HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2014, 05:56 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
201 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Hi Bruce the part I have been working on is R5 and R6 rib extensions . I have continued with these and the photos show the progress better than I can write.

I have spent a large amount of time measuring as BT draawings has a lot of hidden got-cha's in it. So I have assembled with screws (to ensure it fits and I can check measurements) looking OK. Will glue later and add the birch inner covering - as per the design.

All the best for the New Year to all reader of this blog Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
Last edited by Roddie; Dec 27, 2014 at 06:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2014, 06:50 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
201 Posts
Mossie Wing rebuild

Hi all, hope you all have got over the Christmas meals and all those drinks. Hard to say NO. Me I try to stick with orange juice, when I can.
Well I have completed the birch liner, photos show progress.
I will continue with the second wing. Once I have the second one intalled, I can check that they both are parallel with the main spar and each other.
Finally I must now buy two engines so I can measure that the prop and spinner locates Ok with the Fibre Glass Nacelle, before finally glueing the lot together.

Well Best for the New Eve's party, Rod
Old Jan 04, 2015, 12:41 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
201 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Hi Guys, Continued steady progress with the Rib 5-6 extensions and reached a point where I need my engines to continue (Christmas Present), before finally gluing. So I have now dismantled them after a lot of careful measurement checking the front face is parallel to the main spar and agrees with the design. Also measured between them (top to bottom) to ensure they are both at the correct angle.

Have continued with the aileron build. With the first attempt I had problems locating the plastic hinges and the aileron snapped in half. So back to the drawing board. Now trying something different and the photos show the progress.

All best Rod
Old Jan 05, 2015, 09:21 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,701 Posts
THIS IS DIFFERENT..... FOLLOWING ALONG

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Jan 07, 2015, 04:34 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
201 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Hi Bruce, yep trying something different this time as the aileron build last time looked OK till I came to adding on the servo connection. Then it literary tore the horn off and wrecked the aileron. Even with the small plastic hinges, it was too fragile. When I tried to fi it it broke in half !!!!!
So this time I removed the hinge bolt (from the plastic hinge and added a longer one. So I could used it not only for the hinge but to locate the line of the hinge and keep it just below the lower skin. A basic requirement of the Mossie aileron. So that when the aileron is raised the bottom leading edge drops below the wing skin, creating a drag.
When I glued it it is about 35 deg. C (The epoxy resin is a bit runny) Scared my self silly as we went out and when we came home I tried the aileron just to check it still worked BUT IT WOULD NOT MOVE. I had put vasaline around the important bits but it was stuck !!!!!!!!!. That runny epoxy. I tried but it looked like the plastic was bending not the hinge.

This morning I tried again and it woked ok phew. Last three photos were this morning

The photos show the progress.

All best Rod
Old Jan 11, 2015, 05:02 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,701 Posts
looking good Roddie ..I guess you'll have this baby finished before I'm back in action?

Everything is a go for the shoulder operation on Tue the 13th.

Bruce
Old Jan 11, 2015, 08:37 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
201 Posts
Bruce catch up with you on the flip side, you might not feel like typing for a while but when you are ready I value your input.
I will try to keep the wheels slowly turning, and with a bit of luck finish the wings undercarriage and motors, and that cowling (removable rear).

All the best, your Aussie mate Rod
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:22 AM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
All the best Bruce, hope everything goes well for you :-)
grahamj4 is offline Find More Posts by grahamj4
Last edited by grahamj4; Jan 12, 2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 01:06 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,701 Posts
Thank you Graham.

Bruce
Old Jan 16, 2015, 02:00 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
201 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Bruce so glad that all went well for you, really great news. Take care and don't over do it.

Well I have continued with the rebuild, and went to the local model shop and the guys were pleased with what I had achieved. The only down side was they pointed out that the flap servos were opposite throws to each other. So when the flaps were operated, they would go in opposite directions (if they could, can't go up). All ok with the aileron's as they must go in opposite directions.
I fixed the flaps, photos show progress.

All best Rod