|Mar 17, 2014, 06:02 AM|
Rob Roy Update
I managed to purchase a complete and tested boiler for my project , after spending ages chasing small leaks on my own boiler .
Got this professionally made boiler as part of a part built loco , and sold off the casting set and chassis to recover my costs (so ended up paying just a few pounds for the boiler ) Result !!
I have remade the cross heads in steel and fitted new pistons made from bronze with double silicone "O" rings instead of packing , and fitted silicone "O" rings to piston and valve shafts as well.
I remade all the connecting rod bearings with much tighter tolerance and ran everything on air for about a day to bed it in .
I used loads of oil on everything and in the air . When started , it needed 50 PSI to run , but now ticks over on as little as 20PSI .
I fitted the cylinder drain linkages , and used them to blow out oil while running till it came out clean. Spent a full day ragging all the oil foo of the chassis after run in
Got the lagging and brass skin onto the boiler , painted the lot and fitted the various fittings.
Boiler is now fitted and piped up.
Fitted brakes (still got to do the linkages and control stand ) and started on the brass water tanks and a new cab from mild steel .
Still loads to do , but no excuses for not completing it now .
|Mar 24, 2014, 01:42 AM|
Work on the sidetanks and cab has been put on hold for a week
I am going to Dunkirk to get a machine set up for night shift injections on a wind farm construction ship.
Managed to sand down the tanks and spray on primer prior to leaving , so at least it will be well set when I get home Saturday.
|Mar 25, 2014, 02:15 AM|
Yea Tom !
But if I had been up at our Liverpool base as usual , I could have done some homework and got them finished off in between machine rebuilds.
And now I am here we are on a 2 day hold waiting for welders and whatever to get out of the way .
Still . on the bright side ! I was trolling through ebay and found a nice bronze filter I can use for a suction filter on the cross head pump inside the water tank . It is a petrol filter for a lawn mower , and only cost £4.50 including postage . Nice !
|Apr 01, 2014, 01:46 AM|
Side Tanks Fitted
Returned from Dunkirk to very nice weather (for painting) and dry primed tanks.
I fitted the manual water pump into the left tank and fitted the tank top with cut out for pump handle (still got to mill out a brass cover plate and filler caps) , fitted all pipework and suction filter into the right tank and fitted the bypass valve onto the back face(where it will be usable from the cab).
Painted all tanks , lined the tanks and varnished over the line decals .
I put the first layer of Caledonian Railways crest on each tank as a guide for painting in the white . Then when the top decal is put on the colours will show up correctly . I cannot print white on decals , and light colours don't show against dark backgrounds .
Waiting for the custom lettering as well .
Got to bolt the tanks down next and fit all the pipework , make and paint all the covers and start on the footplate and cab . So still loads to do
|Apr 05, 2014, 09:41 AM|
Painted the white background onto the Caledonian crest and put on the top decals for the 2 tanks , added the lettering decals , varnished over and fitted the side tanks in place on the loco .
Made up the brass water tank caps , painted and fitted .
Working on the hand pump cover and tank to boiler pipework now .
|Apr 14, 2014, 01:11 AM|
Got some more work done on the loco this weekend .
I got the cab bolted together and made brass mounting plates to bolt it all down , these make the cab much stronger and give something to fit the cab floor to
The coal bunker section is built around a new fully silver soldered 1 1/4 inch brass square section balance tank . I built the tank with brass tubes soldered in to take hold down bolts into the chassis.
I drilled and threaded all the holes for lamp brackets and grab handles , primed the cab and got it painted up.
Next weekend I will put the lines on and varnish them over , and start fitting all the brackets and handles/windows.
The cab floor is going to be fun with all the cut outs for levers and valves, I am making up templates in card first .
Getting near the end now ! apart from all the little jobs that take forever to do
|Apr 19, 2014, 10:26 AM|
Spent some more time on the Rob Roy project.
Got the cab lined and varnished over , and fitted the lamp brackets and hand rails.
Built and fitted the cab floor and bored the hole for the brake standard to fit into.
I painted the cab lights and glued in the lenses .
I am working on all the remaining pipe sections and brake linkages now.
I am making new window frames for the round cab windows and railings for the top of the bunker section.
Loads of little jobs still to do , but the main parts are completed
Got another boat hull off the bay , so that will be a future build .