SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:24 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Help!
Resins

I have been a big fan of Resin Research and do still love their resin but their shipping speed is a little spotty. It seems like every time I make an error and get in a bind they sit on my order for a couple of days. That is not a great situation when operating on a shoe string budget.

I would like to find an East Coast supplier and a resin as good as Resin Research without having to sell one of kidneys. I know MGS is really good but are there others where I don't have to pay $25 for a box to ship it in?

Paul

PS, Does anyone have any experience with Poly Epoxy or Aero Epoxy?
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Last edited by The_Builder; Oct 26, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:05 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,481 Posts
What about US Composites?
http://uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1135513

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Paul, you should give Adtech 820 a try. They often ship the day I order it. Just call and order a quart for testing. It's a little be more expensive than Resin Research, wets out better, and has a higher HDT potential.

http://www.adtechplastics.com/pc-64-...ng-system.aspx

Tech Sheet: http://www.adtechplastics.com/ADTECH...ies%20Tech.pdf
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Curtis be careful with US Composites, it will eat foam. I only use it for molds.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:07 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder View Post
Curtis be careful with US Composites, it will eat foam. I only use it for molds.
Huh? How so? You mean that it cannot be used for wings? Interesting. I guess I just wasted my money. Bummer. Thanks for the heads up.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Oct 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:37 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR View Post
Huh? How so? You mean that it cannot be used for wings? Interesting. I guess I just wasted my money. Bummer. Thanks for the heads up.
There are lots of people in the slope world who have made bagged wings over XPS with US Composites 635. Just do a little testing with your foam.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:43 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,481 Posts
Thanks Adam, I will. I wonder if The_Builder means a polyester resin? That I could see happening from my very limited knowledge of epoxy and no knowledge of chemistry!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Oct 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Curtis, I did have some problems with the 635. It didn't happen all the time. You just need to be exacting in how you use it.

If you don't pull enough resin it will over heat and melt the foam. If you pull too much then the skins don't stick. It might be a good idea to do a room temp cure for 4-6 hours and then use your hot box.

Slopers can get away with more stuff than we can because they use more glass so they have a wider margin for error.

So Adam, you coming back to the fold? You should tell Curtis how the drips from your 635 resin jugs ate into your foam tray.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:48 PM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder View Post
So Adam, you coming back to the fold? You should tell Curtis how the drips from your 635 resin jugs ate into your foam tray.
There are quite a few amine based hardeners that will melt XPS foam if it's in contact with the foam for long periods of time. The slab of foam that my epoxy sits on has lots of "eaten" spots. The uncured hardeners have been in contact with the foam for years.

In the end you just need to test, test, test. I've fondled quite a few successful wings that were made with USC 635. The slopers do have thicker laminates which would have much higher exotherm issues than thin ones. Force curing any resin with added heat will raise the exotherm temps.
Last edited by wyowindworks; Oct 27, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Thanks guys, the horse is buried.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:31 PM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
I have always had excellent success with the old jeffco 1307 as well as with the Rhino 1307LV after Rhino bought out Jeffco. http://rhinoliningsepoxy.com/product...rcraft/204/297
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:50 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jul 2004
1,469 Posts
What would you liken this resin to? MGS?

What does this resin and hardener cost for the smallest amount? Looks like 40 pd pails are the minimum.

Just curious and would like to hear a little more about your experiences with it.

Jim
Tehachapi Jim is online now Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:29 AM
Composites guy
North OC, Ca.
Joined Jun 2005
1,179 Posts
You all know that many curing agents are corrosive right?
We get curing agent samples in glass bottles due their tendency to eat the metal can they used to ship it in.
sarmoby is offline Find More Posts by sarmoby
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:44 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jul 2004
1,469 Posts
I did FWIW. I believe the gentleman that built Sterling kits had to give it up because his reaction to epoxies had gotten so bad it was really messing with his health.
Tehachapi Jim is online now Find More Posts by Tehachapi Jim
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:35 AM
fishs eddy n.y.
Joined Apr 2003
1,969 Posts
Rhino 1307LV is available in 1 gallon containers, they are listed as 8pound quantities.

I havnt tried MGS so I cant make a comparison.
talonxracer is offline Find More Posts by talonxracer