HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:34 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2014
5 Posts
Help!
Issue calibrating radio with Pixhawk

Howdy all

I'm having a problem I'm really hoping someone here can help me with. I recently finished assembling my first quad copter. All of the equipment is from 3d robotics. I'm using a Pixhawk autopilot with Mission Planner.

Assembly went fine as far as I can tell. Compass and accelerometer calibration went just fine too. The issue I'm having is with calibrating the radio. Inputs into the transmitter don't show up in Mission Planner's radio calibration. It's like it's dead.

I'm using a Spektrum DX6i along with an AR600 that came with the radio. I'm connecting the AR600 receiver to Pixhawk via the 3wire servo cable that came with Pixhawk. I've tested that cable for continuity and it appears to be fine.

Help??
Great Crouton is offline Find More Posts by Great Crouton
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:37 PM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,833 Posts
You need to use a Spektrum satellite receiver, not the main receiver.

First, bind a Spektrum receiver with satellite to your DX6i, then disconnect the satellite from the receiver and plug it into the Pixhawk. You don't use the main part of the receiver.

Welcome to RC Groups!
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:43 PM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,833 Posts
Here is an example.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Aug 11, 2014, 03:20 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2014
5 Posts
Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for the reply! And thank you, nice to be here!

I was under the impression that the receiver that came with the radio was all I needed to get flying, clearly I was wrong about that. Is the main receiver's only function to aid in binding the satellite receiver? It appears to have numerous inputs for flaps etc....

Also, I thought I had read somewhere that the range of the satellite receivers was not as good as the main ones, any truth to that? Still learning this whole RC thing
Old Aug 11, 2014, 04:38 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2012
16 Posts
Regular pwm receivers like the AR600 cannot be directly connected to the pixhawk. You need a PWM-to-PPM encoder to connect the AR600 to the pixhawk.
See here: http://3drobotics.com/learn/receiver-to-pixhawk/

Or you can use the spektrum satellite receiver and connect that directly to the pixhawk.

Yeah, the satellites output in ppm, but the main receiver (AR 600) is PWM output only. Strange, but true. And depending on your application, the range using the satellite may not be as good as with the main rx.
vijay24 is offline Find More Posts by vijay24
Old Aug 11, 2014, 05:58 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Aug 2014
5 Posts
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I've been searching for days now as to what the proper solution is. It's nice to finally get a clear answer.

REALLY disappointed it will take a few more days to get my quad flying but at least I know now what the issue was.

Thanks again, I wish I had found this forum a week ago.