purduepete View Post
No prior experience
This being the case, your focus should be on learning. The Champ will do more for you there.

After you have gained the skills that you can from that, THEN consider what your next purchase should be.
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Dec 07, 2015, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by mawz
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2015
729 Posts
I'd also agree that the Champ is a good starting point. My alternate suggestion would be the UMX Radian. It's got pretty much all the same advantages as the Champ (easy to fly 3ch, self-righting but no real extra help) but has a couple additional advantages. It's got a lot more upside once you are ready to move on to more advanced aircraft since you have the opportunity to master gliding as well, and it's easier to land in grass (and more readily hand-caught).

It does have AS3X, but it's not very aggressive and will only damp turbulence, not save you from your mistakes.

Either option is a good option.

Also if you do buy the Champ, buy a full-range radio to go with it. the included transmitter is a toy and it's easy to fly out of range with it. DX5e's are going cheap these days and used you can get a DX4e, DX5e or DX6i pretty cheaply.
mawz is offline Find More Posts by mawz
Old Dec 07, 2015, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Joined Apr 2005
600 Posts
I've been flying micros from the beginning (The Cessna 210)I think the Sport Cub s would be a great plane. It will get you in the air and let you learn things that 3ch planes will not. Both planes are good,both are worth the money,both have very good support. You can't go wrong with either but I wish I could have started out with the sport Cub s. Just keep them close with the RTF radio. Use a big open area for your first flights. Don't fly in the wind until you know how your plane flys and you should be fine.
Bradley Crandall is offline Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Old Dec 07, 2015, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Muscles
Joined Aug 2015
331 Posts
I would just go with the champ. Low initial investment and you can be flying in no time!
Captain Muscles is offline Find More Posts by Captain Muscles
Old Dec 07, 2015, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by microheli
Joined Jul 2006
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDrumstick View Post

With anything like SAFE, if you make a mistake, the electronics hide the fact it's happened. So you might not even know you made a mistake.

I think SAFE (and similar systems) should be used for people who can already fly, as it will allow them to exploit models in a safer way, but deliberately. It shouldn't be for learning how to fly.
People who can fly need no SAFE.
SAFE is perfect for people who will learn to fly. SAFE have different mode and must not hide pilot errors. SAFE avoid only the crash in the ground after the mistake and there is no reason for crashing planes in the ground.
You are right flying only in beginner mode make no sense for learning but flying in advanced mode and recover the plane only before crashing is perfect for learning.
There are also no reason for 3 ch planes for learning to fly. The only reason for 3 ch planes in the past was avoid the beginner for crashing planes to much because 3 ch planes with dihedral are stable and self leveling. But this can make the Panic Button from the SAFE System and it is much better from the beginning learn to fly a nonstable 4ch plane with ailerons.
After that flying any type of plane is no more a problem and there is no needing for relearning 4ch after 3ch.
The Sport Cub S is perfect for this because she can fly also all basic airobatics like rolls, loops, inverted, knife edge etc. which every pilot should learn too.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Dec 07, 2015, 09:08 PM
Joined Dec 2015
42 Posts
Thanks for all the great feedback! I know there's no single right answer. I like the idea of 4 channel, and I think I can use SAFE to help me take off and land until I get more experience, plus will help in wind.
Will hopefully buy later this week and will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again,
Pete
Old Dec 08, 2015, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Joined Apr 2005
600 Posts
What ever plane you get find somewhere like a football or soccer field and keep it close. For the first few flights. I would not go past 150 feet with the RTF radio although some say 300 feet. Don't try anything fancy,just take offs turning and landing until you get a feeling for the plane.Don't fly in the wind until you get to know your plane , the wind will push the plane in ways the beginner will not understand.I'm not saying don't fly in the wind just not in the beginning. Stay far far away from trees ( Until you learn control) trees. like to jump out and grab your planes. This last part is no joke. In the beginning you will follow your plane (We all do)when you can lead your plane then it's time to try stunts.
Bradley Crandall is offline Find More Posts by Bradley Crandall
Old Dec 09, 2015, 02:26 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2013
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
People who can fly need no SAFE.
I think it has it's purposes. Just like advanced traction systems on cars serve a purpose.

The panic button is most useful, even for experienced pilots. And the ability to tame a wayward model has lots of benefits, no matter how long you've been flying.

Quote:
SAFE is perfect for people who will learn to fly. SAFE have different mode and must not hide pilot errors.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree here.

But for example, if you had say an SCS and a Carbon Cub. You 'think' you've mastered the SCS because you can do all sorts and it never crashes.

You chuck the CC up in the air, use the same control inputs and watch it tumble to the ground.

What SAFE does is prevent certain things and auto correct others. A pilot can be completely unaware if they are self teaching or flying solo, that they are even doing anything wrong. Because SAFE is allowing the plane to remain airborne and flying.

Even allowing for the different modes SAFE offers.

I have seen more than one thread on here where a new pilot has claimed to have mastered their Delta Ray, but is actually posting because they keep crashing their new plane (often a T-28 of some kind).

Quote:

SAFE avoid only the crash in the ground after the mistake and there is no reason for crashing planes in the ground.
Wrecking a plane is always a bad thing and something I would never promote.

However in this day and age there really is no sane reason to use a large heavy plane as an initial trainer. So the crash damage and repair costs to a UM are very low.

And sometimes, part of learning is seeing your mistakes and not doing them again, rather than having them covered up without you even knowing it really was a mistake.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by mawz
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2015
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenDrumstick View Post
I think it has it's purposes. Just like advanced traction systems on cars serve a purpose.

The panic button is most useful, even for experienced pilots. And the ability to tame a wayward model has lots of benefits, no matter how long you've been flying.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree here.

But for example, if you had say an SCS and a Carbon Cub. You 'think' you've mastered the SCS because you can do all sorts and it never crashes.

You chuck the CC up in the air, use the same control inputs and watch it tumble to the ground.

What SAFE does is prevent certain things and auto correct others. A pilot can be completely unaware if they are self teaching or flying solo, that they are even doing anything wrong. Because SAFE is allowing the plane to remain airborne and flying.

Even allowing for the different modes SAFE offers.
The only differences between the SCS in Advanced mode and the CC are the inherent differences in the airframes and the panic button (which self-levels).

Safe only limits in Panic, Beginner and Intermediate modes, Advanced is AS3X only.

If you have mastered the SCS in Advanced Mode, you are ready to move up. Maybe not yet to the CC, which is a decidedly hotter aircraft and somewhat deceptive as it looks milder than it is, but to a less docile 1s bird like a PT-17 for sure.
mawz is offline Find More Posts by mawz
Old Dec 11, 2015, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by brokendiff
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Mar 2015
662 Posts
Get the scs and fly with the stock motor and when the stock motor goes south get the Micro Motor Warehouse replacement with good quality low sag batteries such as the 240mah miniaviation 1s batts . The scs is a wonderful teacher if you have no help or with help. When you advance through the modes(begineer, intermed, and advanced) and are competent in advanced you will be extremely happy with your purchase, your 4 channel skills, and ready for another plane say a 2s bird and still have the extremely fun scs to poke around with. Keep it for others to learn on. (you will keep flying it however) It is a wonderful bird. It is my opinion that it out classes the Champ in every way (no can of worms here please!). I went straight to micro 2s warbirds without safe or as3x from mine. I really enjoy my SCS. It has also taught me to like Cub planes in general too.
brokendiff is offline Find More Posts by brokendiff