SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:12 AM
Joined Nov 2009
427 Posts
Quick question folks.
I just completed the programming and I am not sure about the gyro operation. Right now I put the gyro gain on a switch channel on my Tx and found out the following behavior:

- At -100% gain control (stick in end position), it appears to be in "normal" mode
- At 0% gain (neutral - stick in middle position) , it appears to be turned off
- At +100% (stick in the opposite end position) gain it appears to be in HH mode.

When I understand the manual in particular the pictures on page 37 correctly, they propose to have the gyro turned off in flight mode 0 and 1 (equals to the neutral position on the gain channel), and -50% in mode 2 (3D). This means that for 3D flying Seb proposes a moderate gyro reaction in "normal" mode.

Is my understanding correct?

I would not see an issue with flying in HH mode, either but would like to get first your opinion before I fly.

PS: WRT the creep of the thrust rudder servo in HH mode when the plane is not moved: this is a non issue, since you do not start with Gyro on
schiwo1 is online now Find More Posts by schiwo1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:41 AM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,329 Posts
My understanding is the gyro is not operational in mode 0 and 1 and in mode 2 is either off or in HH mode based on the position of the gear 2-way switch. The idea is mode 0 is for high-speed flight, mode 1 is 3D with vectoring and mode 2 is the same as mode 1 but enables the gyro to be selected (in HH mode) for hovering...

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:13 PM
jean-claude Terrettaz
Carp, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2000
1,459 Posts
Very windy today, but I did not resist and I flew the Mig . Nobody @ the club to help with launch... we have a nice smooth paved runway and I take off ( po2) using the landing skid, 5 meters and the Mig was airborne, this plane roll faster than my mirage oulalala
I loved , lot of fun , Thank again Jack
bidule is online now Find More Posts by bidule
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:29 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidule View Post
Very windy today, but I did not resist and I flew the Mig . Nobody @ the club to help with launch... we have a nice smooth paved runway and I take off ( po2) using the landing skid, 5 meters and the Mig was airborne, this plane roll faster than my mirage oulalala
Nice Jean Claude!

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:22 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,821 Posts
At least i know i am not crazy,just got off the phone with a friend that is putting his first couple flights on the Mig,he asked why the plane shots up when the throttle is pulled back and fans are not spinning I am going out to the field right now and put a couple more flights on it.
VooDoo Child is online now Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,821 Posts
Any chance of getting the pics up tonight Jack ? i am very curious to see if our Ails,elev,and nossels are close when powered up......Or if i am way off.The pics in the manuel are just hard to see,and my ails were way off compaired to the pic.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:26 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidule View Post
Congrats ! I just put mine on the runway and take off also...it is very cool.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,821 Posts
Just got three more flights in,and now i am getting very impressed (since i gave up on trying to make it glid,i have to land like Seba does in the vid,with low RPM) I got in some killer flat spins,and hung it on the thrust 3 times that were nice....and five times that i almost smashed it.If this thing tips over,it takes a LOOOONG time to recover,so first timers-ether do it on the deck (and i mean low) or start doing them at 5 mistake high
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,821 Posts
I am also getting good 4 minute flight times now.....That is very impressive.On a side note,and not trying to take anything away from Thunder Power (i have LOTS of them) I decided to try HoppyPartz lipo,s for the first time,and these 4000mah 40C Blue packs are more then enough for this Mig,and there only 40 bucks a pack....they also come out of the Mig alot cooler then my Thunder Powers.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:19 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
I just put my first couple flights on the Mig,and all i can say is " Sabastiano should be nothing short of embarrassed to have his name on this plane" Maybe another 20 trim flights and i will feel different,but those will not fix how HOT everything gets in this bird,even flying mellow.....It has been over 20 minutes since it has been flown,and i can smell it in my living room.
I take it your opinion has changed somewhat?
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:51 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
I have spent ALOT of time the last week tweeking this thing.Now that i have all new hardware,and gave up on trying to get it to glide,and keep the fans spinning on a throttle up switch....Yes my opinion is changing...But the first time i run the batt down to far (not that i think i will do that) it will not be to fun getting back to the ground safe.This plane does not feel like it will take ANY IMPACT without getting very tore up.I think Jack put it best when he posted "It is not a novice plane at all" and he is 100% right.Mark my words,there will be alot of these planes not lasting very long.....Mine included.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
I will get a hold of this jet for sure,seems the more a plane gets on my nerves,the harder i try to get it right....Heck,it took me 5 years to figure out how to crash my 8 thousand dollar planes like this,,,,wonder how many Migs it will take to get it right...I HATE THIS HOBBY,I HATE 3D AEROBATICS,AND I AM NOT HOOKED Doug
voodoo TV.mov (10 min 0 sec)
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:08 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
I HATE THIS HOBBY,I HATE 3D AEROBATICS,AND I AM NOT HOOKED Doug
They have 12-step programs for that
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:34 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,971 Posts
Looks like the split aileron/flap is trimmed to the point where pitch-up of the aileron portion cancels the pitch-down of the flap.