SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:46 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,211 Posts
Let me understand this.....you got a bunch of guys that want to do COMBAT, but don't want to build?
You do know you WILL spend substantial time RE-building them? The cheaper, the more often.
The only way around that is build one of the formidable EPP Deltas yourself. You'll still break them but less often and at least you'll know how to fix them.

Even so last time I was out I watched a dollar tree scratch build cut an EPP wing in half. Even those aren't invincible, they just break......less.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:34 AM
United States, IN, Milan
Joined Feb 2009
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
Ok assume the budget is 65.00, what are the options?
At that price point in a RTF config, you are looking at a HobbyKing Ember knock-off or aerobatic Micro flyer. Or the Cox style knock off Sky eagle. None of which will be decent in combat

If you are willing to go with a PNF config, you could be looking at a Wing Wing, or similar flying wing.
JIMBOJONES is offline Find More Posts by JIMBOJONES
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:31 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
Lightweight Stryker? Blue wonder motor, 10A ESC, 450mAh 2/3-cell Lipos?
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:48 AM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
These are super easy/fast to build and repair.
http://shop.flitetest.com/airplane-k...eed-build-kit/
If you buy some cheap HK electronics, you can have your planes at $30 a pop and should take less than half an hour to put the foam together.

Here are some other options.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html
I think this will be a perfect candidate. I have one, it flies well and fast and is easy to repair.
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Last edited by Koo; Feb 21, 2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joined Jan 2007
5,211 Posts
IMO anything that is tractor driven is putting a buzz saw in the business end of combat. This is fine if the intent is maximum destruction, not just a hit. We use fairly protected mid-engine planes and still get a fair amount of prop damage.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:24 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
That's one reason I've always thought light Strykers would make good combat planes.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
That's one reason I've always thought light Strykers would make good combat planes.
They could but the biggest threat is not being hit.....it's hitting the ground afterward. Really, in combat, in terms of damage anyway, the ground is the real enemy. The Stryker has a long exposed nose. Seems you ALWAYS hit the ground nose first.
Now, I never did combat with my Stryker but the nose was the most vulnerable spot and seem to take the brunt of my flying accidents.

Delta type wings being a lot more stubby have a more robust and easily reinforced nose.

Something like the Superfly IMO would be a good candidate.
Maybe this would tempt the OP.
SuperFly RTF Services
Don't have time to build? Let us do it for you!

FWIW this is what we settled on after a number of other trials. We made them out of FFF and amazingly got a year out of them with a fair amount of repair.
Last edited by flydiver; Feb 22, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:45 PM
Koo
A semi-advanced FPV newbie
United States, OH, Oxford
Joined Mar 2012
1,147 Posts
Just get a PNP radjet. They cost $50 each and are a ton of fun to fly
Koo is offline Find More Posts by Koo
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:34 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
They could but the biggest threat is not being hit.....it's hitting the ground afterward. Really, in combat, in terms of damage anyway, the ground is the real enemy. The Stryker has a long exposed nose. Seems you ALWAYS hit the ground nose first.
True enough but when you pare them down to 11oz or so, they don't have enough mass to break the nose most of the time. If they do, you can glue/tape it back on or just chop it off and sand things to a point further back.

But enough hi-jacking...
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:50 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,925 Posts
We are using fan fold insulation for our planes. It costs about $1.50 to build a plane. LE of the wing is 1/4 dowel and all is hot glued together. 150watt motors on 1300 MAh 3S batteries. Most guys are running HS55 servos. I think about $60 or so will put a plane in the air. It takes about 30 minutes to build a plane.

Photos in this thread. Far right top row of photos are the planes in question.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1860592

Build instructions here. http://combat.eavesonline.com/fan-fo...t/construction
I'm not part of this particular club but will be flying against them soon.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old May 07, 2013, 07:52 AM
Joined Apr 2013
52 Posts
May I suggest:
Bonsai - 21$
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_ARF_.html

With battery, esc, motor and servo - +28$

49$ total, right under your initial budget, not rtf but It's as close as you can get... even more rtf or durable and forget the 50$ budget.
Catware is offline Find More Posts by Catware
Old May 07, 2013, 08:32 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,685 Posts
We use the 35" Popwings fron Nitroplanes. If you catch 'em on sale, you can get the ARF version (airframe, motor, ESC, servos, prop) for $65. Drop in a 3s 1300 mAh battery and receiver, and go fly. Not necessarily good for indoors but we're having a hoot with them. When we collide they come apart in large chunks. As long as most of the chunks are found, they go back together quickly.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member