Flarpy
Kitsap County
Joined Nov 2010
761 Posts
That was hilarious! Favorite quotes.
Cry "he's ballsy with someone else's airplane"
Cry- " know what I forgot to do.... Cut a hole in it"

And finally..... " what'd he say??" X2

It's funny when you get to know Flop you suddenly can understand his flying lingo.
Thanks for the laugh so early In the morning cry. That was great!
flarpy is offline Find More Posts by flarpy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:46 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,520 Posts
My favorite funny flying Flop video....

Edge 540T Close Shave Trac II (0 min 31 sec)
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:56 AM
Gone Gas! / Gone Crazy?
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Sep 2012
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
Good memories of my favorite airframe and the guy that alot of us involved in 3D flying....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Just last night, I was going through my old youtube uploads and came across this one from a couple years ago.
+1 to that!

Thanks Vitter & Flop for luring me into to the art of 3D with your mesmerizing flying skills & wacky crazy sense of humor. Ya hooked me & reeled me into the 3D Mob. You had me at rolling harrier! lol
Mr Whirl is offline Find More Posts by Mr Whirl
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:30 AM
Sammamish WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarl Of Whirl View Post
+1 to that!

Thanks Vitter & Flop for luring me into to the art of 3D with your mesmerizing flying skills & wacky crazy sense of humor. Ya hooked me & reeled me into the 3D Mob. You had me at rolling harrier! lol
+1 kody got me hooked a long time ago

I went to BOD meeting last night .

Ian spent 1/2 hour going over FPV rules to be submitted to King Co. He need to make a few changes and next meeting we will review them.

Went over the DB testing and how to use the DB meter and fill out the proper paperwork .

Talked about MAR/C All Members Survey 120 members took the last two months.
pro bro steve is online now Find More Posts by pro bro steve
Last edited by pro bro steve; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:51 PM
Gone Gas! / Gone Crazy?
Joined Sep 2012
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pro bro steve View Post
+1 kody got me hooked a long time ago

I went to BOD meeting last night .

Went over the DB testing and how to use the DB meter and fill out the proper paperwork .
+1 on Kody the 3D machine.

Thank you for representing all of us at the MARC.

Looks like I can't keep my mouth closed on the db issue.

Steve or Joe is there anyway you can possibly influence the MARC board to standardize there db test to be consistent with the AMA test protocol?

MARC current Test Protocol: The sound meter will be used in the “A” weighting position and “Fast” switch position. Momentarily press the “Hold” button so that the meter will retain the maximum dB level; following the test, show the level on the meter to the flyer. Position it 25 feet from the model in the plane of the prop at a height of 2-3 feet and with no noise reflecting objects within three feet. Point it directly at the model and have the engine run at full power.

Link to MARC sound Abatement Rule:
http://mar-c.org/sites/default/files...%20PROGRAM.pdf

The issue and inconsistency with MARC's db test protocol is that the tester is holding the db meter while performing the db sound level test. This causes sound reflection of roughly 1db which in turn lowers the passing db threshold to 89db instead of 90db which is the intended sound abatement target db.

1 db doesn't seem like much however keep in mind db's are exponential in nature not incremental. i.e. the higher the db number means exponentially more noise.

Here is AMA's competition db rule. Note they use a stand for testing thus eliminating the sound reflection issue.

4.2: Noise Limit: Each internal combustion engine shall be equipped with an effective silencer. The maximum noise level for all AMA classes shall be 96 decibels measured at three (3) meters from the centerline of the model. All measurements will be taken perpendicular to the fuselage centerline from the right hand side of the model. The nose of the model will be pointed directly into the wind and the microphone will be placed on a stand 30 centimeters above the ground and in line with the motor. No noise reflecting objects shall be nearer than three (3) meters to the model or microphone. The measurement will be made while the throttle is at full power.

Link to AMA competition rules:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2...erobatics1.pdf

"Don't get caught up in the db threshold difference between MARC at 90db & AMA at 96db." As I understand it the 90db target was chosen to be consistent with traffic noise on 520. This will be a difficult to change without getting all legal-beagle sighting King County Park Ordnance precedence and this is not advisable because of the relationship fall out that would incur with MARC board members.

Focus on recommending the missing testing stand component which should allow some two blade props to pass with cans at true 90db
Last edited by Mr Whirl; Feb 14, 2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:09 PM
Sammamish WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,000 Posts
Lee the AMA way is harder to pass. Don't wish for that you will not like what you wish for.

We have 25' test not 10'.

We can play with the DB meter with a Airplane to prove it.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Aug 2007
543 Posts
I agree with steve. Dont open up a new can of worms
Azhar is online now Find More Posts by Azhar
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:36 PM
Gone Gas! / Gone Crazy?
Joined Sep 2012
932 Posts
Quote:
Lee the AMA way is harder to pass. Don't wish for that you will not like what you wish for.

We have 25' test not 10'. We can play with the DB meter with a Airplane to prove it.
My only point is the lack of a test stand in MARC's protocal. I am not a proponate of changing the distance from test meter to plane. I am a proponate of getting sound reflective persons/material away from (behind) the test meter, thus the reccomendation of an elevated test stand for the db meter. This should create a more consistant, fair & reasonable sound abatement test protocol.

Test both methods with a one plane consant,
Test 1 -No db meter test stand (hand held meter test) &
Test 2- With db meter test stand (stand held meter test) &
Then validate the db delta between the two tests.

If there is no difference you may have an out of calibration issue. Which leads to another battery of discovery questions, when was the last time the meter was calibrated? & What is the protocal regarding how often the meter should be calibrated?

We can all recall that FPV's were going bye bye until facts, data & logic were presented to sway the MARC board to a FPV supportive stance. The db test protocol is no different.

It is easy for me to be an arm chair board member, it is way harder to actually be one.
Thank you for representing all of us. You have my full support.
Last edited by Mr Whirl; Feb 14, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:56 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Apr 2007
412 Posts
I've mentioned it before, MARC needs a few more new board members before I will support them.

I appreciate the effort Steve and Joe have made as well, but reality is they are just fitting in, not shaking anything up and can't until they have some support.

Board meetings are unannounced. That is your first clue the board does not want you to know what's going on. Jack even said he had to welcome members to the board meetings, but he didn't like to, if for no other reason than they do not have room for it.

Minutes from December have not been posted, with no explanation.

My primary flying is FPV, yet I still have no idea what's going on with FPV at MARC. I even did make a board meeting to try and find out. What I saw as a proposal from 'the FPV committe' I had no idea who/what was, full of inaccuracies and deception. I really felt uncomfortable trading one bad process for a worse one.

The boards Method of Operation has not changed one bit since the elections..

I really disliked how the survey was extended. The reasoning was that only 25% expressed an opinion. Well guess what, only 25% voted for directors as well (so I heard, no way to know), I think I see a pattern. My guess is that someone did not like the outcome, so they extended it long enough to sway it. Suddenly 10% more participated? The thing is we will never know. What were the changes suggested by 25% versus the 35% Any difference? And BTW, what were the results, un-edited?

BTW I would much prefer my email address be public than my telephone number, and I wish the board would publish their emails so I could express my thoughts. So far, only Joe's email is published.

I heard at the board meeting I did go to that there had not been a noise complaint in 2 years. The sound topic is in the minutes (November), but not that piece of information. Either their process works, or the complainer(s) moved. The only way to know is to bump the noise up and see if a complaint happens again.

It's a secretive board, and still a control freak.

2 more 3D and/or FPV board members, and keep the 2 we have, then we can make some changes.
spiked3 is offline Find More Posts by spiked3
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:07 PM
Sammamish WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,000 Posts
We can run test with the DB meter

I can bring a trypod and set it up for you at 2' level back up . (run test)
and hold it at knee level run test to see if there is a deference.

What is the protocal regarding how often the meter should be calibrated?

The DB meter the club bought was expensive it has a calibrater we tested with last night . It stays with the meter.

Last year when testing airplanes with Bill Newman the reading were the same with or without a tripod on grass.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:20 PM
Sammamish WA
Joined Sep 2003
1,000 Posts
I think you are wrong Mike about FPV we spent 1/2 the meeting trying to get the letter right that we will be sending off to King County. We feel that we got one shot and want to get it right. I still have a headache from the meeting. Ian is doing the best he can and has BM support for the follow up letter.

The BS with Seattle PD FPV surveillance project shot down last week is not helping at all.

You are welcome to come to the BOD meeting . They are the 2nd Wed of the month.

Also Alan McSwain will be giving a presentation on FPV at the next general meeting next thur 2-21-13 bring your set up for show and tell.
Last edited by pro bro steve; Feb 14, 2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:30 PM
Gone Gas! / Gone Crazy?
Joined Sep 2012
932 Posts
Quote:
We can run test with the DB meter

I can bring a trypod and set it up for you at 2' level back up . (run test)
and hold it at knee level run test to see if there is a deference.

What is the protocal regarding how often the meter should be calibrated?

The DB meter the club bought was expensive it has a calibrater we tested with last night . It stays with the meter.
The calibration question would best be anwsered by an sound & meter expert.

There should be mfg website or phone for the meter & for that matter there should be full instructions on the recommended frequency of calibration, maintence, care & storage of the meter. I am no db sound meter expert however generally for any calibrated measuring device to be certified & truely accurate, it needs to go to a lab with certification authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhar View Post
I agree with steve. Dont open up a new can of worms
I don't dare dig any deeper into this issue. Ahzar you were right again... this will quickly turn into a big-old-can-o-worms. lol

Steve again I appreciate you noble efforts & representation.
Last edited by Mr Whirl; Feb 14, 2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:18 PM
Gas Monkey Vic
Snohomish, WA
Joined Jan 2005
1,491 Posts
Quote:
No matter how bad my day may have been at corporate-ville, I can always count on you guys for a great laugh. Vitter I take one in 12s please. lol
Im always happy to make people laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by furballll View Post
any of you guys have a KS 86 Canister (Rear Exit) and a 25mm Drop Double Bend flex header, or something like this that will go into a aeroworks 50 cc qb edge? i am rebuilding a damaged plane on a really tight budget, so far i am up to the bare bones plane and a dle 55 and am looking for gear to get it up and running sometime this summer. or at least that the dream.
Sorry Furbal I don't know of anyone selling gear like that. You check Flying Giants swap shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
Good memories of my favorite airframe and the guy that alot of us involved in 3D flying....

http://vimeo.com/13475781
I really miss that color/trim scheme. I'm half tempted to hire someone to recover my EG Slick like that but it made me to attached to that airframe..... Its much essayer to get over the loss of a plane with a stock scheme than a custom scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Just last night, I was going through my old youtube uploads and came across this one from a couple years ago.

I didn't know who Flopgun was but I think it was Vitter who said he knows of a very good pilot who would be at the 60 acres Fly in and would fly the Sbach for me so I could video it. Buying this plane, was the first transaction I had with the new guy, Azhar, whom I chatted with about the sbach on Flying Giants.

lol..I was worried that the batteries would slip when he started doing some of that crazy stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvxkX8YxXgM
The commentary was hilarious. It sounds like this Flopgun guy that you didnt really know at the time had you a little freaked out

Quote:
+1 to that!

Glad I got some of you guys hooked on 3D and life's always better when you're laughing
Vitter is offline Find More Posts by Vitter
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:22 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,057 Posts
Ok, to lighten up the discussion a wee bit..

watch and laugh and slap your forehead.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6e5_1360811236
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:52 PM
Gone Gas! / Gone Crazy?
Joined Sep 2012
932 Posts
Be a Super Hornet Pilot for a few minutes Super Cool

Full Link Path<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw0gjw1XIIk>

F18 Carrier Ops (12 min 17 sec)