Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:48 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,019 Posts
Excellent story with a perfect outcome PJ3.

What I really want to know is ..............were you able to pull the dirty doughnut switcheroo on your wife?

I can't see the photo well. What is that mangled sailplane?
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:11 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,281 Posts
Ava?

Here's a short video from yesterday. Alas, the camera ran out of juice before the 20 minute flight. 20 minutes!

('Ill rotate it later)

Radian soaring over San Jose (7 min 47 sec)
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:46 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,350 Posts
E-Pulsar 3.2 REF. Loved that plane.

Got another bakery story but it'll have to wait.

Can't recall what became of wife's donut and I'm not going to ask her...
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:37 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Nice Lil'. 20 minutes with a Radian is nothing though. Back before mine threw a prop blade and vibrated the nose off of it, I had done multiple 1hr+ flights. One thing I did, and it seemed to make it better if you can believe that, was to cut some of the foam out of the back of the battery compartment so I could fit a 2200mAh LiPo. The added wing loading I think made it a better plane, and though the weight was forward of suggested CG, it wasn't much compared to the stock 1300mAh location.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:51 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,281 Posts
Ey, give the rookie credit. This is my second longest flight, beat only by the 36 minutes on the GL.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:11 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Not knockin' ya. Just expect to spend a lot more time in the air.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:59 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,019 Posts
PJ3,

Do you still have the damaged Pulsar? If so, I can contact a buddy of mine that may still have his. May be enough parts to resurrect yours.

Upon further reflection on your All in the Family auto accident I believe I'll pass the info onto to my daughters. Possible it will be more economical for them to just run into each other from now on instead of "sharing the love" all around.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:03 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,019 Posts
Katie, I believe TJ was commenting on the flying qualities of the Radian, not your flying skills.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:16 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Remind me again, please: If a model is pitching up and down as it flies, like a mild case of dolphining, is it nose-heavy or is it balanced right on the edge, and is too sensitive? I'm reviewing the video from today's flight of the Radian, and it's making small bobbing motions, oscillating.
If it does this hands-off (that is, you're not moving the sticks), then it's probably nose-heavy. If so, you should be able to stabilize it by leading the pitch oscillation with opposite elevator (push as it's just starting to pitch up and pull as it's just starting to pitch down - you may need to adjust lead timing a bit). If it does this while you're flying it hands-on, it may be too much elevator throw, or CG too far back. Trim it for a nice glide speed with a smooth, gentle hand-toss, then try throwing it hard, straight at the horizon or slightly down. Does it pitch up into a stall? Probably nose-heavy. If it pitches down, probably tail heavy. Adjust balance and elevator throw to taste.
Wazmo is offline Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Feb 04, 2013, 06:40 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,281 Posts
Waz, I moved he battery and camera forward a bit more, and (barring surprises on review) that seems to have cured it. ;-) I got distracted, and didn't try a dive test. I wanted to know why there were three whirlybirds hovering over my neighborhood more than I did if I got the CG perfect yet.

Sean, yeah. I was just trying to five him a hard time. I guess it backfired. Whoops! :blush:
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Feb 04, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:39 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,281 Posts
So, fellas, what should I call it? "Am Pm" or "Am Pam"?

Sorry it's not my best. I was trying to fly with one hand and man the camera with the other. Easy enough, just nose into the wind and hover for a bit.. snap... OK, quick, switch hands. Whew!

The left wingtip is really a dark plum color. When it gets up high something funny happens to the pigment in the marker ink, and it goes all rosy. Heh. Magic color-changing Radian.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:42 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,019 Posts
Let's call it the "Chameleon" from now on.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:49 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
Waz, I moved he battery and camera forward a bit more, and (barring surprises on review) that seems to have cured it. ;-) I got distracted, and didn't try a dive test. I wanted to know why there were three whirlybirds hovering over my neighborhood more than I did if I got the CG perfect yet.
The Radian is really bad at the dive test, due to its flexible fuselage aft of the wing. Mine had a fairly neutral dive test until I stiffened the tail section with some 12K carbon tows (three each top, bottom, and both sides). After that, dive test resulted in a pretty significant pull up without any balance or trim change, due to the much stiffer tail section. I moved the CG back and I'm happier with it now. The carbon reinforcement also made a significant improvement in tail twisting.
Wazmo is offline Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:52 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,639 Posts
Here ya go Katie.. I did all this to my Radian but haven't had a chance to test fly yet. Folks swear by the techniques though....

http://glidefast.typepad.com/glidefa...ree-video.html
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:58 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Yes, I was commenting on the flight characteristics of the Radian, not your flying skills. I also stiffened the tail of mine with carbon fiber, but rather than tow, I used flat stock set into the foam on each side by cutting a slit into it and glueing it in with some Gorilla Glue.