SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2015, 09:00 PM
Joined Aug 2014
334 Posts
Question
best foam for cutting and best way to wire cut wings

I just gave a go at cutting my first pieces of foam with a home made foam cutter and that fancy foam cutter wire. one thing I noticed is you cant go to hot and you have to move steady and even.
I found a sheet of foam in an alley left for garbage and it turns out its very sandable . it sands to a smooth finish I wanted to make 20 " wing extentions for my radian so I was going to glue two layers together so I can cut a half round groove in each layer for a carbon fiber tube, I also bought a pack of foam sheets from home defect and the foam density does not seem appropriate for the job, Its to flexible. so I thought this looked like a good section of the forum to ask for help. when I cut these wings I would like to wind up with smooth surfaces and no need for sanding bit if need be I can cut my airfoil slightly thicker to alow for material to sand.
Any info on whrer to get good quality foam would be great .
thanks
flying ferret is offline Find More Posts by flying ferret
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 03:54 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,928 Posts
It would help if you said where you are. I know where I get foam but unless you live near me that's not likely to help.

BTW I've never managed to cut foam wings that didn't need at least a little sanding to get rid of bumps and whiskers.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick