SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:10 AM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post
Hey Guys I'm thinking about going to a 4S battery to run the 2815 with the APC 9x6E Prop. What are you guy's thoughts on this setup compared to a 3S 5000mah pack?

Flight Time?
Thrust?
Max amps on esc?

Look forward to hearing back from all you nerds (including myself) on RCG

Cheers,
I use 4S with the 2815 and APC 9x6E prop. I'm using 8000mah (2x4000) and I typically do 45 minute flights and land with barely more than 50% used. I started with 3S on the 2220 motor and it was not nearly as efficient. Just my 2 cents.

Kent
KentF is online now Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Sep 2011
56 Posts
I am right now trying to set up my FPV gear on my Penguin and I am having trouble getting a good CG.

I have my Hero 3 on the nose with my VTX and its battery further back on the black foam base. I then have my two 2200mAh 3 cells as far back on the velcro inside as possible and my Penguin is still nose heavy.

Have you guys added tail weight so you can get a similar setup? Or is there something else that can be done to get a good CG?

I know the importance of a good CG, and also trying to keep the plane as light as possible.
Maxintheair is offline Find More Posts by Maxintheair
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:50 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2008
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxintheair View Post
I am right now trying to set up my FPV gear on my Penguin and I am having trouble getting a good CG.

I have my Hero 3 on the nose with my VTX and its battery further back on the black foam base. I then have my two 2200mAh 3 cells as far back on the velcro inside as possible and my Penguin is still nose heavy.

Have you guys added tail weight so you can get a similar setup? Or is there something else that can be done to get a good CG?

I know the importance of a good CG, and also trying to keep the plane as light as possible.
Sounds like you have a LOT of gear. If you can't, or won't take anything out, tail weight is the only option to get things back in CG. The factory CG is surprisingly close, though I've got mine set back ever-so-slightly. Lead shot or lead chunks in the tail is good. I usually route out a pocket and then hot glue the weight in.

Remember: If you can, lighter planes fly better!

-Peter
peter.braswell is offline Find More Posts by peter.braswell
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:17 AM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2011
693 Posts
Quote:

I have a very similar config with a GP3 + flight cam + pan tilt on the nose. I ripped out the velcro it came with and put in replacement velcro + elastic battery strap further back in the bay. It's so far back it covers over the downward hatch (which I don't care about for now). This allowed me to get my batteries pushed back enough for a good CG.

Chris
imagebuff is offline Find More Posts by imagebuff
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:03 AM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,334 Posts
Quote:

What CG range are you trying to get? Have you flown it yet?
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:48 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Sep 2012
469 Posts
I maidened mine with out gp and it is setup to fly without. I added it after and put lead on the tail. If I want to take the gp off I just remove the lead and its back in range.

And a heavier plane isnt always bad. A light plane can be floaty and get tossed around in wind, I would not change mine.
fpvbasher is offline Find More Posts by fpvbasher
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:22 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentF View Post
I use 4S with the 2815 and APC 9x6E prop. I'm using 8000mah (2x4000) and I typically do 45 minute flights and land with barely more than 50% used. I started with 3S on the 2220 motor and it was not nearly as efficient. Just my 2 cents.

Kent
Hey Kent thanks for the reply, really appreciated!

Wow that's a lot of battery ha. I have been using 3s 5000 and 3s 5400's in my penguin and can get about 30-40 minute flight times. I would like the extra thrust and longer flight times though. Looks like i will be going to 4S.

What is your max amps your pulling with the 4S?

What is your takeoff weight of your penguin with the 4s power system?

Thank You,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
56 Posts
I have flown my Penguin 4-5 times line of sight with the CG set up like in the manual. I just added my FPV gear and changed my battery from a single 3300mAh 3 cell, to two 2200mAh 3 cells.

I want to keep my FPV gear available to easily remove it from the Penguin so that I can swap it back and forth between my Penguin and my TBS discovery.

I have thought of putting my VTX and VTX battery back on the tail boom near the molded piece of foam where you can mount gear, and then run the FPV wires on the outside of the fuse up to the front holding it down with painters tape.
Maxintheair is offline Find More Posts by Maxintheair
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:06 PM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
658 Posts
Quote:
I have flown my Penguin 4-5 times line of sight with the CG set up like in the manual. I just added my FPV gear and changed my battery from a single 3300mAh 3 cell, to two 2200mAh 3 cells.

I want to keep my FPV gear available to easily remove it from the Penguin so that I can swap it back and forth between my Penguin and my TBS discovery.

I have thought of putting my VTX and VTX battery back on the tail boom near the molded piece of foam where you can mount gear, and then run the FPV wires on the outside of the fuse up to the front holding it down with painters tape.
I run my VTX on the tail boom and it works great! Just make sure you use a shielded wire that runs the distance or you will be more prone to getting interference from other electronics.
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drone Cowboys
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:12 PM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzracing View Post
I run my VTX on the tail boom and it works great! Just make sure you use a shielded wire that runs the distance or you will be more prone to getting interference from other electronics.
Just mounted my VTx in the bottom of the left wing with the antenna at the wingtip.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:20 PM
United States, Mt, Great Falls
Joined May 2011
332 Posts
Today i took my Penguin for its first and second flight in fpv aslo my firdt and second flight in fpv and its badass and hard anway way here is my setup rmrc 1.2 with saw upgrade 3 turn helical antenna and a dvd screen for video on board i have a 800mw rmrc tx with a vee antenna and a FY21-AP with AP-117 osd and a 5000 mah lipo with the 2280 60amp esc combo.man tested the stabilazation flew way to far got lost clicked rth and here she came thank god anyway Now here is the question my seconde flight i took off and the motor started cutting out it got worse and worse esc was warm i have gopro vid if that helps thanx
josh
jminardi is offline Find More Posts by jminardi
Last edited by jminardi; Jan 31, 2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: add more
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:32 PM
Joined May 2010
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Just mounted my VTx in the bottom of the left wing with the antenna at the wingtip.
Did you run a coax out to the antenna, or is the vtx at the wingtip also? What is on the opposite wing to counter balance? Also, does this make it more of a pain to set up, more connections? What freq vtx?
Deadstick 8409 is offline Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:57 PM
United States, Mt, Great Falls
Joined May 2011
332 Posts
Quote:

i found the more nose heavy the better it flew and landings are almost effortless
jminardi is offline Find More Posts by jminardi
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:10 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Mar 2006
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jminardi View Post
Today i took my Penguin for its first and second flight in fpv aslo my firdt and second flight in fpv and its badass and hard anway way here is my setup rmrc 1.2 with saw upgrade 3 turn helical antenna and a dvd screen for video on board i have a 800mw rmrc tx with a vee antenna and a FY21-AP with AP-117 osd and a 5000 mah lipo with the 2280 60amp esc combo.man tested the stabilazation flew way to far got lost clicked rth and here she came thank god anyway Now here is the question my seconde flight i took off and the motor started cutting out it got worse and worse esc was warm i have gopro vid if that helps thanx
josh
Pull out the esc and check for loose bullet connectons. I would cut off the heat shrink on those wires so you can inspect them for any bad solder joints. Easy to do and just add more heat shrink.

I would also say to increase the ESC timing, but since you had a successful flight, I doubt that's the case.
McCleary.11 is online now Find More Posts by McCleary.11
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:43 AM
KK4NOP
Joined Aug 2005
3,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
Did you run a coax out to the antenna, or is the vtx at the wingtip also? What is on the opposite wing to counter balance? Also, does this make it more of a pain to set up, more connections? What freq vtx?
Cut a hole in the bottom of the wingtip at the root to flush mount the Tx. I have a 24" extension out to the tip of the wing just before it curves up. It was a pain to do. I extended the wires, first adding a choke, and then a 4 pin deans to connect to the other 4 pin coming off my camera. Easy enough now to connect but will get a bit more complicated when I add my OSD.

The other wing has my DL UHF antenna. I wanted maximum seperation between Tx, Rx, and OSD GPS. I'm running 900mhz currently.
RCG Plus Member