SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2013, 02:01 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
155 Posts
Discussion
American RC Helicopters Jetranger

Has anyone had any experience with the American RC Helicopters Jetranger (ex Kavan)?
Or more to the point the CCPM upgrade that they use.
I am extremely interested to hear of anyones thoughts/experiences with this.
I currently have two unbuilt Kavan Jetranger kits that I want to convert to CCPM and flybarless. As easy as it would be to buy the complete kit from American RC with all the mods already done it is just too cost prohibitive to have one sent here to Australia, hence the desire to convert my existing kits.
With regards to the FBL head, is it a specific head that is needed or can the older style head be modified (remove the flybar components) and utilise that with the current FBL electronics that are available?
crowe04 is offline Find More Posts by crowe04
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2013, 10:26 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
Sorry crowe.......don't know much about them. I'm sure someone on this forum can help
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Apr 04, 2013, 10:43 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,423 Posts
On another forum, HF for short, there is a specific forum for the older kits and yours falls into this. Another forum scalerchelis.com, has scale guys from all over the world that frequent it and may have information that could help you out. It may be a lot easier than you think. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Feb 01, 2014, 10:56 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
155 Posts
Well after an extensive building period and lots of emails back and forward to American RC Helicopters (many thanks to Tom and Doug for their assistance) I have finally finished the construction/conversion of my old Kavan Jetranger. I am yet to do the set-up of the radio gear but it is as good as there! Lots of mods made during construction to make it more scale like, its not perfect but I'm more than happy with the result. Will it fly is the next question?
Last edited by crowe04; Feb 01, 2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2014, 11:59 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,423 Posts
It looks really nice. Is it nitro or did you convert it to electric? The landing gear looks very much like the short gear with the farings on them. Good luck with the maiden.

Don
Old Feb 01, 2014, 01:20 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Is it nitro or did you convert it to electric?
I am not sure, but I believe I see the tell-tale triple leads of a brushless ESC....

And you are right, it looks nice, I would even say, more than nice.... its a beaut!

And Crowe, they flew over 40 years ago, so why wouldn't they fly now?

Brgds, Bert
Brutus1967 is offline Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Feb 01, 2014, 04:12 PM
Lets get the HUEY up
bolton england
Joined Jan 2009
235 Posts
Looks great Crowe ,very nice classic model and well finnished ,
For me the Kavan Jet ranger is one of the all time greats in r/c helicopters and with modern electrics it should fly even better than they did 40 years ago

phil
madphil is offline Find More Posts by madphil
Old Feb 01, 2014, 09:25 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
155 Posts
Yes, I think it is one of the all time greats as well. I still think it has the most scale appearance of all the Jetranger models I've seen (even with some minor design flaws/variations in the original kit production).
I have used the American R/C Helicopter electric conversion kit and have installed their recommended AXI 4130-16 motor using a Castle Creations Phoenix Ice HV80 ESC.
I replaced the landing gear with my own homemade legs but still using the kit supplied skids cut down to scale length. I much prefer the look of the "low skids" on the Jetranger.
Engine cowl vent screens were cut out and wire mesh installed along with various scale details from Vario to finish it off.
I wanted to do a full interior but with the limited space available which will be taken up with the ESC and Lipo I'm going to have to settle for just having an instrument panel. I will try and squeeze in a pilot though as it would just not be right to see it flying without one.
Old Feb 01, 2014, 10:25 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,423 Posts
Thanks for that info. I am about to start my second Jet Ranger body and this time around, I will be adding a bit of upper intake detail as well as the oval openings on the top of the doghouse. I really and truly prefer the short skid look and as such, this second one is going to be based on a Canadian military Ranger, not the OH-58A, that still uses the short skids but no farings. I had JestRR make me two different sets of gear and my second Ranger build should start in a few weeks. It is my go-to helicopter for a fun flight and with the water bucket, I have turned it into a real crowd pleaser at the float fly-ins I go to. I custom Bambi water tank is being designed and built for me by the manufacturer of my bucket, Tyler Gray Models. It is being designed to hold 5 gallons of water so it will not be a large target for my Bambi Bucket, lol. I'll post the build pictures as I get it restarted.

Yours looks really nice and the instrument panel does set the interior off, even without seats or the pilot. Yours is a bit larger and as such, you have a bit more room up front to put in a set of seats. Have you worked out the exact scale yet? I know that if it is 1/7th, there are some action figures that are available in Toys R Us that can fit in perfectly but they only have military outfits. I guess they could be dyed to match a non-descript outfit, if push came to shove. If it is just under, at, or just over 1/6th, you are golden and the world of action figures is open to you. A pilot in a dress shirt, pants, and a baseball cap would look right at home in there and that is entirely possible with action figures and collectables. The head looks fantastic and very, very scale indeed. I almost had a taller main shaft but the fellow that made a couple up for one fellow said that he couldn't be bothered making up any more. I might do the same thing and ask a friend of mine to turn me a couple of shafts so that my rotor would be the same height relationship as yours is. Thanks for posting pictures of the finished model as it makes me want to get at mine now. Take care.

Don
Old Feb 01, 2014, 11:01 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
155 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Don, much appreciated.
I didn't want the longer main shaft but had no choice for my situation. Due to the scale low skids it necessitated having to mount the aft legs inside the fuselage which in turn reduced the amount of clearance for the clutch assy. As such I ended up having to raise the entire engine/transmission assy by about 1/2' (13mm) to clear the aft landing gear leg thus giving a taller rotor shaft. I don't have own or have access to lathe otherwise I would have reduced the length of the rotor shaft to compensate. The attached photo shows the how much I had to raise the transmission assy.
The scale is 1:6.4 so I might have to do some searching in the toy shops for a pilot, thanks for the info.
Your Jetranger sounds great, should be brilliant with an operable bucket, looking forward to seeing some photos.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 08:21 PM
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
That's some beautiful work on your Jet Ranger! I've just started an ARCH Jet Ranger, and haven't really decided how much "scale" work to do on it, but I really like the cowl and intake work you've done.
Can you share a bit more about how you marked and cut them?
Thanks,
Dan
cassarole is offline Find More Posts by cassarole
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:51 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
155 Posts
Hi Dan, thanks for the comments, it is much appreciated.
How did I go about it?
Lots of research for starters. I got a heap of photos from the net which provided a huge amount of detail reference. I had also collected over the years a few Jetranger brochures from Bell and pilot reports from various magazines which gave a lot of photo detail as well. It was from these that I scaled some profile pictures of the engine cowling vents and pretty much just transferred those directly to the model. I used a dremel with a fine "dentist's reamer bit" to cut all the vent holes then carefully sanded them all to match the pre-drawn outlines. The screening is the wire mesh from a fry pan anti-splatter screen found in those cheap homeware stores (I think I paid about $1.00 for mine and there is enough mesh on it to do at least two models). I used this as it is a much tighter weave than the fly screen mesh you would find in a hardware store. The mesh was cut about 10mm larger than the vent holes and epoxied in place.
The engine inlets were cut open at the front and wedged apart slightly (you will have to make some longitudinal cuts at the top and bottom of the inlet holes to allow for the wedge to be put in) I used a piece of scrap balsa as the wedge at the top and bottom of the inlet holes to get the correct size opening. This was then filled and sanded to get the correct shape. The inlet "splitters" are just scrap balsa glued in place.
The exhaust stacks are the kit supplied ones but painted with a buffable metallic paint (as used for plastic models) to simulate burnt metal. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 06:44 AM
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
That's fantastic! Thanks very very much for the detailed explanation and photographs. I found some fine (.032") perforated metal screen online at McMaster.com, but I think I'll steal your spatter screen idea.
Dan
Old Mar 05, 2014, 05:39 PM
Joined Feb 2014
3 Posts
Templates

Crowe04 was kind enough to send me the templates he used to cut the additional cowling openings on my Jet Ranger. I've scaled them to fit 8.5x11 paper when printed at 300dpi.
These saved me quite a bit of research and experimenting to get them right. With his permission, I'm posting them here in case other Kavan or ARCH Jet Ranger heli builders want to add this bit of scale detail to their models.