HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2015, 03:16 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,826 Posts
The cutters I use are from 1mm to 13mm. Mostly 4 to 8mm. The ER20 collets only take max 13mm.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Many ideas. I'm going to try a different toolpath - next time I will not just profile on a single line around the border - I'll do another border offset by say 2mm more than the 8mm cutter diameter, and get it to pocket the slot between the border and the offset. That way it will cut a wider slot between each step down - hopefully this will allow the chips to be vacuumed out and minimize the heating.

I may fit an air jet too at some stage.

Justin and Enzo at Vermec gave me another water nipple to replace the one I broke, so I'm right to get the water cooling set up now.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2015, 05:55 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,941 Posts
Excellent, keep us updated. I'm curious to hear how it all works out.

What might be interesting, I don't know if they have made it over there yet, but FLIR and Seek are both making IR cameras for smartphones now. If you can find/borrow one, it might be interesting to monitor your tooling with it during a cut.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Jan 07, 2015, 01:05 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Not bad! New stab and fin moulds for the Curvy Scratcho, which I cut out on the CNC in the last 2 days. Huge thanks to Geoff Sokoll for drawing up the parts so beautifully for me.

The cutting all went really well, marred by one mysterious stop half way thru a fin cut, but otherwise all good. Iím still having to work thru the odd problem, but definitely getting the hang of things and getting better more consistent results.

The material this time is (I believe) Samsung Staron, which is a slightly less rigid, more plasticky sort of benchtop material compared to Corian or Freestyle. I bonded 12mm sheets of it to 25mm MDF to provide some backing. It cuts really nicely, with less dust.

The finish on the moulds is (seriously, no crap) awesome. The photos look like there are ridges on the surface, but thatís just tool markings Ö they are absolutely smooth.

Looking forward to polishing up these new moulds and making the first curvy fin and stab, for the first Curvy Scratcho!
Don't back the countertop like materials with MDF. The expansion rates due to humidity are vastly different between the two materials and the molds WILL warp. Don't ask me how I know.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jan 07, 2015, 01:11 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
The cutters I use are from 1mm to 13mm. Mostly 4 to 8mm. The ER20 collets only take max 13mm.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Many ideas. I'm going to try a different toolpath - next time I will not just profile on a single line around the border - I'll do another border offset by say 2mm more than the 8mm cutter diameter, and get it to pocket the slot between the border and the offset. That way it will cut a wider slot between each step down - hopefully this will allow the chips to be vacuumed out and minimize the heating.

I may fit an air jet too at some stage.

Justin and Enzo at Vermec gave me another water nipple to replace the one I broke, so I'm right to get the water cooling set up now.
Interesting problem, one I've thought about for doing deeper cuts (say for a fuselage mold), but haven't had to deal with in practice. I run a 1/4" 2 or 4 flute end mill with 1" cut length down 3/4" in MDF (trivial material to cut really) at 1/8" step down passes. When doing so in Corian, I usually take 1/16" passes. I run vacuum which really helps with the chip evacuation out of the channels. Honestly I don't think rubbing is going to be a big deal, but opening up the slot so you are only rubbing 1 side wall when cutting through a deeper mold would probably be prudent to avoid melting the material.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:46 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,826 Posts
Just a minor update showing my newest improvement to the CNC machine. One friend gave me an old POS screen swivel mount, another friend helped me with welding, so I now have an excellently positioned screen and keyboard shelf. Both can be swivelled around the post and the whole thing can be slid in and out on a rail. I also made a shelf to hold the computer box up off the floor (it's hidden under the gauze which is used for dustproofing). The new screen and keyboard position are big improvements because 1) they're at a nice height, so I don't have to bend down double to use the keyboard and 2) it frees up huge amounts of floorspace that was taken up by the table.

You can also see the tubing in place for the water supply. It's routed right through the cabling system of the machine which is tidy, but it's a lot of length causing a lot of drag in the narrow tube. I have a cheap 1000L/hr pond pump which I thought would be overkill, but I think they're more for high volume/ low pressure because it only pumps a very slow stream of water. Not sure if it will be enough to keep the spindle cool.

I know the water on the floor doesn't look good - we're having lots of rain and my shed doors don't keep the water out very well.

BTW following on from the previous discussion, can anyone recommend a place to buy centre cutting flat end mills eg 6 and 8mm which have cutting lengths (flute lengths) of more than 25mm?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 02:07 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,941 Posts
Main index for reference is HERE.

6mm x 38mm, uncoated, $30.00

6mm x 38mm, TiAlN coated, $36.15

8mm x 40mm, uncoated, $39.14

8mm x 40mm, TiAlN coated, $49.58
Old Jan 23, 2015, 07:52 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,826 Posts
That's excellent, thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 03:55 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,826 Posts
Unfortunately McMaster Carr replied to my order enquiry that they don't deal outside the US. Bummer. They have a great range, though not cheap.

Anyone else know of suppliers for longer cutters with longer flute lengths???
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:52 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,829 Posts
Bull to that. We order half our stuff from McMaster here at work
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:53 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,829 Posts
Just get them sent to someone in the US and get them to send them on to you. I am sure a US resident here wouldn't mind?
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:04 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,826 Posts
Oh yes I think if you're big and have an account it's a different story. By the way, it's worth having a browse thru their product list ... for example their list of adhesives is just massive. Everything from CA to locktites to 3M sprays. They reckon they have half a million products listed!!
Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,941 Posts
I love McMaster .

I echo Alex's comment, you won't have to ask too hard, I'm sure someone here wouldn't mind shipping you an order.

You can also try MSC, and Grainger.

Annnddd there is always Amazon....

They also have a section called Amazon Supply. Doesn't appear to be any different from 'normal' amazon, but ya never know.
Old Today, 02:25 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,826 Posts
I got a reasonable stock of the good Laminex Freestyle 30mm thick material for CNC cutting moulds today ... plenty here for a few projects. Certainly more than I can fit in my shed - it's outside! It wasn't a giveaway - this stuff costs a fortune and I had to shell out a chunk of bucks, but it was very good value. Getting more as well soon, but probably mostly the 12mm stuff.

Laminex Freestyle (0 min 30 sec)
Old Today, 03:47 AM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,674 Posts
That's great Andrew when can we all get a set of new sexy scratcho moulds
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Today, 05:09 AM