SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:50 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
YouTube videos can be pretty deceptive. Trust me, it isn't too fast for the beginner. If you have your doubts and think the FB Stratos is too fast, try the Ares Gamma 370. It is a very slow flying, stable beginner plane.
+1


.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:47 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
JayY's Avatar
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
well when i watch videos on youtube it looks pretty fast
The Firebird Stratos can move right along at wide open throttle, but it's a nice slow flier too, half throttle is enough to maintain altitude so long as you keep your turns gentle.
JayY is offline Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:14 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
449 Posts
well this plane is growing on me. originally it was between this, the gamma 370 and supercub. first plane i purchased (after the champ) was the super cub. but because the stock batteries didnt even fit in the supercub i returned it. i still cant believe i would have to mod a brand new plane out of the box just to fit the stock batteries in. that irked me bad and back that baby went. i no longer care about the supercub.

so here i am debating between the stratos and gamma 370 rtf both rtf for $130 (except the stratos does not come with ac adapter for the stock charger, the gamma does)

the gamma 370 just seems to have too many problems. tamiya connectors failures, esc failures, servo failures, props breaking too easy. I would LOVE to get the gamma 370 first, because i like that slow flying floating ability it has in the videos. but unfortunately those are major problems. i dont want to lose the plane midflight.

the stratos is probably faster than the gamma, and it has two motors so twice the chance something could wrong i guess. but i like thevi tech in this plane. im just stuck between these two.
bradymartin is offline Find More Posts by bradymartin
Last edited by bradymartin; Feb 07, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:34 AM
Registered User
Corran's Avatar
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Feb 2013
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradymartin View Post
well this plane is growing on me. originally it was between this, the gamma 370 and supercub. first plane i purchased (after the champ) was the super cub. but because the stock batteries didnt even fit in the supercub i returned it. i still cant believe i would have to mod a brand new plane out of the box just to fit the stock batteries in. that irked me bad and back that baby went. i no longer care about the supercub.

so here i am debating between the stratos and gamma 370 rtf both rtf for $130 (except the stratos does not come with ac adapter for the stock charger, the gamma does)

the gamma 370 just seems to have too many problems. tamiya connectors failures, esc failures, servo failures, props breaking too easy. I would LOVE to get the gamma 370 first, because i like that slow flying floating ability it has in the videos. but unfortunately those are major problems. i dont want to lose the plane midflight.

the stratos is probably faster than the gamma, and it has two motors so twice the chance something could wrong i guess. but i like thevi tech in this plane. im just stuck between these two.
I really love my two Firebirds!

My first rc-plane ever....before I have had like 10 rc cars...but now I am totally sold on planes I have allready an edf-jet and an Axn floater....booth waiting for me to get better...But i just might take the edf out for a spinn this weekend.

Also the Stratos is Very durable...after some really smart solutions...making it not brake into 1000 of pieces if you screw up
Corran is offline Find More Posts by Corran
Last edited by Corran; Feb 15, 2013 at 03:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:39 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,789 Posts
The Gamma 370 isn't like that at all. You cannot take a few posts here and determine that the Gamma has "all sorts of problems." Yes, the Tamiya connectors should be replaced, but my original Gamma 370 3 channel is still flying after over a hundred flights. The thing with the FB Stratos, I have one, is that the plane cannot be upgraded at all without performing major surgery on the fuse and electronics; left as is, the Stratos is a great learning plane. The Gamma 370 can be upgraded with virtually no effort at all, and it can go to brushless and an aileron equipped wing for around $60.00. If it were me though, I would buy the RX-R Gamma 370 for $79.99 and buy a decent radio too, like at the minimum a Spektrum DX5e or better yet, a used DX6i.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:54 PM
Registered User
xmech2k's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,861 Posts
Hi all. Just a question for a buddy looking at starting flying. Can the Stratos bind to a Dx5e?

Thanks in advance!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:58 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Hi all. Just a question for a buddy looking at starting flying. Can the Stratos bind to a Dx5e?

Thanks in advance!
No. I wish it would. Requires the game controller.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:38 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2012
279 Posts
Replacing Stratos push rods

Because they are bowing pretty badly, I am going to attempt replacing the push rods on my Stratos. If anyone has done this before, I'd like whatever advice you can give. A couple of questions--- are the push rod ends soldered to the push rod or glued together (CA?) before the shrink wrap is applied? Has anyone tried upgrading the gauge on the wire on the Stratos to minimize the bowing? I'm thinking of trying that. Like I said, any practical advice will be helpful. Thanks,

Tom
black6088 is online now Find More Posts by black6088
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:07 AM
Registered User
xmech2k's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,861 Posts
Thanks WJS. I'll pass it along.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:10 AM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by black6088 View Post
Because they are bowing pretty badly, I am going to attempt replacing the push rods on my Stratos. If anyone has done this before, I'd like whatever advice you can give. A couple of questions--- are the push rod ends soldered to the push rod or glued together (CA?) before the shrink wrap is applied? Has anyone tried upgrading the gauge on the wire on the Stratos to minimize the bowing? I'm thinking of trying that. Like I said, any practical advice will be helpful. Thanks,

Tom
They all CA clued under the shrink. I JB Welded mine and much better. If you want to replace, maybe just get some 2-56 rods threaded on one end. Still will need to JB Weld that smaller z-bend on the servo end.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:27 AM
I Fly!
jrtubb's Avatar
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,223 Posts
I recommend that you look at why they are bowing. I added pin hinges to the elevator and made sure the push rods where straight and smooth. I might do this to the rudder but right now it is pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black6088 View Post
Because they are bowing pretty badly, I am going to attempt replacing the push rods on my Stratos. If anyone has done this before, I'd like whatever advice you can give. A couple of questions--- are the push rod ends soldered to the push rod or glued together (CA?) before the shrink wrap is applied? Has anyone tried upgrading the gauge on the wire on the Stratos to minimize the bowing? I'm thinking of trying that. Like I said, any practical advice will be helpful. Thanks,

Tom
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:58 AM
Registered User
Corran's Avatar
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Feb 2013
99 Posts
Made another little video...in the cold winter Sweden

Got some good speed going stragiht down.... ^^ Just about 1,35

Stratos Firebird in the cold Sweden (5 min 29 sec)
Corran is offline Find More Posts by Corran
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Looks like you've got some pretty imposing obstacles around you there, Corran - trees, light poles, buildings - my hat's off to you!

I have a field that's like 10 square, OPEN acres to fly over... and I'm still curling my toes, hahaha.

... Lennie
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:55 AM
Registered User
Corran's Avatar
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Feb 2013
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .quietguy View Post
Looks like you've got some pretty imposing obstacles around you there, Corran - trees, light poles, buildings - my hat's off to you!

I have a field that's like 10 square, OPEN acres to fly over... and I'm still curling my toes, hahaha.

... Lennie
Thx for thoes kind words

But it is a really easy plane to fly I must say. My first ever

haha, one stupid problem tho....my fingers got so called, it was hard to get any feel for the controlls
Corran is offline Find More Posts by Corran
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:58 PM
At High Altitude...
flightpunch34's Avatar
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,339 Posts
Just what is this planes limit?

stratos Aerobatics time.

just what is this planes limit,well i pushed mine to the limit and beyond today,this thing goes great with V/instructor off and on high rate mode.however i would NOT reccomend it for newbies to switch them off.i'm getting back in to the flying again,will have to progress already for something larger soon.this stratos is unique and has a lot of flying to offer any pilot at any level.a great plane for sure.



Rc flight Aerobatics by dan (5 min 43 sec)
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion HobbyZone Firebird Commander 2 jakob98 Electric Sailplanes 0 Sep 09, 2011 05:48 PM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Phantom parts - $30 take all PACubFlyer103 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Sep 07, 2011 05:34 AM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Outlaw RTF - Great for kids and/or beginners baddb1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 08, 2011 07:36 PM
Discussion Why was HobbyZone Firebird Freedom RTF dicontinued? cschrein Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 2 Apr 19, 2011 07:15 AM
Sold Hobbyzone Firebird Commander 2 Plus Extras banjo_nc Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Apr 01, 2011 07:49 PM