SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2014, 06:27 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
174 Posts
CJ #503's maiden voyage.

I finally got to maiden CJ #503 last Friday, which is one of the days the local sailboat club is at the pond here in Sequim. I've made some adjustments and I'm hoping to test them this coming Friday. One of the club members took some pictures of it sailing and I've added some of them here. As you can see the main needed some tightening and it had a bit too much tendency to weather helm. I didn't get any water in the boat and I did have some concerns that that might happen. I had the lee rail buried a couple of times and I had a problem when I attached the deck in one spot. The first attempt at gluing it down failed. It happened right where the wave in picture four comes up to the edge of the deck. I also had some concerns about the standing rigging as I used Spectra Power Braid for the standing rigging and I used 1/4" long pieces of brass tubing for the sleeves.
Jim
jimhurley is offline Find More Posts by jimhurley
Last edited by jimhurley; Jun 03, 2014 at 06:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2014, 06:54 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,103 Posts
Jim:

I like the color.

You may want to reconsider the Spectra as running rigging. I tried that on a US1M and found the shrouds would go slack when kept under a load. Turns out the Spectra is know to "creep" under constant loads. I also found that the shrouds were more easily tangled when stored.

I went to single strand SS wire and have been happy with it. The length changes a little with changes in temperature, but nothing drastic. Your local fishing tackle shop should have SS wire leader in a variety of sizes.
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:02 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
174 Posts
Steve,
Thanks for the comments, I'll keep an eye on it. I had read about Spectra creeping before I tried the stuff I'm using, but this is designed for downriggers and is not supposed to creep or stretch. I think that it is different than the fishing line. You would want some stretch in a fishing line to cushion the shock of the strike, but you wouldn't want any stretch in a downrigger line because you want to know that you are at the depth where the fish are. I'll find out as I keep the boat rigged here at the house. It fits in the back of my truck so I don't have to unrig it to take it sailing. I haven't unrigged it since I rigged it the first time.
I believe you about the tangling it is very thin and flexible for it's breaking strength. It is rated at 175 lbs. This is also a product of my local fishing shop, they carry it in bulk and it is just a few cents a foot so it is very economical to buy the amount you need for an RC sailboat.
Very thin, less drag, boat goes faster.
Jim
Old Jun 03, 2014, 09:30 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,103 Posts
I hope it works for you.

RE: shroud size. You would be surprised how much difference it makes in the windage drag. I waved a US1M around in the air before and after going to smaller wire and I believe I could feel the difference.

Now that the boat is in the water, are you going to be able to make the NCR this fall?
Old Jun 03, 2014, 10:03 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
Hi Jim,

Congratulations on your maiden voyage. It sure looks nice.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Jun 03, 2014, 10:49 PM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
174 Posts
Sacramento Regatta

Steve,
I'd love to make that, but I've had to put my wife in a nursing facility because she has Alzheimer's and in order to get her on Medicaid to pay for it I had to lock up about 60% of my IRA in a zero interest annuity for 5 years. This meant that I had to reduce my IRA draw by 40% and all of her Social Security goes to her care. This type of care in this area is about $8600 per month. Even if she were to pass away, my financial situation wouldn't improve because the annuity has to have the state as the beneficiary and it has to live for five years. I am able to take out regular payments, but to optimize the return on my IRA it is better to take out a yearly distribution, which has to be rolled over to my regular IRA where I can reinvest it. If I don't do that it gets taxed.
We lived out by Folsom Lake for 25 years between '73 and '98 so I'd really like to revisit the area.
I don't mean to be hijacking this thread, but speaking from experience if you are starting to get on in years, find yourselves a good senior attorney and find out how things work in your state and get what every you need in place. My wife is only 73 and she started showing signs in her early 60's. Once a doctor mentions Alzheimer's or dementia long term care is no longer an option and having it can cause some complications if you need to get someone on Medicaid so you can afford their care.
Anyone interested in more information on my experience with this disease and what I had to do to set up my finances can pm me.
Jim
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:18 AM
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
I have just purchased a Canterbury J. I will be building the deck as I have done with my 108 in Lionheart J.

I have 2 questions:

One:
The problem is that I am wondering if (and how) the underside of the deck is finished.

Two; The caulk seams;
For my 108 in Lionheart, I used small strips of Black Walnut to simulate the caulk seams with 1/8 in thick by 1/2 in wide strips of Basswood for the decking.
I know that some have used strips of black, thick "paper" to simulate the caulk, but are there other ideas and is the uniformity of the "paper" better? My tiny strips of Black Walnut look good but they are not perfectly uniform.
PATMURFF is offline Find More Posts by PATMURFF
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:27 AM
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
I live near Lake Michigan and it is quite common here to use SS downrigger wire available many places for fishing. It may be somewhat of overkill for a 48 in J and I wonder about Spectra as well. I haven't heard about creep of the length. That would be a problem.
I also have a roll of Kevlar line. Both the Kevlar and the Spectra are a little thinner than the downrigger wire, but not by a whole lot.

Another wire to consider (I have used it) is the old style control line for line control planes. That can be a VERY small diameter wire
PATMURFF is offline Find More Posts by PATMURFF
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:27 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,152 Posts
Pat - on one build of a C&C 41 (semi-scale) I did the deck using balsa strips, but spaced them using a credit card for thickness of the groove between strips. I did a clear coat of epoxy. Then mixed up some epoxy and added some graphite powder and applied it to the cracks, much like doing tile work.

Before it sets up, use a stiff rag (I used old blue jean material) and with a bit of acetone, I was able to clean off the black epoxy from thee balsa.

Two issues:

Balsa must be thoroughly sealed and sanded smooth so nothing keep you from wiping off the black powder/epoxy.

You need to do the wipe before the epoxy gets too hard - and you can use the credit card or a putty knife behind the material to be able to give the finish a flat finish and remove any of the black epoxy. It might be possible to fill the lines between planks with black powder (maybe black paint powder used in schools for making finger paints). But in either case, I would suggest you try the process using balsa on a scrap piece of backer plywood,

If your lines aren't even, the black will show an uneven line.

If you use a light wood for deck, like balsa, and you epoxy over it with plain epoxy, line between planks will turn a golden brown/amber color if that meets your desires. Just leave grooves open and fill with plain epoxy until the groove is same thickness (filled) as planks.

Just a few thoughts. Good luck, and post a final photo of what you did.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 01:30 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
669 Posts
I laminated a layer of thin glass cloth on the underside of my plywood deck with West System...before gluing the deck on. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=53

On the Dumas Chris Craft boats they use white styrene strips between the wood deck planks. Mack products I think uses the same thing in black on their Gar Wood kit http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=84

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/7175_&_7176_caulking.htm

Our own Ed Crowell used "Purfling" as caulking strips on his scratch built Gar Wood.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=51
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=83

I used 30# 1x7 coated "Surflon" SS leader wire for the standing rigging on my C-J. It's held up fine so far. http://www.afwhiseas.com/HI-SEAS-Surflon-s/1835.htm

I've also used the Pekabe single strand SS wire on other boats with good results.
http://pekabe.com/store2/standing-ri...6mm-20-meters/

Kevin
Canterbury J #551
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:35 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
669 Posts
Well these aren't specifically about the Canterbury, but thought you might like to see this three part CNN "documentary" of the real J-Class boats

Part1:
http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2....ats-a.cnn.html

Part2:
http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2....urn-b.cnn.html

Part3:
http://edition.cnn.com/video/data/2....urn-c.cnn.html

Amazing machines!!!!

Kevin
Last edited by poltergeist; Jul 15, 2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 04:58 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,103 Posts
Sailing Instructions Posted for Canterbury J NOR

The Sailing Instructions (SI) for the First West Coast Canterbury J National Championship Regatta (2nd ever CJ National Championship) are now posted at http://egmyc.net/Assets/2014CanterburyJNCR/SI.pdf

There is still time to enter. The postmark deadline for mail in registration for the Sept 27 & 28 National Championships (practice on Friday, Sept 26 beginning at 1300) is Monday, Sept 5. The entry form is here: http://egmyc.net/Assets/2014CanterburyJNCR/NOR.pdf

Even if you don't think you have chance of walking off with some "hardware", come on out and join in the fun.

(I went to the US1M NCR in San Diego two years ago with a heavy home made boat and my only claim to fame was that I was last to finish each heat by so much that it gave the other guys time to change batteries, but I leaned soooo much and became a far better racer, returning the following year and placed about mid pack, even after missing most of the Sunday races due to equipment issues. Experience with competitive racers is the best way to get better!)

Questions? Either ask here, PM me or call me at the number on the form.

Steve
CJ #527
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:06 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
I purchased a set of "B" sails from Rod Carr which I finished installing earlier this week. Today Kevin (CJ 551) and I (CJ 529) sailed with our new "B" rigs and fine tuned them. We had some fairly good wind. All in all it was a good day. Kevin and I will be heading to the CJ NCR races in Sacramento on September 27th and 28th.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:53 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
669 Posts
Well Ed got better photos than I did, but we had a nice, productive day of tuning up the new "B-rigs" for our C-J's yesterday. And I did get the insignia and sail numbers inked on finally.

Kevin
C-J #551