HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:09 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
United States, NJ, Point Pleasant Beach
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are differences between a $200 and $50 gyro. They may be subtle, but they are there.

One example is the as3x in the first generation mCPx helicopter*. To most people it is fine, but try a full rudder piro and tell me how many times it will spin around before flying itself into the ground. Exactly 1.5 times from my experience.

I'm sure other, better 3 axis gyros have some solutions to simulate a true pirouette. My flybarred helis can piro at least a few dozen times without touching the cyclic stick before I need to correct them.

Most of these differences may be more subtle than that, but they are there. It all depends on what kind of coffee the programmer was drinking when he wrote the routines for that or the other gyro.

*That's the only FBL heli I ever had, so can't speak of any others.
Gedexas is offline Find More Posts by Gedexas
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:39 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedexas View Post
I'm pretty sure there are differences between a $200 and $50 gyro. They may be subtle, but they are there.

One example is the as3x in the first generation mCPx helicopter*. To most people it is fine, but try a full rudder piro and tell me how many times it will spin around before flying itself into the ground. Exactly 1.5 times from my experience.

I'm sure other, better 3 axis gyros have some solutions to simulate a true pirouette. My flybarred helis can piro at least a few dozen times without touching the cyclic stick before I need to correct them.

Most of these differences may be more subtle than that, but they are there. It all depends on what kind of coffee the programmer was drinking when he wrote the routines for that or the other gyro.

*That's the only FBL heli I ever had, so can't speak of any others.
I got one right here that will do quite a few piros w/o touching anything.
my daily flyer would do 3 about before got out control.
if you ask me my 130X did them worse then anything ever.

My 450 with ZYX can do them for every it seems.
You need to be sure the heli is level when you start them otherwise will wonder whatever direction it was leaning

Im sure the more high dollar ones do better too but just saying mine is very stable.
I am sure mine could be better if i understood all the functions in the programming mine is simple
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:22 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
I got one right here that will do quite a few piros w/o touching anything.
my daily flyer would do 3 about before got out control.
if you ask me my 130X did them worse then anything ever.

My 450 with ZYX can do them for every it seems.
You need to be sure the heli is level when you start them otherwise will wonder whatever direction it was leaning

Im sure the more high dollar ones do better too but just saying mine is very stable.
I am sure mine could be better if i understood all the functions in the programming mine is simple
The pirouette behavior is only an example. I guess my point is that there is a difference from one FBL controller to the next. For 99% of us this makes no difference, but when you fly like Tareq or Szabo, the $200 gyro may be the only one that makes the cut.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:53 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
The difference between good and acceptable is always subtle. It is often in the polish of the product, not the major features, but it is almost always worth the difference in price. It may not seem so to some people, but the market as a whole says so, or BeastX would be out of business.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,797 Posts
I used to think $150 for a reg gyro Futaba 401 or similar was nuts, i am just glad today we can buy gyros that work at least as well or better for $50.00 sure if your flying a 2000 bird then install a 300 gyro fbl system but for most of us we don't need to spent that much. I would love to have a beastx but at $220 most likely never will unless find used one for a good deal
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:28 AM
China, Jiangsu, Wuxi
Joined Apr 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
another Beastx wanna be?
I know a guy on HF has a video of his KDS 450 flying with that oen looks good.
I am amazed how well all these units less then $100 work, was looking at the V bart and brain and others there $250.00-$400 that is insane, I love my ZYX if my heli flew any better i would feel like I was cheating lol
in few more years they won't be flying, just programming to make the heli fly how you want
Where did you buy ZYX?
Superior Hobby is offline Find More Posts by Superior Hobby
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:44 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superior Hobby View Post
Where did you buy ZYX?
from CNChelicopter. fast shipping.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:02 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,691 Posts
Quote:
The pirouette behavior is only an example. I guess my point is that there is a difference from one FBL controller to the next. For 99% of us this makes no difference, but when you fly like Tareq or Szabo, the $200 gyro may be the only one that makes the cut.
Rubbish, I have flown cheap FBL and even in FF you can feel the difference. The good ones (not even the BX, cheapest ones that are really good are SK540 or MSH Brain both at ~$250) make the heli track perfectly (as in hands off from one end of a FF pass to the other) the cheaper ones (even BX to some extent) require corrections.

The good ones are still able to do this while being nimble and connected feeling on the cyclic, the gyros are not good enough in the cheap ones to come close. The cheap ones I have tried can be set up to be stable, but then they feel disconnected, as though the FBL is fighting your cyclic, the good ones can do both.

The gyros in the good units cost as much (or more) than the cheap units do themselves. Skookum's latest version of the 720 has almost $100 in gyros in it, though the whole unit looks to be over $400.

The cheap ones may be good enough, but only if you haven't flown the great ones. If you can afford it ($250 for a SK540 or Brain) a good FBL system is the best upgrade you can make to a heli IMO.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:27 PM
CP heli ≠ 3D heli
Joined Mar 2009
1,674 Posts
Well, for me going from an E-Sky's interpretation of what a flybar is supposed to be to any cheapest FBL controller is likely to be a huge upgrade, anything past that is diminishing returns.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
Hello all

I got the Bigaole flybarless unit this afternoon,from what the manual said,it seemed it's very easy to configurate,don't need computer,but I think 3 minutes to finish all the processes as it said on it's site is a little difficult for me,but 5m is definitely enough.If the weather is ok ,I'll test it on my 450heli tomorrow.
Badbrother is offline Find More Posts by Badbrother
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:59 PM
China, Jiangsu, Wuxi
Joined Apr 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
from CNChelicopter. fast shipping.
Yes, they ship from US Reasonable price though
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:37 AM
China, Jiangsu, Wuxi
Joined Apr 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbrother View Post
Hello all

I got the Bigaole flybarless unit this afternoon,from what the manual said,it seemed it's very easy to configurate,don't need computer,but I think 3 minutes to finish all the processes as it said on it's site is a little difficult for me,but 5m is definitely enough.If the weather is ok ,I'll test it on my 450heli tomorrow.
Great! I wish you enjoy your flying test.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
Hello guys,

I tested that new flybarless system on my 450heli for five minutes this afternoon.it spent me 4 minutes to finish the whole configuration,but the double tape come out with the package is a little big and has to be cutted.Compared with my present 3GX,the stability is better when trying 3D flight.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:09 AM
China, Jiangsu, Wuxi
Joined Apr 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbrother View Post
Hello guys,

I tested that new flybarless system on my 450heli for five minutes this afternoon.it spent me 4 minutes to finish the whole configuration,but the double tape come out with the package is a little big and has to be cutted.Compared with my present 3GX,the stability is better when trying 3D flight.
Congrats! I'll forward your nice advice to factory for improving their packs. Can you PM me other advice as well?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superior Hobby View Post
Congrats! I'll forward your nice advice to factory for improving their packs. Can you PM me other advice as well?
Hi,my friend and I tested the bgl system on my 450heli again,it works great,but I have another question,could it be installed on airplane,or used on quadcopter?