SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 21, 2013, 10:56 AM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
Question
Wing type name?

I am doing a reverse engineering project for my university and I chose the Parkzone Mini Vapor for the project. I am having trouble remembering what the wing is called that has self leveling tendencies. If you could tell me what the name for that is, it would be much apreciated
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:18 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,309 Posts
The Mini Vapor follows the practice of many years of small, light, slow fliers.

The relative angle(s) of the wing and horizontal tail is called "incidence", which may be what you're referring to.

The wing has positive incidence when the angle of the wing is positive with respect to the tail - meaning the leading edge of the wing is higher than the leading edge of the tail. Incidence creates lift, but also creates drag. At a certain forward speed, the angle provides a balance between speed, lift and drag.

On the Mini Vapor, one can experiment with the battery position to achieve a CG point that will result in a certain speed vs angle of attack. Usually, a greater AOA creates increasing drag, resulting in slower speed, but requires more power, resulting in shorter battery duration.

Everything in physics is a tradeoff!!

But remember: "Reverse Engineering" is using a finished product that you did not produce in an analytical way to produce the same, or similar product - NOT merely making a copy!!
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:25 PM
Joined Dec 2009
229 Posts
Any wing with ditheral or low cg has self leveling tendencies.
IM back! is online now Find More Posts by IM back!
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:43 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
United States, AR, Waldron
Joined Jan 2005
521 Posts
I believe he is referring to the roll axis and dihedral is the correct answer.
Denile is offline Find More Posts by Denile
Old Oct 21, 2013, 03:17 PM
Weltherrschaft will be mine
Germany, SN, Leipzig
Joined Nov 2012
285 Posts
I think thats called a rogallo wing, defines itself by forming an airfoil through the air itself...... but not 100% shure
borkencorter is online now Find More Posts by borkencorter
Old Oct 21, 2013, 03:37 PM
Joined May 2001
2,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkencorter View Post
I think thats called a rogallo wing, defines itself by forming an airfoil through the air itself...... but not 100% shure
How do you go from a Mini Vapor to a Rogallo wing??
Old Oct 21, 2013, 08:09 PM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
498 Posts
Shouldn't be too difficult to swap the mini Vapour wing for a Rogallo along the lines of the Gymetto, only smaller.
Micro Gymetto RC plane flight - Gymallo's little brother (1 min 38 sec)
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old Oct 22, 2013, 04:57 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
Thanks for all the informative responses!
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old Oct 22, 2013, 05:57 PM
Beijing, China
Joined Nov 2006
1,223 Posts
Your question, at first, made me think you wanted to know what a "reflexed" airfoil is. However, it's not used on a Vapor, but on flying wings.

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/flywing1.htm
reylf_gnijieB is offline Find More Posts by reylf_gnijieB
Old Oct 23, 2013, 03:03 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
The Vapor wings (all variations of them) are close to elliptical, which is considered the most efficient planform. They are really more ovoid but close to the elliptical ideal.

Stability comes from two things, the dihedral, (Vee shape) of the wing and washout, which is the twist of the wing from root to tip. If the airfoil points down at the tip relative to the root it's called washout and increases stability by enabling the tip to stall later than the root.

If you accidentally put washin (the opposite twist) in a wing it will usually become a tip stalling monster and be very difficult to fly slowly.

Naturally both wings should have almost the same twist except that sometimes a small difference in twist is used to compensate for torque.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined May 2001
2,309 Posts
...............don't you get the idea that we're shining flashlights on an invisible object, here...............................

Just wondering.............
Old Oct 23, 2013, 07:14 PM
M16 CIII/AR15/FN 2000 and PS90
United States, AR, Waldron
Joined Jan 2005
521 Posts
Yup!
Denile is offline Find More Posts by Denile
Old Oct 23, 2013, 08:40 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,073 Posts
IMO the Mini Vapor flies like erm.. Crap. Not surprising as it was intended for Children.
A few do like it though.. go figure.
Frankly your uni project seems a wee bit lame, especially so if genuine.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined May 2001
2,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
IMO the Mini Vapor flies like erm.. Crap. Not surprising as it was intended for Children.
A few do like it though.. go figure.
Frankly your uni project seems a wee bit lame, especially so if genuine.
I disagree. If you want a slow, sedate, stable, reliable, dependable, economical small-space indoor flyer, then the MV fits the bill.

Outside in 5+ MPH winds, attempts to fly 3D manuevers, whatever, manuevers the plane was never design for, then I might concede. But that is not what the plane was meant for.

In my indoor group of about 10 - 12 fliers, 5 of us have them and love 'em. But then, we're all well-experienced, long time fliers.

I gave one to my brother-in-law after his open heart surgery as a means to occupy his idle time before he was cleared to go back to work, he learned to fly it in no time. And, you know what? He had never flown any RC plane before!!

I'd like to know what your definition of crap is!! C'mon, I can take it!!!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:25 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,204 Posts
I like both Vapors and also the Gymallo, the bigger brother to the Micro Gymetto. They were not designed for aerobatics, though they can be forced into a loop, if there is enough power. But not pretty.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero